No announcement yet.

Fishing etiquette....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to think it was just newbies who didn't know better. Now I'm convinced it's just idiots who don't care. At this point it's gotta be something really stupid or dangerous for me to get worked up.

Comment

A friend and I were bass fishing out of my canoe one afternoon in a very stump filled slough. We were catching a 2-3 pound bass every other cast. A bass boat with a 200hp motor came by us wide open less than 20 feet from us, dang near swamped us. 50 yards past us he hit a stump and knocked the foot off his motor. He hollered at us for some help getting to the boat launch across the slough....ya'll know what we told him he could do

Comment

I use to blow up, yell, cuss, shoot the bird, cut do nuts, etc, etc. It's not worth it. It's not worth the stress.

I pretty much get run over, cut off or otherwise messed up daily. It's amazing we catch as many fish as we do on the weekends. Most of the time it is by folks who I am convinced just don't know any better. But many just don't care about anyone else and do know better.

The general stupidity I see is mind boggling. Like the guy who has to drive over the top of a piece of structure. Drives across it to get upwind and start a drift vs drive around it to get upwind. So they run across, kill the motor and drift back thru where they just ran. I see that all the time. It screws up everyone's fishing, not just their's. Also the guy who is oblivious to everyone. There are 20 boats drifting a popular drift spot and everyone getting along and respecting one another's space and here he comes, going from point A to point B and doesn't give a rip where he runs. Goes thru the whole big group of drift fishermen like a slalom course. Just as easy to circle upwind and not run through where everyone is fishing. And I can't tell you how often I stop to make a drift and am all alone, get ready to go to go back around for another drift and I have 9 or 12 boats lined up on my drift. One boat stops and oh, shoot, they must know something. We better stop and see what they are catching. That all happens dang near daily. Plus many more neat tricks.

Comment

Maybe TP&W should have a required class to attend to renew/license boats.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
            You guys need some training on how to fish around other people!
            Ah, the Russian River combat fishing zone. Been there and done that.

Comment

Dad and I were in Petersburg,AK fishing for Halibut on DIY trip. We were with a group of 14-16 people at the lodge. Was 1st time up there and didn't know anyone. Well after couple days of fishing Dad and I were catching limits everyday while others weren't catching any. We get to our spot and there's 3 boats there from our lodge within 100 yds of each other and we found a spot safely away from them. One boat told us no one had caught anything in 2 hrs. In 45 mins Dad and I already had 3 halibuts in boat. One of boat pulls anchor and ends up anchoring 40 feet from us. I was pretty ****** about it until one of guys has to take a pizz off boat in 2-3' wakes. I kindly snapped an up close picture of him pizzing. Well that evening while eating dinner with everyone that guy started quizzing me on what we were doing to catch fish so easy. I told him 1st off don't get so close to other boats and proceeded to show him pic of himself pizzing off side of boat and the picture ended up getting passed around the whole lodge. He was pizzed but guess what? NOT ONE BOAT FISHED WITHIN 100 YDS OF US REST OF TRIP

Comment

That looks like every wading spot during the flounder run .

Comment

Originally posted by splitbeam145 View Post
                  Dad and I were in Petersburg,AK fishing for Halibut on DIY trip. We were with a group of 14-16 people at the lodge. Was 1st time up there and didn't know anyone. Well after couple days of fishing Dad and I were catching limits everyday while others weren't catching any. We get to our spot and there's 3 boats there from our lodge within 100 yds of each other and we found a spot safely away from them. One boat told us no one had caught anything in 2 hrs. In 45 mins Dad and I already had 3 halibuts in boat. One of boat pulls anchor and ends up anchoring 40 feet from us. I was pretty ****** about it until one of guys has to take a pizz off boat in 2-3' wakes. I kindly snapped an up close picture of him pizzing. Well that evening while eating dinner with everyone that guy started quizzing me on what we were doing to catch fish so easy. I told him 1st off don't get so close to other boats and proceeded to show him pic of himself pizzing off side of boat and the picture ended up getting passed around the whole lodge. He was pizzed but guess what? NOT ONE BOAT FISHED WITHIN 100 YDS OF US REST OF TRIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Kinda like bob hall pier on cinco de mayo, combat zone fishing
                    Game wardens aren’t there for fish and game , but to just maintain order

Comment

Originally posted by fulldraw_529 View Post
                      What gets me too is when I'm coming in from a back lake, and some idiot is anchored in the channel I have to run through to get out, just soaking some bait. Cuss me all you want, but I'm running by you to get out...not my fault you decided to fish a boat lane
                      Wouldn't it be more polite to idle by them? Those fish in the back lakes have to travel to get there through that canal. All fishermen deserve respect, regardless of their means, methods and location.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                        Fritos works wonders. Plenty of oil to induce slicks, and will get the seagulls working. They are a staple of my October fishing.
                        I fish Big Lake/Calcasieu in La when the bite is good and this is a real deal over there. Several guides will keep their fish carcasses from the day before and on the way south, they drop some in a couple of areas and the birds will get on them fast. It takes a bit for folks to see what has happened and by that time, the guide boats are well south of the crowds and have the fish to themselves for a little while. It only took two mornings of that for me to learn and I just keep heading down the lake.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          Wouldn't it be more polite to idle by them? Those fish in the back lakes have to travel to get there through that canal. All fishermen deserve respect, regardless of their means, methods and location.
                          Some places you have to stay on plane, they know this, they just park their boats there anyway. And I have idled by many times as well when the depth allows, got yelled at for that too. I'd rather someone just stay on plane and get on with it, quicker you can run through the quicker everything will settle back down. Spend the time idling through you're more likely to push any game fish out of there for a longer period of time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by splitbeam145 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Fishing etiquette....

Originally posted by Mike View Post

If a person is anchored in a known boat lane, I’m not coming off plane unless it’s to avoid an accident. My boat drafts about 8-10” less on plane than at idle and like many things in life, I need every inch I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                                If a person is anchored in a known boat lane, I’m not coming off plane unless it’s to avoid an accident. My boat drafts about 8-10” less on plane than at idle and like many things in life, I need every inch I can get.
                                I won't fish an area that boats have to run through for obvious reasons. If you're gonna anchor up there like you own it, be prepared to be really ****** at a lot of people.

Comment

Working...
                                X