austin alert!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
    Been a patrol cop for 12 years, legalize it. The majority of cops I know feel the same way about it.
    Can’t say that!! Pothead! 😂

Comment

Personally, I dont give a rip either way.
      What's really comical is the " I know millionaires who smoke weed" or the " weed is gods answer to all health problems jokes.
      Weed smoking millionaires are the exception to the rule not the standard.
      There are zero studies that show definitively that weed has health benefits. I'm 100% sure it does help some people I'm also 100% positive it runs more people than it helps.
      When the smoker starts probably has more to do with it than anything.
      If your a fully developed adult I'm sure it does not have the same negative results it does with a juvenile

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
        Guys, come on. Let the reefer madness movie go. Let it go.
        Couple things.

-Tell me about the last stoned driver that killed someone waiting for a stop sign to turn green.

-Anyone denying the legitimate medicinal benefits of marijuana is uninformed, ill-informed, or never seen the positive effects, of its use for many ailments. Up to and including terminal illnesses.

And, no, I do not partake but know plenty of normal, responsible, successful adults who do. In fact guys, Don’t look now? But I promise you somebody you know, and probably somebody you’re close to, is using marijuana.

I know! I know! - “not my friends/associates”.

You’re wrong.
        I'll say this, the Austin City Council is a freaking joke. As far as their feel good vote goes, it means nothing, they can't "vote" to not enforce State law. Can they use political pressure to dictate how APD does business, maybe, maybe not.

The legalization push legitimately started when Gov. Abbott signed the "hemp legislation" several months ago. I won't go into specifics, but that single handedly created significant legal hurdles to enforcing Possession of Marijuana laws. My department no longer makes routine POM arrests due to the new legislation.

As far as what's been quoted above, I take exception to a couple things...… The "medical marijuana" argument is mostly BS in my opinion. Most experts say that the beneficial aspects of MJ can be delivered in ways other than smoking, which obviously introduces the THC "high" that most pot-heads are after. I'm not denying in any way that MJ/Hemp may have some legit medical uses, but medical MJ in and of itself was an is overwhelmingly just a BS way for MJ users to legally get it.

Secondly, making a statement that makes it seem as though someone under the influence of MJ while driving a car is harmless is irresponsible and simply not true. Impaired drivers, regardless of what drug they are on, are extremely dangerous when they get behind the wheel. I've seen many, many stoned idiots operating vehicles where its a miracle they hadn't killed anyone before being stopped by LE.

I'll say this, I honestly don't care if a responsible adult wants to smoke a joint here and there, especially in the confines of their private lives. I also believe that alcohol is just as devastating and likely more so to the average American. Alcohol causes a bunch of problems in a lot of people's lives, there is no denying that. I do think its ironic in several ways that alcohol is legal and MJ is not.

Comment

Durn Strawberry Hill was a gateway to Old No.7!

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
            Personally, I dont give a rip either way.
            What's really comical is the " I know millionaires who smoke weed" or the " weed is gods answer to all health problems jokes.
            Weed smoking millionaires are the exception to the rule not the standard.
            There are zero studies that show definitively that weed has health benefits. I'm 100% sure it does help some people I'm also 100% positive it runs more people than it helps.
            When the smoker starts probably has more to do with it than anything.
            If your a fully developed adult I'm sure it does not have the same negative results it does with a juvenile
            No facts to support your claim of millionaires. That's the thing, you have no clue how many smoke occasionally in their own home. In states where it's legal it isn't allowed in public.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good those types of cases are a complete waste of
              police/judicial resources. Legalize and tax the stuff and be done with it. Cannabis prohibition has been a farce from the beginning.
              Last edited by arrowsmack324; 01-24-2020, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                No facts to support your claim of millionaires. That's the thing, you have no clue how many smoke occasionally in their own home. In states where it's legal it isn't allowed in public.

Here’s 2 facts.
                If I’m having surgery and one surgeon lit up last night, the other does not partake, I’m going with guy #2.
                I have no problem with my teenage son drinking a few beers and have allowed it numerous times, I’ve never handed him a joint.

Comment

My brother partook for many years. He live in a shed behind my moms house
                  How many homeless people do you see with a joint? Now, how many with a bottle?

FTR I do not smoke or drink but I find it hypocritical that one is looked upon as deviant behavior and the other is socially accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                    How many homeless people do you see with a joint? Now, how many with a bottle?

FTR I do not smoke or drink but I find it hypocritical that one is looked upon as deviant behavior and the other is socially accepted.
                    I dont hang out where homeless people hang out so I dont see their joints or their heroin or their bottles.
                    Now, how about you tell me how many homeless smoked weed in their developmental years.

