Storing extra seed for a year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storing extra seed for a year?

Could I store some extra food plot seed for a year in a shop and it still be good to plant? Is there any trick to storing it?

For gardening we store seed in the freezer.

Comment

Keep it dry.

Comment

I've kept Buckforage oats for a year in the barn for a year with planting success. I just kept it dry

Comment

I keep garden seeds in the garage fridge. Some have been in there for years and still grow. Have kept oats and rye (50 lb bags) in the garden shed for a couple years and they still worked OK. Got a 10lb bag of buckwheat for cover in the garden. Only used a couple lbs this summer. Will see how well they keep in the house.

Comment

Keep dry, cool climate best.

Does it have inoculate on it? The bacteria would need to be kept in a cool place. Not in a hot garage or barn for a year.

Comment

You can keep it but your germination percentage drops.

Comment

I would just overseed instead of save it.

Comment

Put it in sealed container. Rats and mice will year it up if they can get to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BlakeJ View Post
                    Could I store some extra food plot seed for a year in a shop and it still be good to plant? Is there any trick to storing it?
                    5 gallon bucket. Just keep it dry

Comment

The freezer works great if not put it in the house with consistant temps, maybe under the bed!!!!

Comment

Weevils will be in it, the problem is that the seed companies store this stuff in warehouses that contain all kinds of seeds and sometimes feed.

I had oat seed left over and put it in sealed 5 gallon buckets. The next fall it was full of weevils and useless.

Comment

I have kept it a full year, it might depend on the seed type. I just planted some year old medium red clover and it’s up and running. I stored some plot screen seed for three years because I only needed a little of it each year. It was stored in a rat proof storage building but it got hot as heel in the summer. Still germinated to the bottom of the bag. I had a half bag of wheat left over from last year and I just mixed it in with whatever I planted last week, but I can’t tell you it germinated. Here’s the clover.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I planted everything in our autumn garden from seeds I found in the shop fridge dated 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X