Bowhunting with FFF Safaris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowhunting with FFF Safaris

Well Robert and Dwight Furgenson arrived ar Johannesburg International Airport at 21:30 last week Saturday.

We drove straight to the concession and finally settled down for a couple of hours of sleep.

Sunday morning was relaxed having breakfast, checking the bow is still shooting where it’s supposed to after the long travels and a game drive throughout the concession.

Robert shoots a PSE Stealth II with Valkyrie 200gr broad heads.

Sunday afternoon we got to our first session in the blind getting them used to what needs to be done and what not in a blind when animals are less than 20 yards away.

Just before sunset they got treated by a Southern Less Galago that came to drink water, I have never seen them on the ground while its still light.

On the way to camp we saw Matebele Ants returning from a raid on a termite mount returning with the spoils of war.

Monday found us in an elevated hide and it was not long before the effects of the long travels caught up with them ...

But it did not take much to get Robert ready to shoot.

We came close to getting it done on a good Nyala bull on Monday late afternoon.

Tuesday found us early at a favorite pit blind of mine and we where just getting settled when an Impala ram was less than 10 yards from the hide, soon after the Cape Buffalo came in and left after drinking.

Around 13:00 a magnificent kudu bull stepped out and Robert let the Valkyrie fly at 25 yards, the bull made about 20 yards before going down with a well placed heart shot. The bull measured 53,5 inches, great way for a first time hunter to Africa to open his account.

To tell you the truth I am impressed with these Valkyrie broad heads, broke the shoulder bone on entry, full penetration and broke rib on exit. No damage to the broad head and still sharp enough for Robert to get a cut on the finger when we got back to camp.

Late afternoon we were spoiled by a Brown Hyena that walked right past the hide at 5 yards, again a special sighting in daylight.

Wednesday found us at an elevated hide battling with the gusting wind, very nice Nyala bull came in but then moved before getting a shot opportunity and that sets the tone for the day with warthog, impala and gemsbuck.

The Nyala came in for a 2nd and 3rd time but made the mistake on the 3rd time to stand quartering away at 28 yards and Robert let another Valkyrie fly.
    The Nyala went 75 yards before piling up.

Today finds us in another elevated hide with a cold front starting to move in, hopefully we will get a shot at a gemsbuck or Blue Wildebeest today, tomorrow we will be doing a photo safari to the Pilaansberg Park.

Stay tuned...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the stuff dreams are made of.

Comment

Starting to warm up quickly and a few waterbuck cows and young bulls,

Then the Gemsbuck came in and started dominating the area.

Robert let the Valkyrie fly and the Gemsbuck was down in 50 yards...

Comment

Another dream.

Comment

Looks like an awesome time. Keep the stories and pics coming!!!! Good luck on rest of trip.

Comment

Congrats on all the critters!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Another visitor

Comment

Awesome hunt! Congrats to the hunters

Comment

Congrats. Cant wait for the rest of the story.

Comment

nice. Congrats

Comment

Love reading your threads. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Well done!

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Cool thanks for taking us along!

Comment

Awesome animals congratulations to y’all.

Comment

Working...
                              X