No announcement yet.

Satellite Internet for Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We ended up contacting Nextlink. They are coming out to install two routers. I’ll keep you posted on how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
      We ended up contacting Nextlink. They are coming out to install two routers. I’ll keep you posted on how it works.
      Please do. I will be in a similar situation in a few months.

Comment

Never mind. Not available in my area

Comment

I have ViaSat and for most of what we do, which isn't much it is ok. For work stuff - h e double L no! It is so slow none of my work related programs will even open.

According to MadHatter, I can't even get NextLink or I'm guessing any other service due to low population in my area.

Now I'm looking for wireless because Verizon works beautifully but as they say, "it's unlimited data until you hit 30 Gig; it throttles way down."

Comment

NextLink should be pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
              I have ViaSat and for most of what we do, which isn't much it is ok. For work stuff - h e double L no! It is so slow none of my work related programs will even open.

According to MadHatter, I can't even get NextLink or I'm guessing any other service due to low population in my area.

Now I'm looking for wireless because Verizon works beautifully but as they say, "it's unlimited data until you hit 30 Gig; it throttles way down."
              I kinda dropped the ball on you, but I had to head north for a funeral.
              Let me get home, and I'll get in touch.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                I kinda dropped the ball on you, but I had to head north for a funeral.
                Let me get home, and I'll get in touch.
                Oh, ok! I thought I was S.O.L. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SNKETR View Post
                  from my understanding weboost will help mainly with voice. data is another thing. There's a facebook group for using a phone sim, but it's beyond my knowledge and i'm not confident (equipment selection and settings) in it enough to make the jump.
                  I just installed the Weboost at my farm last month. We are in a low spot near the river in Falls Co, and every local company wants to install a $3,000 tower and then put a dish on it. Nextlink, CentralLink, and Windstream by Kinetic were who we tried. My shop is 24ft tall and that wasn't high enough for any signal.

We went from 1 or 2 bars on the phone in random places outside and constant dropped/missed calls and zero data, to 5 bars at the house and shop. No more missed phone calls, and the data seems unaffected - we can now browse online forums, facebook, online shopping, etc. All things we could not do before the Weboost.

I will say that we are also signed up for Starlink, but they pushed our install time back from this November to spring 2022. We will see what happens.

If you have cell service at your property, just not in the main areas, then I highly recommend the weboost unit!
                  Last edited by chaseh; 12-03-2021, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Just dropped Viasat- junk and expensive!

Comment

I have had Viasat for 3 years now. It is the only option I have other then Hughes. It does what we need it to do. As far as just doing normal playing around on the computer it’s fine. The wife has some issues trying to download videos. I used to have fiber optic and no it’s not even close to that. I pay out the butt for data. We watch Netflix and other stuff online. We usually run out of data before the end of the month and get throttled down. If it’s the only option you have you can’t really call and tell them to take it out.

Comment

I have great cell phone service, but terrible internet.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Install 2 routers..?
                            Installing a radio of some sort as well?
                            If not, it sounds like they are putting in a sim router, which will be a Blazing Hog, OTR type of service.
                            Has it's downfalls but leaps ahead of Viasat, Hughes, Wild Blue, etc..
                            I was at a conference in St Louis last week, along with Nextlink and others, previewing new equipment that is about to hit the market, and it will be a gamechanger for rural people.
                            Gig × 500 is coming wirelessly within the next year.
                            With all the CAF funding the gov is opening up, the rural build out in Texas is fixing to take a big leap.

Comment

Satellite internet is the devil and Viasat is beyond belief terrible. It feels dialup slow and expensive as heck. AND you are locked into a 2 years contract. That is because nobody would keep that crap by choice. I tried to cancel between the 4 and 5 week mark. Nope. Bought out the contract at the 18 month point.

Ended up installing a 60’ tower to be able to get the line of sight internet. Night and day difference.

Not “city” internet for sure but so much better than Viasat.

Comment

If you are getting stuck with a contract I would be very very sure about the speed before the installer left. Otherwise you are screwed.

Comment

Working...
                                X