Planning an 11 Night Pop-Up Camper Adventure - TX, NM, AZ, CO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MikeP View Post
    That’s going to be a lot of set ups and take downs with a pop up. I would suggest staying a couple of nights at each place and cutting your list of places to stay in half. Only see/stay at the top few places you want to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    x2 A vacation should be relaxing not stressful.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeP View Post
      That’s going to be a lot of set ups and take downs with a pop up. I would suggest staying a couple of nights at each place and cutting your list of places to stay in half. Only see/stay at the top few places you want to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were talking about exactly this last night. It's tough with the Grand Canyon being 3 driving days and needing to fit it in to 11 days. We also talked about staying in a hotel a night each way to minimize the set ups.

I appreciate the tips. We checked out Grants, NM last night. Looks like there's a lot around there. The plan above will be evolving quite a bit I'm sure. Things will fall in to place as we get closer. The one thing that is for sure is that there will be no shortage of things to look at in the upcoming months as we plan, replan, and begin to finalize a plan that is subject to change anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by topduarte View Post
        If you are close to Grants, NM I would highly recommend this:

As a New Mexican, I love travelling new roads and getting in to the nooks and crannies of the lesser-known attractions of our state.Fueled by the sun, haunted by waters, I always say.Recently a colleague and I had the chance to visit the Ice Cave and Bandera Volcano near Grants, and it was a treat.

This was our hidden gem find on our 5,600 Griswold trip summer 2017.
        Been there 17yrs ago...really neat to see that ice cave in 100degree weather...it's nice and cool (temperature wise) when you get down there....the lava tubes are neat too...interesting place...Mal Paiz is what it's called I believe...

Comment

Not a big fan of New Mexico but Arizona and Colorado are the shiznit. The wife and I did 11 days of dispersed camping in the mountains in our teardrop camper. It was the most peaceful time I've ever had. Did some biking and fishing between Salida and Pagosa Springs.

Comment

We reassessed and reworked the trip idea.

We're thinking about getting up near Colorado Springs (Larkspur, Manitou Springs, Woodland Park, etc.) for 6-7 nights and using that as a basecamp. We'd be under 2-3 hours to a lot of things. Also some of the thing's we do, the journey to/from would be a big part of that day's destination, if that make sense. We also thought about 3-4 nights down in the Pueblo/Canon City area, then moving up to Grand Lake or Estes Park (or possibly Winter Park) for 3-4 nights. If I had to guess now, Colorado is the way we're leaning.

A wild card idea is to get to Page, AZ. That would put us less than 2.5 hours from the South Rim, North Rim, Zion, Antelope Canyon, and other awesome stuff. The big downside here is that it will be much warmer at our basecamp which would likely be near Lake Powell.

Comment

Some of those areas are pretty hot in July. I would head up to the Lake City, Ouray, Telluride area. Perfect base area less driving more outdoors. Day trip or overnight in Moab. Get the high desert and mountain environment all together.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X