East Texas questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas questions

1. On food plots like oats n rye, will bucks start coming to them when rut is over and later in the year? This is our first time with one….in Van Zandt County.

2. I want to start feeding protein like the neighbors around me. I have a couple feeders with timers. I found a gravity tube that looks like it takes the place of the feeder unit. Something like this https://www.carterscountry.com/produ...y-gravity-tube

Would this work or would you need longer extension?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a close friend of mine who has several ranches in Canton and his bucks have really grown the last several years, he stop[ped protien and he has added bluestem it is a perenial its used for forage landscaping wildlife conservastion and erosion control

Comment

Originally posted by howie1968 View Post
      I have a close friend of mine who has several ranches in Canton and his bucks have really grown the last several years, he stop[ped protien and he has added bluestem it is a perenial its used for forage landscaping wildlife conservastion and erosion control
      thanks

Comment

I planted Oats and Wheat this year and the deer were all over it this weekend. Madison County

Comment

Originally posted by npe001 View Post
          I planted Oats and Wheat this year and the deer were all over it this weekend. Madison County

We saw lot of doe Saturday evening. Only one young 6pt.

Comment

I plant oats and rye together in the areas that I don’t hunt. First frost or freeze the oats will burn a little but the rye will keep growing. The deer hit it hard. If you have enough acreage a good spring planting of Iron and Clay cowpeas is a great choice and very bineficial for the deer. Small plots will get wiped out though. I plant about 9 acres and it works for me. As far as the feeder tube it will work as long as your feeder legs are short enough to put the tubes eye level with the deer.
            Attached Files

Comment

does that spout attach to any barrel? or specific to american hunter feeders?

Comment

Deer really start utilizing our oat plots after the first freeze or two, and it kills off the natural browse.

You will always get a better bang for your buck (no pun intended) in food plots over any protein feeder programs. I would spend my time and energies there. Include peas as already mentioned in the spring and start some clover as well for late season/early spring forage.

If you do go protein feeders, I would seriously consider troughs over tube feeders. Also, have dedicated feed location/food plots that get zero hunting pressure. What ever you use, fence out the pigs.
                Last edited by Greenheadless; 11-29-2021, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
                  does that spout attach to any barrel? or specific to american hunter feeders?
                  Yes. Just drill new holes.

Comment

Sambo, I planted Oats this year, early on they were eating it, but have seemed to backed off of it. Winter Wheat seems to be a better choice for our lease.

Comment

Do y’all have any luck with the morning hunts on the food plots? We have seen one deer in the morning hunts.

Comment

Talked to my cousin who owns the land. He planted wheat, oats, rye, clover and turnips.

Comment

Working...
                        X