upright or chest freezer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shane View Post
    Chest freezer are like a woman's purse. Jumbled mess, and the 1 thing you need out of it all is ALWAYS hidden on the bottom somewhere. They suck. Get an upright.
    Good way to put it LOL..I have 2 uprights and 2 chest...everyone has pretty well answered and I agree..
    One thing never mentioned is when a upright is overloaded things to fall out on floor...Had a frozen Turkey fall out onto my Bare foot hit top of big toe .(I hobbled for a month) so a chest is safer

Comment

Originally posted by masonred View Post
      Use something like milk crates to organize the chest freezer. Go really organized and make a list as you put stuff in and mark what comes out. This isn't to big a pain and you know what you have and don't lose stuff in the bottom.
      This.

I have both but the chest is organized is boxes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Our primary freezer for wild game is a large upright but we did buy a chest type at Lowe's last week. Right now it's just for animal heads and overflow. We are going to reorganize and I think I will then use it for my deboned meat that's ready to grind for burger or sausage and keep my upright for already processed meat.

Comment

I have both. I will never have another chest freezer.

Comment

Go upright you will love it.

FYI: Make sure you don’t have your freezers on the GFCI plug if you put it in the garage. Murphy’s Law will get you!

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              Good luck trying to find one
              Porter Walmart and Home Depot had them last week under $200

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
                Porter Walmart and Home Depot had them last week under $200
                Thanks. I checked HD online a few hours ago and nothing in the greater area. You're talking about upright? Or chest?

Comment

I use the meat lugs that we use for processing the meat for our chest freezer. 40-45 lbs vacuum sealed and dated. They fit perfectly inside freezer. At the end of the season I pull out all the meat lugs and put freshest on bottom. Works out ok but have to keep organized.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Comment

Chest for me pretty easy to see if the door is left open I know of at least 5 people who have left the the door cracked on an upright I also use use milk crates to organize

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                      Thanks. I checked HD online a few hours ago and nothing in the greater area. You're talking about upright? Or chest?
                      I know you can find chest freezers at Lowes which is why I started the thread. I've always had upright but my wife has been saying buy a chest freezer since we can get one. Our last upright died about 3 years ago but we've been fine with using our freezer in the house and we have a refrigerator/freezer in the garage. Usually we could get by and any overflow went to my mom's freezer. Problem is we stocked up on meats when covid hit and been making a dent in it recently but the buck i shot 2weeks ago has filled it up. Now I either need a freezer or need to be extremely picky on what I shot going forward. I let 2 fat does go this morning because lack of space in there.

Comment

I just bought a 7.0 cu/ft chest freezer at Sam's for $199 and went to the container store and bought 4 recycle plastic containers to organize. Saw the containers on YouTube on how to organize a Chest Freezer.

Comment

I have several of both. At the house ( any where it’s stationary) an upright is the only way I would go. So much easier to get to whatever items you need, or to identify what’s all in there. The only reason I have chest freezers are they are mounted on our trailers so we can freeze the animals while we are at hunting camps and transporting them back home, once processed and wrapped they will go in the uprights. Chest freezers are great for what we use them for also.

Comment

I have use uprights. I grew up having chest freezers as a kid and made my mind up that when I grew up I’d would never own a chest freezer.

Comment

Working...
                            X