Limb Rats....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limb Rats....

With deer season right around the corner always remember.....

Limb rats also need some luv'n. Nothing makes a good gravy like a limb rat!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFitQn0W-Ns"]BEST WAY TO CLEAN AND COOK SQUIRREL Cast Iron Cooking - YouTube[/ame]

S-quirrel
    G-ravy
    M-atters

My bet is many on here have never cleaned or eaten squirrel.

Killed, cleaned and ate a bunch of them growing up. I do miss it as I haven't done it in a long time. Got my bolt action 410 just itching to go. Maybe one of these days soon.

Comment

I’ve skinned & eat many of them. I can remember as a kid hunting them on our place we used to see & kill mainly the fox squirrel but over the years now we mainly see cat squirrels & rarely see fox squirrels any more. Used to be one of my most enjoyable hunts back in the day.

I’ve got flying squirrels in my place where I live now. My neighbor watches them suckers play & gluide from tree to tree with his thermal early mornings

Comment

Fry the young ones. The older ones go in with dumplings

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          Fry the young ones. The older ones go in with dumplings
          AC gets it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post

BEST WAY TO CLEAN AND COOK SQUIRREL Cast Iron Cooking - YouTube

S-quirrel
            G-ravy
            M-atters

My bet is many on here have never cleaned or eaten squirrel.
            They do make excellent gravy.
            I’m going to get my grandsons to go out with me and get a mess for a good meal.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
              AC gets it.
              My mother n law always made dumplings.
              My mother always fried and or smothered them.
              I liked them both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                I’ve skinned & eat many of them. I can remember as a kid hunting them on our place we used to see & kill mainly the fox squirrel but over the years now we mainly see cat squirrels & rarely see fox squirrels any more. Used to be one of my most enjoyable hunts back in the day.

I’ve got flying squirrels in my place where I live now. My neighbor watches them suckers play & gluide from tree to tree with his thermal early mornings
                same at our place in houston county. During deer season my dad and I hunted squirrels every other weekend or so. We even hunted the spring seasons now and then.

100% fox growing up and its almost all cats now. I try not to shoot the fox squirrels. Our latest jack russell marks them very well at the house. Im gonna try her out when it cools down and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post

Nothing says October like biscuits and gravy with fried squirrel!

Comment

My first hunting memories. Crack barrel .410 with my dad and grandpa. Squirrel and dumplings is still a favorite!

Comment

Mom would get mad if you head shot one. She loved some squirrel heads.

Comment

They make a pretty durn good tamale too.

Comment

Back in the day if you didn’t squirrel hunt, you didn’t hunt much. There were very, very few deer in East Texas around where I lived. You had to go to DCNF to see one, then to a novice it was mostly tails and heels going through the trees. Didn’t have a clue how to hunt deer but I could always get a mess of squirrels. Ducks and squirrels were my mainstay with a few doves and quail for variety.

Comment

Put on an archery stalk yesterday on a fatty that eventually eluded me.
                            Num num. Lots of meat on such a smaller critter.

Comment

Grew up in a pecan orchard. Ate hundreds. Favorite way was with dumplings...

Comment

Working...
                              X