Good low cost pistol.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good low cost pistol.

I know you get what you pay for but I was suggesting pistols to my mom that would be good for her to have. She has a rifle but she can't carry a rifle when mowing or doing things out in the yard. She don't want to spend a ton on a pistol and she don't need one that's gonna have a ton of recoil. I was suggesting guns that she might look at as an option but was drawing a blank. I'd like for her to have one she can put a light on because a lot of things that show up that need shot show up at night.

I suggested a Kel-Tec PMR30. It's got optic and light mounting capabilities and 30 rounds of .22mag is plenty for any nuisance she'll have in the yard. I just want her to have something that's reliable but she can pay for easily and will still get the job done on any varmint. Even the 2 legged kind.

I thought about maybe a .38 revolver like the Rock Island Armory M200. Problem with that is she may need to keep shooting and it doesn't hold as many bullets. She's a good shot but if there's a rattlesnake around she may need as many shots as she can get.

One pistol I was recently impressed with was a Smith and Wesson Shield EZ .380.
    Low amount of force needed to chamber a round, light recoil, 8+1 capacity. Pretty much designed for those with a lighter touch, dare I say women, in mind.

I was helping a lady friend with her shooting and that's what she brought.
    Shooting it back to back to small 9's and I could see the draw to a full sized .380.

Today's .380 ammo is nothing to sneeze at, I know I don't want to get hit with one.

Comment

I had a sccy 9mm. Was cheap and shot really well. They have one now that comes with optics .

Comment

As the old saying goes get a caliber you can get at the local store. Weapon of choice is the owners preference, whatever & that may be she is comfortable with and level of experience with said gun. Let her pick her own weapon of choice out but of course with some guidance if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
          I had a sccy 9mm. Was cheap and shot really well. They have one now that comes with optics .
          My better half carries a purple sccy and she loves it.

Comment

I find that a 38 revolver with shot loads in the first round or two serves me pretty well for whatever I might run into.

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
              I find that a 38 revolver with shot loads in the first round or two serves me pretty well for whatever I might run into.
              That was my thought as well when I suggested the .38 revolver. But where I can see that being a problem is she'll shoot a whole box of shotshells at a snake and never hit it. She's not going to get close enough to kill a snake with one of those. And even if she did it wouldn't take the head off of it. She needs something that will tear one up something awful with even a marginal hit. Those leave tiny holes and undoubtedly kills the snake. But I'd rather she has something that tears them in half or into three or four pieces or takes the head completely off. They can still bite after they're dead so my thinking is if she shoots one and it's still able to her dogs and herself can still get bit.

That's the only downside to that. I'd just get her a box of .38 hollowpoints if she were to get a revolver.

Comment

Might check out the dagger by palmetto state armory, seems to get good reviews

Comment

I got my wife and daughter Walter PK 380s. They are light weight, accurate, easy for females to load the magazines and rack the slide. They were made for women. Both my wife and daughter are quite accurate with their guns. My daughter is very good with her PK 380. My wife heart shot a skunk in the yard, years ago, with her PK 380.

I have shot both of their PK 380s, I do very well with them. I am pretty impressed with them. I don't like small hand guns.

The gun I have wanted for a while, that might be a good choice for your mother is a Sig Mosquito. I think Walter/S&W makes a PK 22, it's a 22 version of the PK 380.

EEA, makes a 357 Mag revolver, I think it only comes in short barrel versions, I think 2", 4" and 6". But they are supposed to be good quality guns and low priced, if you can find one. Being a 357, she could load 38 Special in it. Then 38 or 357 Shot shells. Something like that I think would have the most versatility. Keep the gun loaded with hollow point +P rounds for the two legged problems, since she probably won't have time to change ammo if she encounters any of them. But then keep a handful of shot shell loads with the gun in the pocket, for snakes or other smaller critters.

Comment

Only thing better than a Glock 48 is one for each hand.

Comment

Very good suggestions. I've shot a Smith and Wesson Shield,Glock and SCCY 9mm. Also the Kel-Tec PMR30.

The only thing I don't like on the first 3 mentioned is the sights. At least not for the shooting she'll be doing. My concern is they're too "blocky" and it may be hard to hit a smaller target at 15 feet or somewhere there abouts. She's fortunate enough that she'll get to test fire a few different pistols to see what she likes best and I'll be watching to see what she's more proficient with.

If she happens to like one and it's comfortable to shoot but has difficulty hitting her target I'll set her up with an optic on it.

What drew me to the Kel-Tec PMR30 is that she can put a light on it. Paired with the fiber optic sights I think it would be a good combo if she has to shoot at night. Also the amount of bullets it holds and low recoil. The drawback is that rimfire ammo can be somewhat unreliable.
                      Last edited by okrattler; 08-28-2022, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Taurus G2c/ good price and fits hand good without changing or adding to grip

Comment

Makarov 9mm, light, easy, cheap, effective.

Comment

How does she plan on carrying it, owb, iwb, pocket, fanny pack? Is she going to have ear protection on her person too before blasting that snake?

Comment

Hi point?

Comment

Working...
                              X