Lets talk Red Dot sights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets talk Red Dot sights

I'm new to AR's and Red Dots. The one that came on the AR I have seemed like a decent one, but do they make them with magnification similar to a scope? What is a good brand? I like playing with this red dot, its interesting when you never have use one.

What everyone calls red dots usually aren't really magnified. They're intended to be quicker to acquire than irons for close in stuff. A lot of guys like them because as you get older, front sights get hard to see. I've heard good things about holosun, sig, and vortex, but like any optic you can go dirt cheap or look at me expensive if you want. You can buy a separate magnifier that goes behind the dot but it's not as good as a scope IMO. There are some scopes out there, usually low powered that are illuminated with a dot. Either way, they are fun as all get out
    Last edited by jdg13; 08-15-2022, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Sounds like you need a LPVO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a Burris AR-332 for a while - it is 3x and has an etched reticle so you can still use it if the battery dies.

It is not a "dot" but an illuminated reticle. For the kind of shooting I did, a low power traditional scope worked better.

FYI. I think my son still has the burris and wasn't using it the last time I asked - he may be interested in selling it. I think it was over $300 when I bought it new several years ago.

Comment

I really like the new Sig optics. I have the Romeo 5 on an AR that is really nice, it turns on when the gun is picked up. I also trust my life to a Sig red dot on my every day carry pistol.

Comment

It depends on your budget. Lots of good options out there as well as crappy options. Sig and Aim Point are probably my two favorite brands, but Primary Arms has some decent options as well and they're based out of Houston.

Comment

Originally posted by mikebyrge View Post
              I had a Burris AR-332 for a while - it is 3x and has an etched reticle so you can still use it if the battery dies.

It is not a "dot" but an illuminated reticle. For the kind of shooting I did, a low power traditional scope worked better.

FYI. I think my son still has the burris and wasn't using it the last time I asked - he may be interested in selling it. I think it was over $300 when I bought it new several years ago.
              Yes I am interested if he wants to sell it

Comment

Vortex makes a magnifier. It’s all personal preference.

Comment

Working...
                X