Budget Uppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget Uppers

Is Bear Creek Arsenal any good? Wanting a 450 bushmaster and their prices seem really cheap. (~$300 for a complete upper). Is there another brand I should look at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a grendel upper from them and the best I can say is it's "minute" of deer. Seriously, about 3 inch pattern is the best I've got from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      I've got a grendel upper from them and the best I can say is it's "minute" of deer. Seriously, about 3 inch pattern is the best I've got from it.

In for other opinions but this is what I was afraid of.

Comment

I had a bca barreled grendel that the only way it would hit a barn was if you were shooting from inside of it. Now its Aero or better for me.

Comment

I have heard bad things about Bear Creek, I have not bought anything from them. But on the hearing bad things about companies, that sell ARs and AR parts, you will hear bad things, too many people messing with them that don't understand much about how they function. My only dealings with Bear Creek, was back when I was looking for a side charge bolt, they sold one. Most side charge bolts back at that point in time were ambidextrous, and looking at the pictures of their bolt, it looked like the bolt they sold was also. But they listed it only as a right side charge bolt. So I called them and asked them on three different occasions. None of those three times, could anyone that was given the phone, were able to answer that simple question. I would have them going around the company for 20 minutes trying to find someone who could answer that question, nobody knew. Very simple question, they could not answer.
          That's what I know about Bear Creek, that's been my only experience with them.

I bought a Radical barrel, not upper, in 458 SOCOM, I was not able to get a round to chamber, I heard, others had, had the same problem with both Radical and Bear Creek barrels or uppers. What I found, was the inside of the chamber, seems to have gotten some of the coating they put on the outside of the barrel, inside the chamber. I cleaned it out with a wire brush and a drill. Once I had all of the rough looking finish cleaned out, the rounds chambered very easily. They seemed to have had a problem plugging up the ends of the barrel, when coating it, that problem seems to be a problem with multiple companies that make cheaper AR barrels. It seems to be more of a problem with the larger bore, large diameter case chamberings. It seems they have a good system for plugging up 5.56 barrels and 6.5 Grendel, but with the larger bores some of those companies have problems with the barrel coating, getting into the chamber. Don't know why, just seems to be more of a problem with the larger bore chamberings, or at least I have read about it multiple times.

The 450 Bushmaster probably is a better caliber for most critters you would encounter in Texas, such as deer and pigs. Because it is a pistol bore size, of .451". So you will be shooting pistol bullets, that are typically lighter and have thinner jackets, so they will expand better. The 458 SOCOM, has a rifle caliber bore, of 458, it uses rifle bullets intended for calibers such as the 45-70. So they are typically heavier and have thicker jackets. So they are not going to expand as quickly. It's a better choice for bigger game, more of a close range, moose, bear or elk caliber. I have shot some logs, with my 458, with some Hornady 350 gr. Interlocks, they zipped through the logs without much problem. When I shot some larger diameter logs, I finally was able to stop the bullets, they were not deformed anywhere near as much as I would have expected. I can't get those bullets anymore. So I am using some 405 gr. bullets in my 458 now. The load I have come up with makes just over 2500 lbs. of muzzle energy. I am sure those loads would make much better as moose loads, than it would a hill country whitetail load. I have been thinking about getting a 450 Bushmaster for hunting deer and pigs, because I should be able to get bullets that will expand a lot faster in the whitetails I would be hunting most of the time.

Comment

I have a couple of Palmetto State Armory uppers. No complaints.

Comment

I've got a 7.62 BCA and it's very very accurate, but I recognize this one may be an anomaly as they are know to be all over the place.

I also have a 350 legend BCA upper, but I've never mounted it on a lower to shoot it yet so we will see. It was way too cheap to pass up.

The PSA uppers I've had in the past we're pretty decent, wouldn't hesitate to own another for a budget rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                Is Bear Creek Arsenal any good? Wanting a 450 bushmaster and their prices seem really cheap. (~$300 for a complete upper). Is there another brand I should look at?

4 guys at work have them and really like them ., two are running the suppressed

Comment

I picked up a BCA .450 BM earlier this summer and have been pleasantly surprised with function and accuracy. The upper overall is a bit heavy with their handgaurd but in .450 the added weight really isn’t bad thing either. I would not hesitate to purchase another upper from them and likely will in the future.

Comment

I’m wrong they have them in 350 legend not 450

Comment

I have heard enough mixed reviews on them that I won’t buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I wouldn't if you are looking for accuracy. All of my builds have Satern barrels!

Comment

I have 2 BCA barrels I bought. I assembled the upper they are in myself. 16" .300 BO
                          16" 350 legend. both will shoot 5 shots in the size of a dime.

Comment

I have purchased several from bear creek. I have not had any issue and they shoot as accurate as my others. They also have the ammunition listed that they recommend shooting through each upper. Pay attention to the twist rate as that effects which bullets weights to use etc...

Comment

I have their 350 Legend that I shot for the first time this week. It was good out to 100 yards. It had feeding issues with the magazine. Perhaps the spring inside was too tight as the cartridge base would kick high as it tried to feed into the chamber. Lots of drop magazine…

Hoping the magazine just needs to break in I suppose. I’m not a rifle guy so it’ll be trial and error for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X