X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I pay $4-5 for wagyu/angus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How long are they letting ya''ll hang them?

Comment

they hung mine for a little over 2 weeks and it was vacuum sealed Fulton's in Marlin 75 kill fee and .85 cents hang #

Comment

I hang mine 3 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by merlin View Post
            How long are they letting ya''ll hang them?

We typically do 10-14 days depending on how busy the packer is.

Comment

There are a lot of unanswered questions here before conclusions can be made.

Are you buying a whole calf or showing up and buying a couple pieces out of his freezer?

What cuts or is it ground meat?

Along the lines of the first one did you handle the calf or the butchering or any thing in the process?

I don't think he is screwing you. You just may be paying for services or quality you may not want. People here showed you the cost to produce the product. He's not the food bank. I'm sure he wants some profit on there too.

If you want cheap meat go to Walmart not an individual. They will beat it every time.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

At 8.50 / pound my thoughts is he is trying to offer premium beef - prime or prime +. Averages are based on average beef which is select to low choice.

I've seen others selling Wagu and Wagu - Angus cross for $8-9 but they are grading 100% prime.

Comment

Sounds about right. I was quoted quite a bit more for grass-finished red angus a couple of weeks ago.

Good quality, locally produced meat is going to cost more than industrial feedlot commodity cuts sold at the grocery store. Those that prefer to buy their meat from Kroger/H‑E‑B definitely aren’t doing so for quality. I know not to expect much when I do.

Comment

I’m paying 12.99/lb for prime ribeyes.

Not to derail this thread, but if you have never shopped Aldi for meat, you need to look into it.

Kroger meat is an abomination…….I don’t know how they set away with it.

Comment

I’m dropping one of for slaughter this coming Sunday the 21st
                      $70 kill fee
                      $40 to “dispose of the hide”
                      Hung and aged 14-21 days
                      $0.95 per pound ganging weight
                      Vacuum sealed and frozen on pick up

Comment

How far out are y'all having to book dates with the processor?

OP, $8.50/lb does seem a little steep. I am very early in the direct marketing of my beef and have been pondering the price. I'd love $8.50/lb

Comment

Originally posted by Blackmouth View Post

OP, $8.50/lb does seem a little steep. I am very early in the direct marketing of my beef and have been pondering the price. I'd love $8.50/lb

I book ~ 4 months out to get the dates I want. Less than 3 months out and we have slim pickings on head count and days of the week

We quit charging by the pound because it was to much time to explain hangin weight vs cut weight etc.

We charge by the quarter half or whole. And guarantee at least 700lbs hanging. Most of the time we end up closer to 800 hanging and that just makes the customer a little bit happier (If they understand).

Comment

I guess I missed it in The thread.. but is the 8.50 per pound packaged and delivered??

Or is it 8.50/lb hangin weight?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackmouth View Post

We lucked out when I called the processor in Madisonville back in Feb. First available date was 6 months. Our date is tomorrow the 16th. Glad i didn't wait any further to call.

OP, 8.50 seems high to me. We just finished two steers. Bought one for 400 and the the for $500 last October. Mostly grass fed but still fed them non-medicated feed throughout. I will know their true weight tomorrow, but they were on pace to hit 1300 and 1400 Lbs. when I trailered them to the vet. Just ran them across the scales while the horse went in.

Anyhow, I tallied up all the feed costs @ $2500 total for non-medicated feed and hay (finished on corn chops). Could have gotten away with less if I didn't have to feed as much hay with the drought. Processor is charging $1.10/Lb hanging weight to process and package. If my math is right, some of yall in the business correct me if i'm wrong or missed something because I'm doing this for myself and a family member. Only my second time feeding them out myself... 500+400+2500=$3400 for just the cost of the steers and feed/hay. We are guestimating between 550 and 700Lb hanging weight for them each. I'll just average that out for the sake of easy math. 625Lb X 625Lb = 1250Lb X 1.10/Lb (processing fee) =$1375 for processing. 1375+3400=$4775 total. Guessing we yield 500LB from each, $4,775 / 1000Lb yield comes to $4.775 per Lb.
                              Keep in mind this is without any profit. If he is nearly doubling the cost and passing that along to you, its a huge markup.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                                We lucked out when I called the processor in Madisonville back in Feb. First available date was 6 months. Our date is tomorrow the 16th. Glad i didn't wait any further to call.

OP, 8.50 seems high to me. We just finished two steers. Bought one for 400 and the the for $500 last October. Mostly grass fed but still fed them non-medicated feed throughout. I will know their true weight tomorrow, but they were on pace to hit 1300 and 1400 Lbs. when I trailered them to the vet. Just ran them across the scales while the horse went in.

Anyhow, I tallied up all the feed costs @ $2500 total for non-medicated feed and hay (finished on corn chops). Could have gotten away with less if I didn't have to feed as much hay with the drought. Processor is charging $1.10/Lb hanging weight to process and package. If my math is right, some of yall in the business correct me if i'm wrong or missed something because I'm doing this for myself and a family member. Only my second time feeding them out myself... 500+400+2500=$3400 for just the cost of the steers and feed/hay. We are guestimating between 550 and 700Lb hanging weight for them each. I'll just average that out for the sake of easy math. 625Lb X 625Lb = 1250Lb X 1.10/Lb (processing fee) =$1375 for processing. 1375+3400=$4775 total. Guessing we yield 500LB from each, $4,775 / 1000Lb yield comes to $4.775 per Lb.
                                Keep in mind this is without any profit. If he is nearly doubling the cost and passing that along to you, its a huge markup.
                                To get a clearer picture, you really need to calculate in your opportunity cost if you would have sold those steers at their kill weight vs their purchase weight and add that to your cost. It sounds kind of complicated because you didn't actually pull that money out of your pocket. But it is still a cost of the finished product.

For example if I pull a 1,000 lb calf out of my pasture after feeding it $1,200 worth of feed and take it to the processor and get it processed for $800. That meat still cost me a lot more than $2,000 total. It also cost me the $1,200 I would have gotten had I sold the calf instead of butchering. So $3,200 in that example. Not to rain on your parade, but something else to think about.

Comment

Working...
                                X