No announcement yet.

Arrow after the kill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a couple arrows that have killed a few times, been re-fletched and killed a few more times. If the check out on inspection and shoot good after being cleaned up then they're back put back into service.

Comment

Don't wipe it too clean before reuse. Save the mojo.

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
        Yep
        Also would spine test it
        Flex test new broad head, rinse repeat

Comment

I wash it off in the windmill trough and then screw on a new broadhead and use it again.

Comment

Originally posted by timberking View Post
            Don't wipe it too clean before reuse. Save the mojo.
            Yes sir, I’m a fan of a little blood on em

Comment

Once it goes thru an animal it becomes one of my practice arrows.

Comment

clean it, inspect it, sharpen it and nock it.

Comment

Inspect the arrow, flex it, and hold by one end and tap it and listen to the sound compared to another arrow.
                  Change the head and use it.
                  I had an old fiberglass arrow explode in my bow and send the rear 8 inches of the shaft sticking out of the back of my thumb. It took years before I had full feeling in that area of my thumb and I picked fiberglass out as it worked to the surface for years afterward.
                  My arrow had been nicked by another arrow as I shot those tight little groups while practicing and didn't check my arrow before I shot it.
                  that was back in the early 70's and to this day I don't like to shoot one spot groups.
                  I will on occasion but I'd rater shoot a five spot target if I'm in the zone.
                  If you like to shoot robin hoods and bust nocks, you better get in the habit of inspecting your arrows before you shoot them.
                  Last edited by Jimbo47; 09-12-2019, 08:49 AM.

Comment

not every animal is a trophy, but every one is a memory,,,, i started keeping mine years ago ( lost in harvey flood) i drilled a couple boards and stuck the arrows in the holes at about a 45 angle with a tag recalling the place, date, animal and distance,,,,, i retired everyone after it had made a kill,, it showed the progression of the arrows heads and fletching i had used over the years...

since i had an archery shop replacing arrows was a non issue to me,, i had 50 something stuck in the boards

Comment

Originally posted by iamntxhunter View Post
                      Yes but I do flex it just a bit to make sure all is good.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
                      Same here. Usually get a few kills out of one.....if it doesn’t blow thru and I lose it.

Comment

Alot of guys must have arrow sponsors, I wipe off, replace blades on slick trick and back to quiver. Guess my gold tips are tougher than others......back in aluminum days was a "little" different but most were misses hitting rocks

Comment

I killed 7 with the same XX75 2514 fletched with 5" feathers and the same Thunderhead 125 before I finally lost it on the 7th..
                          All I ever did was re-sharpen BH after every kill..

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                            Flex it replace/resharpen broadhead and fling it at the next critter
                            I do this unless it breaks or I kill a nice buck with it. Then it lays across the antlers for a momento.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              You guys who retire an arra after killin' somethin' with it, must not shoot many animals... I've had arras that have killed over a dozen animals before getting broke or lost, etc... many get refletched many times or have inserts/broadheads replaced and such, but as long as the shaft passes the flex test and visual inspection, a killin' arra goes in the #1 spot in my quiver...
                              That's what I was thinking! I clean them and most of the time they go right back in the quiver with a sharp head on them.

Comment

Clean em off and shoot something else with them!

Comment

Working...
                                X