Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer processing: I have questions, gosh darnit

Hey gang,

It's been a looong time since I've been on TBH. And now I can call myself a real bowhunter. I'll post about that separately... Eventually...

So, my buck is gutted, skinned, and chopped into quarters, on ice. Tenderloins and backstrap removed. I've been reading about getting it processed and how some processors prefer to have the skin on, whole, and other variables.

What are my options in the Houston area, given the work already done?

(I'm in Canyon Lake right now... Earl Bateman prepped my deer, and I'm debating on leaving it with a processor here to pick up at a later date, or taking it home to Houston).

Thanks! 😁

Just my opinion, considering the stage you are at, finish it up yourself. Freezer paper or vacuum sealer, tenderloins whole, slice the strap, keep front shoulders whole (BBQ whole), separate the hams into their own muscle sections and slice the larger (steak), qube/grind the smaller (stew/burger).

Check out some vids on Youtube, best of all you have your deer, not someone else's gut-shot/back of truck for 2 days meat.

Good luck.

Comment

Never met a processor yet that did not prefer a deer already on ice and quartered.
      Finding a good processor in your area should not be a problem.

Comment

Razorback, THAT is an excellent suggestion. It was on my mind... Thinking it can't be too hard. Have sharp knives, will slice.

Plus... I want to feel like I actually did some of the work besides loosing the arrow.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
          Never met a processor yet that did not prefer a deer already on ice and quartered.
          Finding a good processor in your area should not be a problem.
          Good to know for next time. Thank you. It seems I've got the bug again. 😉

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
            Just my opinion, considering the stage you are at, finish it up yourself. Freezer paper or vacuum sealer, tenderloins whole, slice the strap, keep front shoulders whole (BBQ whole), separate the hams into their own muscle sections and slice the larger (steak), qube/grind the smaller (stew/burger).

Check out some vids on Youtube, best of all you have your deer, not someone else's gut-shot/back of truck for 2 days meat.

Good luck.
            And Im afraid "getting someone else's meat" happens a lot..

Comment

No processor will be mad that you have your deer is skinned and quartered. They will be glad you do. I don't recommend you doing it yourself if you have never done it before. At least find someone willing to help you that is experienced in do it yourself processing. At the end of the day you want delicious table fare, not something that tastes like boot leather. I think you should take it and have it made into sausage, jerky, steaks, ground meat, and whatever else you wish, and enjoy it. Nothing wrong with doing it yourself, but it takes time, and experience to do it right.
              Last edited by AntlerCollector; 10-10-2018, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Call Dennis at D and C Processing in New Caney. You will not get someone else's meat ever! It will be the best venison you ever ate.

Comment

When I did my first one I had never done it before…..

It is really pretty easy. There are many youtube videos on how to cut it up. Basically just separate the muscles on the hindquarters into roasts and cut into steaks, or freeze whole so you can decide later what to do with it. I freeze the roasts whole because a lot of times I will slice thin for jerky. I just cut the meat off the bone on the front shoulders in no particular way, it all gets ground up. Back straps I will either freeze whole or cut in half to freeze, depends on size of animal.

You will need a grinder to grind all the scraps for burger or sausage. You can buy one for what it will cost to have one deer processed. It takes maybe an hour to do one after you have done a couple. I just don't like paying someone else to do something as easy as this. For me it has nothing to do with getting my own meat back like a lot of people will say.

Comment

If you’re looking for a processor in the Canyon Lake area, you may want to consider Granzins. They do a great job! I really like their dry sausage, and buck sticks.

Comment

A processor only cares if it is deboned as it might be more difficult to get specific cuts. Invest in a grinder. I do all of my own deer as I like to make sausages, sticks and different types of cuts to mask the gamey taste of a whitetail. Most others I take completely quartered in a ice chest to a locker to have done.

Comment

P.m. sent

Comment

Yep myself also. There is a first time for everything. I have never paid anyone to process a deer for me.
                          Originally posted by Rick View Post
                          When I did my first one I had never done it beforeā€¦..

It is really pretty easy. There are many youtube videos on how to cut it up. Basically just separate the muscles on the hindquarters into roasts and cut into steaks, or freeze whole so you can decide later what to do with it. I freeze the roasts whole because a lot of times I will slice thin for jerky. I just cut the meat off the bone on the front shoulders in no particular way, it all gets ground up. Back straps I will either freeze whole or cut in half to freeze, depends on size of animal.

You will need a grinder to grind all the scraps for burger or sausage. You can buy one for what it will cost to have one deer processed. It takes maybe an hour to do one after you have done a couple. I just don't like paying someone else to do something as easy as this. For me it has nothing to do with getting my own meat back like a lot of people will say.
                          Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Some processors actually prefer the deer to not be quartered.

Reason why is some people don't know how to quarter a deer and keep it clean. Busted bladder, gut shot not washed off, and the main reason is hair. I've seen a processor refuse to process and turn away a quartered deer (not mine) that was absolutely covered in hair and dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post

Good luck.
                              This would be my suggestion! You can get everything you need for less than you will pay to process 1 deer. You will have no doubts that you get YOUR deer back.
                              It can be a little overwhelming at first but there is tons of info out there to guide you!

Comment

Working...
                              X