Africa Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Africa Question

Where in Africa could you use your own rifles and take a nice cape buffalo, zebra, Wildebeest and some assorted plains game? I know buff are not everywhere and that grouping of animals AND wanting to take my own guns may be a difficult combo, maybe not.

Also, who would you recommend to hunt with? I don't have Doc May money!!!

Cape buffalo is what will make it really expensive. That's what will put you into another orbit price wise. Just plains game can be done pretty reasonably if you're flexible on what you shoot.

Comment

As for your own gun, the Cape buff is gonna be the game changer again unless you have a .375 H&H or bigger. Most of the plains game can easily be killed with .300 mag and down depending on what you shoot.

Comment

You can do all that most any place in South Africa and Namibia.

You'll need at least a .375 plus for buff or you can bow hunt them also with the right setup.

Management type buff in the 36-38" range are going for $7-$8k, 40"+ a little more.

Comment

9.3x62 is legal on Buffalo in most places and very legit on plains game

Comment

Yup. Can do that on most places/certainly with most outfitters in SA. Using your own rifle is no problem. Even if they only have PG on the main concession, they will know where to go close for buffalo. I went to one concession that had buffalo everywhere, but it was like a petting zoo. I said no thanks.

Comment

There are companies who can help navigate the process of bringing your guns along.

Comment

Last trip in February of 2020 I used the PHs 375, it was no charge but part of the hunt. It is a lot easier and less stressful to use their firearms and ammo. If taking your own there are companies that can help in the process of getting through customs for a cost. Also,you need to understand all the requirements for leaving the US with one and docs required to bring it back, entering country requirements on weapon and amount of ammo you can bring and storage requirements and what the airline policy is as well as it can be different than TSA, country and airline, on top of that if you have a layover in the UK or Qatar you need more paperwork. First trip in 2007 I took my own and lucky I new the regs as most ticket agents don’t see many firearms and can really screw that process up. My buddy and I that went with me first time had a different ticket agent, mine showed up his did not for 3 more days.

Comment

Originally posted by trophyhunter01 View Post
                  Last trip in February of 2020 I used the PHs 375, it was no charge but part of the hunt. It is a lot easier and less stressful to use their firearms and ammo. If taking your own there are companies that can help in the process of getting through customs for a cost. Also,you need to understand all the requirements for leaving the US with one and docs required to bring it back, entering country requirements on weapon and amount of ammo you can bring and storage requirements and what the airline policy is as well as it can be different than TSA, country and airline, on top of that if you have a layover in the UK or Qatar you need more paperwork. First trip in 2007 I took my own and lucky I new the regs as most ticket agents don’t see many firearms and can really screw that process up. My buddy and I that went with me first time had a different ticket agent, mine showed up his did not for 3 more days.
                  Who did you hunt with? What country?

Comment

Limpopo SA last time and Namibia first time. Lots of good outfits and all depends on what you want. Check Africahunting.com lots of great info and hunting reports from people that go first time and many times.
                    Lots of good outfits that is for sure. Lalamanzi Safaris is who last trip was with, got a cancellation hunt booked and was in country in 5 weeks getting it done, great outfit. Abri is a super guy. Not the super 5+star resort type but really nice camp, great cook. Astra Safari in Namibia, great trip as well. Both are family run outfits by good folks.

Comment

I did that
                      Attached Files

Comment

Why a gun? Doing your list is very doable with a bow n RSA. I just did a Cape, Sable, Roan and Zebra with a bow in the Limpopo this past Sept. not extremely cheap with 3 of those critters though. I could have shot other plains game but already had them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                          Why a gun? Doing your list is very doable with a bow n RSA. I just did a Cape, Sable, Roan and Zebra with a bow in the Limpopo this past Sept. not extremely cheap with 3 of those critters though. I could have shot other plains game but already had them.
                          Personally I find hunting over water/alfalfa/salt with a bow extremely boring as compared to getting out and walking. I sit in a blind plenty in Texas and when I go to Africa I like to get out and hunt. I realize you can spot and stalk with a bow, but most outfitters seemingly like to park you with your bow in a blind.

Comment

Email Limcroma. Using your own rifle is easy.

Comment

Africa Question

Kuche Safaris is a good choice. Tyak has a guy he likes a lot. Theron Safaris I think.
                              Last edited by TX_Kevin; 01-13-2022, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X