Angus per pound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LWC View Post
    To get a clearer picture, you really need to calculate in your opportunity cost if you would have sold those steers at their kill weight vs their purchase weight and add that to your cost. It sounds kind of complicated because you didn't actually pull that money out of your pocket. But it is still a cost of the finished product.

For example if I pull a 1,000 lb calf out of my pasture after feeding it $1,200 worth of feed and take it to the processor and get it processed for $800. That meat still cost me a lot more than $2,000 total. It also cost me the $1,200 I would have gotten had I sold the calf instead of butchering. So $3,200 in that example. Not to rain on your parade, but something else to think about.

On that note..

No one wants to factor in time checking animals, costs of grass ($15-18/acre in my area), infrastructure, Gas, equipment, producers time, risk to lose an animal, marketing, ETC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
      To get a clearer picture, you really need to calculate in your opportunity cost if you would have sold those steers at their kill weight vs their purchase weight and add that to your cost. It sounds kind of complicated because you didn't actually pull that money out of your pocket. But it is still a cost of the finished product.

For example if I pull a 1,000 lb calf out of my pasture after feeding it $1,200 worth of feed and take it to the processor and get it processed for $800. That meat still cost me a lot more than $2,000 total. It also cost me the $1,200 I would have gotten had I sold the calf instead of butchering. So $3,200 in that example. Not to rain on your parade, but something else to think about.
      Gotcha. I wouldn't know how to calculate out any reasonable profit as Bowfishin Fool has mentioned above. We have the space to raise 3 or 4 steers a year for any little extra side money we could get and have thought about it some but don't know how to calculate time/fuel/etc.

I guess after you explain it that way, the more I think about it, its not too far out of realm of possibility. The difference between the OP sale cost (8.50) and my finished cost (4.77) is $3.73/Lb. On a 500Lb yield, that's $1865 to cover all of what yall mentioned. And fuel isn't cheap these days. Nearest feed supplier is 20 miles and closest scale is 40 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackmouth View Post
        How far out are y'all having to book dates with the processor?

OP, $8.50/lb does seem a little steep. I am very early in the direct marketing of my beef and have been pondering the price. I'd love $8.50/lb
        There are 2 processors here local to me, one was 6 weeks out (which is who I went with, because he has done market hogs for me and does a very good job)
        The other place was 18 months out…I almost fell out of my chair when they told me November 2023

Comment

This is from TBH sponsor Clarabelle Cattle Company.

Grass-finished or grain-finished

$8.50/lb is in-line with producers trying to turn some sort of profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a friend just call me selling beef by the 1/4 that average 160-190 lbs steaks roasts brisket and ground meat $5.50 a pound. All nicely packaged ready to go.

Comment

Where's the crazy bastage that tried too get butch a friends together together and come and hunt my crazy Limousine.......not kidding!!! You texting me seriosly and then ghosted me. Crazy.....It was a Joke dude.

Bowhunt....none the lest....yes there wild and crazy....but there COWS.....with a bad fence on 170 acres.....and he wanted to do it......I was not serious.....but you you seemed to be. Wild.
              Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 08-22-2022, 07:31 PM.

Comment

I bought some Angus Ribeyes from Hy+Vee in Iowa. $12.97/lb [emoji17]

Comment

Working...
                X