Severe Drought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radar View Post
    The oaks that shed their leaves early that year did they survive?

Yes....surprisingly most did. My landowner was very concerned he was going to lose them all. Luckily the cedars that turned yellow and red died..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      Yes....surprisingly most did. My landowner was very concerned he was going to lose them all. Luckily the cedars that turned yellow and red died..
      I dont have cedars but lots of Hackberry and China Berry, them dang things can all die off.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
        We lost a ton of big mature oaks in Mason that year. Me and dad still are amazed at the dead trees we have. Oak wilt was awful. We need rain too. Luckily we have water wells and a couple big ponds.
        I have a nice Post Oak in the corner of the property that is about 36" across at the stump. A couple weeks ago I noticed the leaves are all dried up and still attached. I am sure it died, the bad thing is I just had new 5 strand wire put up near it on two sides. If it falls it will wipe out the new fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
          I have a nice Post Oak in the corner of the property that is about 36" across at the stump. A couple weeks ago I noticed the leaves are all dried up and still attached. I am sure it died, the bad thing is I just had new 5 strand wire put up near it on two sides. If it falls it will wipe out the new fence.
          A 36" Oak has seen a lot. Its been through some droughts. It must be REAL bad up there... SAD. I hope it makes it..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            Our place is an oasis compared to 2010-2011 and its dry as hell here too.. We had like 4 /10s in 1.5 years in 2010-2011... dead yellow cactus, dead red cedars, oaks dropping leaves in desperation, no grass. etc etc.
            We haven't had any measurable rain fall since March and that was only .57".. And hardly any before that..

Comment

We took advantage of the dry conditions and had our pond dug out. It'll be 30ft. deep when full now. May be spring before we get any water.

[ATTACH]1028888[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett View Post
                Yep Hondo creek bone dry , our new nd is fighting to keep what it has.

I just bought a place on Hondo creek last month. Property is extremely dry and deer are in very poor condition. The creek is still flowing along my property so I assume it only gets deeper in a normal year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It’s a lot drier than normal this time of year at my place in East Texas

Comment

Bad news! It’s only going to get worse, a La Niña pattern started in October and going to last through June of 2021 maybe longer.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                      Bad news! It’s only going to get worse, a La Niña pattern started in October and going to last through June of 2021 maybe longer.
                      I bet you’re a lot of fun at parties...

I read about the La Nina a month or so ago, not good.

I’m in Ft. Bend County and we haven’t had hardly any rain in months.

Comment

Haven’t had any runoff type rain since Augusta 2019
                        My place is the worst it has been for this time of yr since 2005

Comment

I was meeting with a hydro engineer on Wednesday morning and was asking about our urgency to complete this drainage easement, and he stated “ no problem with urgency we are in a dryer period and it’s not trending to wet for awhile , so quit worrying “ I of course being in a perpetual state of motion immediately was switched to “ oh crude not a dry winter “
                          It not looking great In sisterdale, el dorado or sinton, seems the pattern is off kilter
                          Praying we don’t go 2010-2011 patterns! If it does let’s hope it’s not a 1948-1957 one !!

“” The 1950s Texas drought was a period between 1949 and 1957 in which the state received 30 to 50% less rain than normal, while temperatures rose above average. ... The drought was described by a state water official as "the most costly and one of the most devastating droughts in 600 years."

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                            I bet you’re a lot of fun at parties...

I read about the La Nina a month or so ago, not good.

I’m in Ft. Bend County and we haven’t had hardly any rain in months.
                            Your right, I hate party’s. Lol

Comment

Wise County is very dry. Chance tomorrow.

Comment

Getting really dry in Atascosa county.

Comment

Working...
                                X