Comment

I dont hang out where homeless people hang out so I dont see their joints or their heroin or their bottles.
                      Now, how about you tell me how many homeless smoked weed in their developmental years.

Good grief. That's laughable. How many drank alcohol? I'm not even going to try to give a response to that crap. Yeah, I hang out with the homeless on the weekend.

You not go to the city? See a homeless person? What bubble do you live in? Alcohol is no different.
                      Last edited by Graysonhogs; 01-24-2020, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                        APD Chief has pointed this out. And the CC is backing up a bit on its original position.

I live in the area of Austin and look at in wonder what type of city it would be if it weren't for the conservative value of the State Government.

I fear if Texas goes blue, Austin will look like Baltimore or Detroit.
                        I heard it already does

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                          You can’t pick and choose law and order, either its law or disorder.

No reason to enforce anything I guess if you won’t enforce a gateway drug.

Your son’s and daughters will likely end up just like disorder would speculate.

Its Godless
                          Amen!

Comment

Originally posted by rockyraider View Post
                            I'll say this, the Austin City Council is a freaking joke. As far as their feel good vote goes, it means nothing, they can't "vote" to not enforce State law. Can they use political pressure to dictate how APD does business, maybe, maybe not.

The legalization push legitimately started when Gov. Abbott signed the "hemp legislation" several months ago. I won't go into specifics, but that single handedly created significant legal hurdles to enforcing Possession of Marijuana laws. My department no longer makes routine POM arrests due to the new legislation.

As far as what's been quoted above, I take exception to a couple things...… The "medical marijuana" argument is mostly BS in my opinion. Most experts say that the beneficial aspects of MJ can be delivered in ways other than smoking, which obviously introduces the THC "high" that most pot-heads are after. I'm not denying in any way that MJ/Hemp may have some legit medical uses, but medical MJ in and of itself was an is overwhelmingly just a BS way for MJ users to legally get it.

Secondly, making a statement that makes it seem as though someone under the influence of MJ while driving a car is harmless is irresponsible and simply not true. Impaired drivers, regardless of what drug they are on, are extremely dangerous when they get behind the wheel. I've seen many, many stoned idiots operating vehicles where its a miracle they hadn't killed anyone before being stopped by LE.

I'll say this, I honestly don't care if a responsible adult wants to smoke a joint here and there, especially in the confines of their private lives. I also believe that alcohol is just as devastating and likely more so to the average American. Alcohol causes a bunch of problems in a lot of people's lives, there is no denying that. I do think its ironic in several ways that alcohol is legal and MJ is not.

I really appreciate the input, and perspective. I truly do. I would imagine some have a mischaracterized me in their heads by some of these comments.

I do not smoke MJ. Let me make that crystal clear. I am however an alcoholic, nine years sober, and I’ve seen firsthand the absolute devastating effects of alcoholism. Along with alcoholism, DWIs come hand-in-hand. I know that first hand as well. I am not ashamed of my past, because it has made me who I am today. All glory to God the father Almighty. He truly saved my life in one moment. So now that you have a little background on me. I think your final paragraph is exactly my point. no I do disagree with your comment about the medicinal benefits of marijuana. I would again like to point out the fact that all of these medical experts who have this opinion, and put this opinion out there, all have an agenda against the legalization of marijuana. Whether they realize it or not. The negative impact that the legalization of marijuana would have on the entire medical industry, is beyond comprehension. If you guys any clue the amount of money that it’s used every year lobbying against the legalization of marijuana it would blow minds.

My comment about a stone driver sitting at a stop sign waiting for it to turn green, was pretty tongue-in-cheek. I thought most would get that, so to clarify, I do think someone stoned out of their mind shouldn’t be driving a car. I think after legalization, and there are two companies racing to get this accomplished, a breathalyzer of sorts needs to be implemented to detect recent marijuana use. I hope that clarifies my thoughts on someone driving Baked out of their mind.

It boils down at the end of the day to our government simply becoming too big, and operating outside of the constitution, I am the way the founders design our country to operate. If you want to live in a state where marijuana was legal move there. If you don’t, then live somewhere where it’s not legal. Implement the 10th amendment as it was a designed, and we will all stop arguing about this stupid **** that we argue about. Not to mention all the stuff that we fight against the liberals against, high taxes, abortion, etc. I think you see my point
                            Last edited by JLivi1224; 01-24-2020, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

Exactly my point as well bob. I believe most, would be floored, at the number of people that they know who partake in their own homes and keep it private.

Comment

Well......
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X