No announcement yet.

Getting a Dog: Lab or Golden?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im 50 yrs old been around dogs my whole life, a different breeds and there is nothing better than a lab,

Comment

Originally posted by hoghunter69 View Post
      im 50 yrs old been around dogs my whole life, a different breeds and there is nothing better than a lab,

Except a Chessie

Comment

Get a doodle. I should have some for sale soon [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

5 labs later, I guess you know my vote. Outstanding with kiddos, love to please, only 1 outta 5 was a little stubborn. Current boy is 11 and as sweet as they come

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
            I've had a few of each and loved them all. Well, most of them. As far as being a family dog either breed will do fine. We have had labs that were wonderful family dogs and one that wasn't. We have had goldens that were wonderful family dogs, and one that wasn't. There is a chance you can get a dud with either breed.

Goldens tend to be much softer. But both breeds are typically very eager to please you. I have had a couple of goldens I could just crush by scolding them. And I have had hard headed labs that scolding didn't mean anything to. They are all different, though.

Labs and goldens BOTH shed alot. You will sweep up/vacuum up enough hair to make several puppies come shedding season. The difference is goldens have real long hair so it seems like it is alot more than a lab. But trust me, labs shed a ton too. It's just something you learn to live with. We love our dogs and they spend tons of time in the house so we don't have carpet. It's easier to sweep up kid dirt and dog hair. The other downside of the golden's hair is they pick up burs, thorns and other stuff when out in the field. That long hair isn't quite as bad as maybe like a spaniel's coat or a poodle's coat but they still pick up tons of stuff that you'll have to comb out.

If hunting is something you want to do with your dog I think you stand a much stronger chance of getting a good hunter with a lab. They have been bred for it for competition an d serious hunting for generations. It can be difficult to find a really good field dog with goldens. There is just so much more back yard breeding that goes on with no thought given to hunting traits. I'm not saying you won't get a golden who has some hunting instinct and drive but chances are way higher to get a good hunter in a lab than in a golden.

But man, those goldens will steal your heart. Anyone who's owned swamp collies will always have a soft spot for those sweet, golden, long haired rascals.

I have had two dogs that were truly exceptional. Those once in a lifetime kind of dogs. Dogs that are just so incredibly good and smart. One was a lab and one was a golden. You likely aren't going to make a bad decision, either one can be everything you are looking for.
            I think this hits about everything I was going to say. I loved my golden and I love my lab(s) now. For me the long hair is a deal breaker for 3 reasons.

First whether true or not I always felt like my golden got hotter quicker than my lab due to the long hair. This went for hunting, going for a run or playing in the back yard. With that said, I usually take color into account more than hair length. For example I would be inclined to get a golden before a black lab for heat purposes. I do a lot of dove hunting so for me out of the 2 you listed I will always have a yellow lab. Additionally, the less hair the quicker it dries after getting wet for baths, swimming, etc.

Second, shedding. As others have stated they shed about the same but the golden's hair is longer so it appears to be more.

Third, as mentioned above burs and tangles. I can't tell you how many hours I spent picking or cutting out burrs out of my goldens hair after dove hunts. I have never had that issue with labs. Even if you don't hunt, think about the dog just running around the lease and picking stuff up in their fur. My ex's family also had a golden. When her dad died and we were sitting around her parents house I was tasked with brushing and detangling their golden's hair. Never again!! Granted if you stay on top of it I'm sure it wouldn't be to bad but they let it get bad.

With all of that said, I would also look into mixed breeds as well. I currently have a vizsla/lab mix and she is the best ****ed dog I have ever owned. She has a vizsla's coat so much less shedding and she very rarely gets hot, etc. They are hard to find but a lab/GSP mix or something similar may not be hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
              If hunting is something you want to do with your dog I think you stand a much stronger chance of getting a good hunter with a lab. They have been bred for it for competition an d serious hunting for generations. It can be difficult to find a really good field dog with goldens. There is just so much more back yard breeding that goes on with no thought given to hunting traits. I'm not saying you won't get a golden who has some hunting instinct and drive but chances are way higher to get a good hunter in a lab than in a golden.

While I agree wholeheartedly with virtually all of your post, man, you couldn't be more wrong about the hunting characteristics.

I've hunted ducks, pheasant, quail, chucker behind MANY of BOTH and the Golden is every bit the equal of a Lab.

Lack of hunting instinct certainly was NOT my experience with Golden's at all. In fact, my first golden, "Hogan," was the finest hunting dog I've ever seen....everyone who hunted behind him said the same. Dove, quail, pheasant, ducks....didn't matter. In fact, he'd "block" quail and honor a point. His son, "Nelson," was the same way. Took hours and hours and hours spent with them training.....just like my labs.

As for hunting, IMOP the two breeds are equal and VERY similar with each individual dog, well, is an individual. They are just like human beings....different personalities, intellects, innate tendencies, etc etc etc.

It's more about the owner/trainer than the dog IMOP. You can't train them all the same, but, I've yet to see one you can't train. However, the results will vary.....some just WANT to hunt, badly, a "warrior".....some could give a sh#t, but, will if forced. Most are "tweeners."

It's been my experience that in the SOUTH it's MUCH more common that labs are virtually all you see when duck hunting. Golden's are more the family pet and aren't TRAINED to hunt. So they can't be expected "to hunt."

However, you go up north and chase pheasant, well, you'll hunt behind some d@mn fine Golden's that can go with the absolute best in the field.
              Last edited by Slicefixer; 01-17-2020, 10:19 AM.

Comment

As mentioned before, labs have a bunch of energy. Mine is 3 years old and you would think she was 8 months old with the energy she has and how much she wants to play. I wouldn't trade her from the world though.

Comment

My English labs shed a freaking sweater every week it seems, but man I love them.

Comment

How old are your kids?

Comment

Boykins shed way less than labs/goldens

Comment

Goldens will shed but I've never met one with a bad personality. Great family dogs.

If for hunting ducks, i like labs.

Comment

Get a male Golden...

Comment

Our Boykin was something else. Great family dog. Smart, sweet, and loved the water. Perfect fit for us. Before we got her, I told my wife they didn’t shed much... she’s still talks about all the hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Find a Breeder who can match what you want your dog to do your needs . I have got several from the same Breeder over the years . When I wanted a Sporting / Hunting Dog she did well . This last time I knew we were going to be in The Houston Metro Area for awhile so I needed a " House Dog " . She nailed it perfectly .

Comment

I have always been a Labrador guy but for what you described, I would have to look really hard at a Goldendoodle.

I am not knowledgeable about the ones that shed some versus the ones that shed little to none but it has to do with the % of poodle versus golden etc.

I have allergies and have my entire life so that is one strong factor that would drive me to look at the strain of Goldendoodle that sheds very little. I think maybe it is the H1B maybe? Not sure but I have heard nothing but great things about them from temperament, hunting instinct, trainability, and the list goes on.
                                Last edited by WyoBull; 01-17-2020, 11:47 AM. Reason: additional comments

Comment

Working...
                                X