No announcement yet.

FFL Denying ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He needs a copy of both for his purposes. Not just an LTC..

Comment

Is he not accepting your LTC for immediate transfer or are you not giving him your DL 411 & only wanting to give the LTC...I don't understand what the problem is.

Comment

Remember, a dealer can basically deny a transfer for any reason at all if they choose and simply force the customer to deal with someone else. I am betting he is being over cautious as the governing bodies are famous for being super strict at times.

Comment

Originally posted by TKRanch View Post
          Remember, a dealer can basically deny a transfer for any reason at all if they choose and simply force the customer to deal with someone else. I am betting he is being over cautious as the governing bodies are famous for being super strict at times.
          Problem would be that then he would charge me shipping the gun back to FL to the seller of the rifle and then I’d have to pay for shipping from FL again.

It won’t get this far obviously. I’ll just renew my DL license, it’ll just be a few more days wait. But that’s not the point. I should be able to pick up the rifle now it seems.
          Last edited by landman650; 11-28-2021, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
            He needs a copy of both for his purposes. Not just an LTC..
            Where does the law state this because it doesn’t as far as I can tell. You only need 1 form of ID for a background check.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              I do believe a ffl is no different from any other business. If they don't want your business you are sol.
              Maybe… I’m no legal expert on operating a business in Texas. However the exception is for the repercussions of denying my business which is he would make me pay to ship it back to original owner and I’d be paying shipping 3x for the back and forth.

Comment

Originally posted by TKRanch View Post
                Yeah. He can be overly cautious but state law says he can’t deny my use of TLC as a form of ID.

Comment

AN ACT
                  relating to the use of a concealed handgun license as valid proof of
                  personal identification.
                  BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
                  SECTION 1. Subtitle A, Title 11, Business & Commerce Code,
                  is amended by adding Chapter 506 to read as follows:
                  CHAPTER 506. CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSES AS VALID FORMS OF
                  PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION
                  Sec. 506.001. CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE AS VALID PROOF OF
                  IDENTIFICATION. (a) A person may not deny the holder of a
                  concealed handgun license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411,
                  Government Code, access to goods, services, or facilities, except
                  as provided by Section 521.460, Transportation Code, or in regard
                  to the operation of a motor vehicle, because the holder has or
                  presents a concealed handgun license rather than a driver's license
                  or other acceptable form of personal identification.
                  (b) This section does not affect:
                  (1) the requirement under Section 411.205, Government
                  Code, that a person subject to that section present a driver's
                  license or identification certificate in addition to a concealed
                  handgun license; or
                  (2) the types of identification required under federal
                  law to access airport premises or pass through airport security.
                  SECTION 2. This Act takes effect September 1, 2015.

Comment

Posted the language of the law since it’s a short and concise read. Not much gray area.

Comment

I have no input on your issue at hand but this made me remember when I was in my young 20s and baby faced.

I'd get ID'd at bars and they'd ask for a 2nd form of ID. I'd then show them my CHL that had same pic of my DL. No one that asked ever found it funny. lol

Comment

Originally posted by landman650 View Post
                        Posted the language of the law since it’s a short and concise read. Not much gray area.
                        Unless I missed it, there is a huge gray area. It lists no penalty for noncompliance. It tells a business you will accept an LTC but leaves it at that. I even went back to the first chapter and tried to find a general penalty like some codes have and then in that title but could not find anything.

And….. I think it is Chapter 507, Section 507.001.

It kind of seems like the law on notifying an officer that you have an LTC if you are detained and carrying however they took away the penalty. You may have broken the law but there are no consequences.

Comment

I can sympathize with your frustration, but it sounds like you're gonna have to go along, to get along with this guy. Otherwise it's gonna cost you more time and money. Since you've dealt with him before and he knows who you are, can't your exist/expired TDL, along with a printed copy of your license renewal receipt work to satisfy his request?

Comment

The ffl can deny transfer for any reason. When I sold guns if we had a person that we felt was up to no good we would just say sorry can’t sell you a gun

Comment

Federal law (ffl) not state law is the answer to this.

Comment

1st Question: Does he know your DL is expired? This alone would throw up a red flag to me as a business owner SELLING A FIREARM! Even the fact that you couldn't produce one would make me leary. As a business owner; A FFL in today's climate, I don't blame the guy one bit. His livelihood is at stake, the only thing at stake for you is your patience.

From his perspective, a man that can't get his chit together enough to know his Drivers License is expired (Especially if he knows it can't be renewed for whatever reason) and get it remedied, isn't responsible enough to own a firearm.

Get your chit in order, Clark.

Comment

Working...
                                X