Anyone do a DIY house re-pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4dog View Post
    as a plumber..i would like to see how that 500$ repipe looks and behaves...lol
    I'm not understanding your comment. I guess your saying, plumbers are the only ones able to do quality plumbing work?

Comment

It looks and behaves perfectly. My guess would be I did a better job than most plumbers would have. I’ve followed behind lots of plumbers in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
        I'm not understanding your comment. I guess your saying, plumbers are the only ones able to do quality plumbing work?

Exactly which is ridiculous. Lol

Comment

Its definitely do-able.

I have updated the water lines as I remodeled each room. Basically hit all 3 bathrooms and kitchen so far. PEX is a life saver and made things really easy. Just make sure you use nail plates on the studs.

I have not replaced the long runs though. Only at the rooms. I will get to that some day, one of these winters. lol

J

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
            I did mine. Ran pex through the walls and into the attic. The only hard part was crawling around in there.

It helped that I’m a short Meskin and not as round as some.
            Several years ago mine had busted for the umpteenth time in one of the walls in my laundry room, which is where the water came into the house anyway. So I did the same and ran pex up into the attic with no major issues....well except for being an average size honky and having to crawl around up there.

Pex is amazing to me especially after dealing with pvc/cpvc for most of my life.
            The brass fittings are expensive and I borrowed the crimping tool from a buddy so I didn't have the expense of buying the tool.

Comment

I wonder what all that quote includes. Does that include redoing any drywall or painting? Is that with a centralized manifold somewhere accessible like the garage? I could see how a few different variables could add a little to the cost. For $7000 I think I would consider doing it myself.

Comment

Union plumber? I hear those guys are the best

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

We bought an older mobile home on 10 acres in Huntsville. Really only wanted it for the land more so than the work in progress on the home. Inspector missed the fact that there was old piping that was supposed to be replaced in the 90’s after a big lawsuit. So we got stuck with it after the fact. Fully replaced with 3/4” Pex mainlines and 1/2” runs to the utilities. Cost us about 4500. They bought the piping and did some extra labor by installing new faucets, two showers, new water heater, and a new kitchen sink that i had already purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

$7K seems a bit high. We did a full renovation on a 2,500 SF 1.5 story home. The home was a 1965, so it was moving from old galvanized piping to plex. I believe the cost was right at $5,000.

With that said, we were doing a full gut-out, down to the studs reno, so many areas were pretty assessible and sheet rock repairs, etc., were not applicable.

I agree with the above poster that accessibility could affect a quote as well as possible required repairs to sheet rock/paint.

Just me, but this something I would not want to DIY. It obviously can be done, but I'll pass.

Comment

Those that have pex plumbing, any complaints?

Comment

Nope

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                        Those that have pex plumbing, any complaints?
                        Only been a few years but ours has been great.

Comment

Working...
                        X