Getting a Dog: Lab or Golden?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labs shed a lot.....Goldens shed a loter. LOL

Bloodlines mean a lot......even for a family dog. If you want a laid back easy going dog get a English with good bloodlines. If you looking for high energy work horse get an American. Sure there are exceptions to every rule but overall this is the case.

Comment

I have had labs for the sole purpose of hunting, they are happiest when they are working and expending energy.Golden retrievers are more docile and house friendly in my opinion.
      If you want an indoor dog, good with kids and cats the Golden will be your best bet.
      I never had a Lab that could tolerate cats, they would for my sake but not by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by jlp04c View Post
        Toss a boykin into your short list of breeds.. Mine doesnt shed hardly at all, they are smaller, and brilliant.
        I have been looking at Boykins as well and was wondering how much they shed since I am allergic I can’t handle a lot of hair in the house lol

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
          HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! That's hilarious!!!! Labs are the worst for shedding. Get a Furminator!

Both great breeds but the breeder is more important! I'd get a mutt and stay away from "registered" dogs honestly.
          X2

Comment

I’ll second the Boykin. 45 lbs., great family dogs, smart, love to please, hunt, shed some, easy to train and have a on/off switch. Get one from a reputable breeder that health tests.

Comment

A Golden can be trained with words and kindness. All they want to do is please their owner.

Some labs require a 2x4 to be trained. jk but it can seem just that way at times with some.

I'm a fan of the electronic collars.

Comment

English Lab! great with kids. Has more of an on/off switch then American lab (usually). Still great nose and lab instincts. Just a little calmer and not as high of prey drive as American lab.

to each is their own really. Cant go wrong with any of them. I would be more focused on finding a good breeder that has health tested parents and health guarantees with the pups.

Comment

Neither, get a Viszlador

Comment

Had/have a bunch of both...currently 2 black labs. Every single one is different, just like kids....in fact, they're so smart it's like having a kid that minds better.

Generically speaking, IMOP, it's either/or...a jump ball, as they are VERY similar. With very few exceptions, they all have wonderful dispositions, very eager to please, are very loving, great with kids, and very intelligent, etc. The only real difference is shedding hair and the golden wins that by a TON. My personal preference, but not by much, is a Golden. However, only because I think they're prettier....

Can't go wrong either way...

Comment

Given you've not had a dog before, I'm going to say your best bet is a golden.

Here are two breeders I got info on -

"This is the breeder we got the male from.

And this is the breeder we got the female from (their normal website looks like its down at the moment)

https://www.facebook.com/gobergoldens/"

And here is the link to the guy's pics of his golden retrievers on ducks - https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/...on#Post7711742

And BTW, the Obedience training for your pup is not for the dog. Its for you on how to train your dog on basics sit, here, kennel up, etc

Comment

Ridgeback!
                        Awesome family dog!

Comment

I have had both, they are both great dogs. Only reason I wouldn’t get a golden again is the hair, it is insane. But both are great. My golden would pull cocker burrs out of my boot laces when we were dove hunting, that was cool.

Comment

I have to go with a lab myself. I wanted one for years, and got a chocolate female 5 years ago. She’s been fantastic. Great with our smaller dog. We don’t have kids, but she’s great with our friends kids. Does take time and training, but worth it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've had a few of each and loved them all. Well, most of them. As far as being a family dog either breed will do fine. We have had labs that were wonderful family dogs and one that wasn't. We have had goldens that were wonderful family dogs, and one that wasn't. There is a chance you can get a dud with either breed.

Goldens tend to be much softer. But both breeds are typically very eager to please you. I have had a couple of goldens I could just crush by scolding them. And I have had hard headed labs that scolding didn't mean anything to. They are all different, though.

Labs and goldens BOTH shed alot. You will sweep up/vacuum up enough hair to make several puppies come shedding season. The difference is goldens have real long hair so it seems like it is alot more than a lab. But trust me, labs shed a ton too. It's just something you learn to live with. We love our dogs and they spend tons of time in the house so we don't have carpet. It's easier to sweep up kid dirt and dog hair. The other downside of the golden's hair is they pick up burs, thorns and other stuff when out in the field. That long hair isn't quite as bad as maybe like a spaniel's coat or a poodle's coat but they still pick up tons of stuff that you'll have to comb out.

If hunting is something you want to do with your dog I think you stand a much stronger chance of getting a good hunter with a lab. They have been bred for it for competition an d serious hunting for generations. It can be difficult to find a really good field dog with goldens. There is just so much more back yard breeding that goes on with no thought given to hunting traits. I'm not saying you won't get a golden who has some hunting instinct and drive but chances are way higher to get a good hunter in a lab than in a golden.

But man, those goldens will steal your heart. Anyone who's owned swamp collies will always have a soft spot for those sweet, golden, long haired rascals.

I have had two dogs that were truly exceptional. Those once in a lifetime kind of dogs. Dogs that are just so incredibly good and smart. One was a lab and one was a golden. You likely aren't going to make a bad decision, either one can be everything you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
                                I've had a few of each and loved them all. Well, most of them. As far as being a family dog either breed will do fine. We have had labs that were wonderful family dogs and one that wasn't. We have had goldens that were wonderful family dogs, and one that wasn't. There is a chance you can get a dud with either breed.

Goldens tend to be much softer. But both breeds are typically very eager to please you. I have had a couple of goldens I could just crush by scolding them. And I have had hard headed labs that scolding didn't mean anything to. They are all different, though.

Labs and goldens BOTH shed alot. You will sweep up/vacuum up enough hair to make several puppies come shedding season. The difference is goldens have real long hair so it seems like it is alot more than a lab. But trust me, labs shed a ton too. It's just something you learn to live with. We love our dogs and they spend tons of time in the house so we don't have carpet. It's easier to sweep up kid dirt and dog hair. The other downside of the golden's hair is they pick up burs, thorns and other stuff when out in the field. That long hair isn't quite as bad as maybe like a spaniel's coat or a poodle's coat but they still pick up tons of stuff that you'll have to comb out.

If hunting is something you want to do with your dog I think you stand a much stronger chance of getting a good hunter with a lab. They have been bred for it for competition an d serious hunting for generations. It can be difficult to find a really good field dog with goldens. There is just so much more back yard breeding that goes on with no thought given to hunting traits. I'm not saying you won't get a golden who has some hunting instinct and drive but chances are way higher to get a good hunter in a lab than in a golden.

But man, those goldens will steal your heart. Anyone who's owned swamp collies will always have a soft spot for those sweet, golden, long haired rascals.

I have had two dogs that were truly exceptional. Those once in a lifetime kind of dogs. Dogs that are just so incredibly good and smart. One was a lab and one was a golden. You likely aren't going to make a bad decision, either one can be everything you are looking for.
                                This is it in a nutshell. Just my opinion. Both breeds are wonderful.

Comment

Working...
                                X