Menard 2020-2021 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farfel View Post
    Hey Donnie. Cold out there? 52 in Austin so I figure it's colder out there.

We get lucky and they got rid of all the goats or they move em to our pasture?
    Hey Zane, I haven’t seen them yet. Last I saw them was Labor Day and they were in that pasture just north of our camp. Forgot to mention I got another snake this morning, he was under the drivers door of my lease truck to welcome me on opening day.😂

Comment

Originally posted by droebuck View Post
      Hey Zane, I haven’t seen them yet. Last I saw them was Labor Day and they were in that pasture just north of our camp. Forgot to mention I got another snake this morning, he was under the drivers door of my lease truck to welcome me on opening day.😂
      Good deal and good luck!!

I think, hope, it was just a freak year for them. There seemed to be a bunch of em.

Comment

Originally posted by farfel View Post
        Good deal and good luck!!

I think, hope, it was just a freak year for them. There seemed to be a bunch of em.
        Yep, I have killed 9 since May.

Comment

Originally posted by droebuck View Post
          Yep, I have killed 9 since May.

Keep killing them snakes Donny!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, had a group of does come in early. Finally got light enough for a shot and dang if the cows didn’t move in again and spook them off. Cows slowly moving out now, hopefully get another opportunity.

Comment

Good Luck Donnie!

Comment

Thanks David. Considering the moon and all the green there is out here now it hasn’t been a bad opener. All my mature bucks have gone nocturnal since their velvet came off. How has your weekend gone?

Comment

Good luck to all of you guys.

Comment

I helped recover a really big typical 8 with trash after it was shot too far back with a crossbow Saturday morning. Out of courtesy to the hunter I will not show photos of the deer as I do not have permission.
                    I estimate the buck to score approximately 160 as I did not have a tape. Also guessing 5.5" bases and he carried the mass all the way out. Also estimating 24" main beams.
                    A few weeks ago I posted that I had seen a buck with a huge frame for Menard County on a ranch that I oversee. This buck was killed about 200 yards from where I had jumped him and looks like the same deer. This is a low fenced ranch and there is no aggressive management or feeding program. I think that this is an indication of how good our winter and spring were this year. While I did not open his mouth, estimating the buck at 5 years,
                    Adios,
                    Gary

Comment

Very nice Gary, good for you helping with the recovery.
                      I agree with what you said about the good winter and spring. My deer just south of the Menard/Kimble line look good too.

Good luck all and have an enjoyable season.
                      T

Comment

Thanks Gary for the report. I can’t wait to see the pictures, but respect you for letting the hunter make that choice. That is a fantastic deer for our area and really pumps me up for getting to the lease and sitting down to hunt. We have a lot of bucks with some age, so hoping a few of them are in the outstanding category. We have been blessed with timely rains over the last 2 years.

Comment

I was sent a text that the buck scored 163 5/8". I am not sure who scored the buck and feel it is high. I would guess 155-160 to be closer and that is gross. The buck had 4th points but one was not scoreable and the other was just over an inch. Where the buck was strong was in his "H" measurements, browtines, and main beam length.
                          Adios,
                          Gary

Comment

Wife killed a brute opening morning. Biggest deer weight wise that we have killed. Went right at 182#
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	8E81F4A4-87DC-44FF-8EE6-B244257472AA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	24632941
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	F6F41041-BE7A-44AA-8C64-B69050D65B6C.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	24632942

Comment

Originally posted by wilcox1088 View Post
                              Wife killed a brute opening morning. Biggest deer weight wise that we have killed. Went right at 182#
                              [ATTACH]1021974[/ATTACH]
                              [ATTACH]1021975[/ATTACH]

That’s a big dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by wilcox1088 View Post
                                [ATTACH]1021974[/ATTACH]
                                [ATTACH]1021975[/ATTACH]
                                Congrats to your Wife!

Comment

Working...
                                X