New to bows - Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to bows - Advice needed

I went to the local “pro shop” today to try out some bows, but it didn’t go as planned. I walked in and he looked at me and said it’s gonna be hard to fit me to a bow. I told him I was new to bow hunting and he said I needed an entry level package bow.

I figured my draw length should be 30.5 to 31”, but the longest draw length he had was 30”. I shot it just to see, and it felt just a tad too short. I told him it was too short and he basically said tough luck, no one makes a bow with a longer draw length. I know this is BS, because I’ve been researching them online and I’ve seen them.

So I asked him about stepping up from the entry level to a higher end bow, if that would get me a 30.5 or longer draw length. He said nope, they don’t exist, have a look at this cross bow, it’s the only bow that’s going to fit you. Needles to say, I left there empty handed and will not be going back.

So now for the advice part. Can someone point me in the direction of some good first bows to look at that might fit me? I don’t want to spend a ton of money, but I don’t want to buy junk either. I don’t necessarily want a package either. I don’t mind putting things together to get me the highest quality I can afford. If it matters, I’m looking to stay around $1k or less, if possible.

Unfortunately, this is the only archery shop local to me. There are others, but they’re at least an hour and a half drive.

Your right, that guys full of ****!

I shoot a 31.5" draw and have for 30 years. Now a lot of bows won't go that long due to most companies making short Axle to Axle bows.
    But there are still some out there. Especially at 34" a to a and longer.

And Mathews even has/had a LD (long draw) version of one or two of their higher end bows at one time.

Where are you located ? And do you know if 31" is long enough, or do you need longer?
    Buying used off here is an option. You can always buy cams/modules to get your length, provided that particular bow is offered at your desired length.

But I'd still take that 1.5 hr drive to check out a reputable shop.

Let me do some looking and I'll get back to you.

Comment

I’m in central Texas near Waco. 31” should be long enough. I think 30.5” might do it. I found a package deal on a used Mathews traverse on eBay. It’s an archery shop out in the Carolina’s that has it listed. Seems set up good to me. It has a 5 pin sight, Mathews stabilizer, QAD drop away rest, and a half dozen gold tipped arrows. The dealer will set it up for any draw length and pull weight. I think the package price was around $1200. I just don’t know about buying my first bow off eBay. I’d sure like to shoot a few to see what feels good to me.

Comment

I'd definitely shoot some before buying off eBay. And not sure I'd buy off eBay at all.
        Don't let name brands fool you. I'm a firm believer in the Indian, more than the bow. Especially with today's technology.
        I'd focus on a bow at least 33" a to a, 7" brace, and 60# limbs for starters.

I just left PSE's site and they offer 3 or 4 that go to that length. I didn't check brace but a to a was 33" min.

I'm sure Bear offers some too. Probably Diamond as well. And most likely all of them offer something that could fit.

Main thing is to shoot as many as you can and find the one that fits you best / your most comfortable with.

*** Just checked Diamond & Hoyt. Surprisingly neither offer much along your lines. Bear has several, at affordable prices. My son shoots a Bear Motive. And it's pretty dang nice.
        Last edited by 12ring; 08-02-2022, 08:09 PM.

Comment

If you are in Waco- I would recommend Cinnamon Creek Archery in Ft. Worth or On Target Archery in Canton.

I would caution you to stick with pro bow shops and stay away from box store "archery departments"!! They normally know less that the shop you have already visited.

Comment

I may check that shop in ft worth out. I go up there once a month for board meetings.

Comment

That guy is an idiot and i dont know how he stays in business.

If you cant find a local shop with bows at your DL to shoot you could probably put a classifieds post that your looking for bows for sale that have a 31" DL and see what people have for sale.

If i was you id take a road trip/vacation close to a good shop and see what they have and get your hands on something.

Comment

Alvarado archery is an hour away too and they've been good to me when I've been in there.

Comment

Lol who is that guy ?

I have a bow that goes up to 34” draw length with the right mod it’s a Mathews Atlas

Comment

Shockingly, he’s a Mathews dealer.

Comment

I would check anywhere but On Target in Canton.
                      After much frustration with them, a member here finally got my issues worked out this past weekend.
                      On Target wanted to repeatedly blame me for the issue, instead of considering the fact, that maybe the issue was with the bow, which they set up.

Comment

I have some great bows for sale. All brand new at steep discounts…way below pro shop price. Most have adjustable draw lengths (no bow press needed) Bowtech Solution SS, Bowtech Convergence, PSE Brute. Shoot me a pm if you are interested. Thanks!

Comment

I shoot a 31.5 and in my experience when you start dealing with a guy who prefers one brand over the other (I wont mention which brand) they tell you to get over the shorter draw lengths and string angle that come with shorter axle to axle bows. If you can, go somewhere and shoot a hoyt ultra series. 34" axle to axle and super comfortable for tall dudes. I think West Houston Archery had a couple of RX-4's or 5's lightly used around your price range. Great bows.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips guys. I picked up a bowtech solution ss from Droptine Dreamer. It should be here tomorrow. Now on to getting arrows.

Comment

I live in Waco, and I go to Lampasas (Hoffy's). They have done me right.

Comment

Working...
                              X