.45-70 Lever Action Recoil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.45-70 Lever Action Recoil

I know this is a subjective question, but I am itching for a lever action rifle probably in ..45-70. I was wondering what the recoil is like say compared to a bolt action hunting rifle. Thank in advance for your help.

I am not a fan of recoil. I had one, Marlin Guide, and sold it. It hurt my soul to shoot it! I did kill two deer with it before I sold it though.

Comment

I have the Henry octagon barrel. The weight absorbs the recoil

Comment

Depends on the load, and how you shoot it. Stout loads off the bench aren’t a whole lot of fun. Field positions that let your body move with the recoil isn’t too bad at all. Overall, the 45/70’s recoil is typically a slower, heavy push as compared to the sharp snap of something like a hot 7 or 300. There are a wide range of ammo choices and bullet weights for the 45/70 which will make a big difference in recoil.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

My 1895G is factory ported and I feel like this gun has much more of a push than it does a kick. I throughly enjoy shooting it

Comment

Have you ever been kicked by a mule?

Comment

My 1895 will knock the snot outta you!

Comment

With the standard Winchester 300gr JHP at 1700fps, it’s about like a 12 gauge. Handloads with a 300gr hard cast gas check run up to 2200+FPS, and it recoils like a 300 Weatherby. I’ve also loaded 405gr to 1850fps in my Guide Gun, and that is some heavy recoil. Those same 405’s at the factory load of 1300fps are absolute cream puffs and will still flatten anything within 100yds

Also highly recommend the Guide Gun over a longer barrel. Longer barrel doesn’t really get you much additional effective range, but the quick handling of the Guide Gun is noticeably better than the full length rifle.
                  Last edited by txpitdog; 01-27-2021, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                    With the standard Winchester 300gr JHP at 1700fps, it’s about like a 12 gauge. Handloads with a 300gr hard cast gas check run up to 2200+FPS, and it recoils like a 300 Weatherby. I’ve also loaded 405gr to 1850fps in my Guide Gun, and that is some heavy recoil. Those same 405’s at the factory load of 1300fps are absolute cream puffs and will still flatten anything within 100yds

Also highly recommend the Guide Gun over a longer barrel. Longer barrel doesn’t really get you much additional effective range, but the quick handling of the Guide Gun is noticeably better than the full length rifle.

This.

Comment

Remington 405 grain are powder puffs and very accurate. Some 45-70 loads are beasts. Some ammo can be shot in new and old rifles. Lower pressures. Some loads are too hot to be fired in old rifles and it states that on the box.

Comment

I have owned .45/70's of different flavors for 50 years. Levers and single shots. Have about a dozen different bullet molds from 300 grain to 545 grain for them. People's preferences vary, of course, and I have other rifles to shoot tiny groups with, and other rifles that shoot much flatter trajectories, but the .45/70 is my most used hunting caliber.

Comment

I have several 1895's been shooting them for years. Light loads (cowboy action) are nothing But run a stiff hunting load through it and it will definitely clear your sinus out.

Comment

I know a light load of RE7(32-34gr) and a 300gr bullet is something a child could shoot with no problem out of a Guide Gun, serious as a heart attack.

Comment

A lot depends on the load, but it’s called T Rex killer for a reason!

Comment

Working...
                              X