No announcement yet.

My Daughter Was Drawn at Chaparral WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been down there for Javelina with my son several times.
    One year they let us shoot does too.
    One of my favorite WMA's and you always see wildlife.

Comment

I checked, we applied for the either sex hunt where you can kill a big buck. Has not been drawn yet

Comment

The chairs that seem to work the best for their blinds are the ones that fold flat because they sit higher.
        She will have a great time.

Comment

Good luck to her. I put my middle kid in for Chap, too. Guess she didn't draw.

Comment

Well, it wasn't for Chap, but she still didn't draw. Showing loyalty point.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
              When we were there 2 years ago you picked your area based off of what number your ticket was drawn. Ours was drawn second, so we basically had to decide on the entire area! It might have changed since then, im not sure.

OP, this will be one of the most exciting hunts you'll go on. When you get there and see some of the bucks that have came off the WMA, it will surely get the blood flowing. Look at a map that shows drainages and try to set up near those. Best of luck.
              I think they were drawn for antlerless hunt. They will assign areas for that cause there are so many standbys, they really slice up the hunt areas.

On the buck hunts, yep you pick your poison.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Yeah, she was drawn for antlerless/spike. I put her in for some either sex hunts, but also some antlerless hunts that had decent hunter success rates and draw rates.

Since I hunt bigger pieces of public land and don't have an "easy hunt" for her to cut her teeth on, I really just wanted her to get a chance to hunt. What (or if) she gets to shoot isn't as important as getting out there and seeing some wildlife. At 8 years old, a mile walk with gear and a long day of sitting and seeing nothing isn't going to provide the kind of experience that will help her enjoy hunting. She's already hooked on duck hunting and I think it won't be too tough to hook her on deer hunting as well. She just needs the right spark. A few more years and I figure she'll be walking in to places like Caddo NGL and Pat Mayse with me.

Comment

That's not a good place to "cut their teeth" with.........If that's their first real hunting experience it will ruin them for life.

Good luck and have fun!

Comment

My boy and I got drawn for A/S at the Chap 11/5-6. We are pumped! First time hunting the Chap and looking forward to it!

Comment

My son was drawn there last year. The staff is top notch and the facilities are great. We slept at the campground and were very comfortable. He missed a doe but did shoot a nice boar javi. One youth hunter shot 2 warthogs on the first day of the hunt. Take an electronic caller and thin out the coyotes. They are thick.

Comment

Been there many times. You will have a blast. If you want you and your girl to see a lot of deer, find a few senderos that cross and hand corn all directions out to a comfortable shooting distance. If you want a better chance at a mature deer, get off the roads and look for rubs/scrapes along the edge of the clear cuts (aeration strips). Good luck!

Comment

I used to get drawn all the time, one string of good luck had me drawn 5 yrs in a row at Richland Creek, it has now been 7 yrs since being drawn. Payback I guess!

Comment

I worked on the WMA as an intern. During my intern and doing my normal routes i would see lots of in the West Guajolote and East Guajalote, along with both blocker pastures. Their is a pretty good sized pond in East Guajalote pasture that i would go sit at in the evenings just to watch and would see several deer come down to water. Hope this info helps and good luck to your and your daughter.

Comment

Working...
                            X