No announcement yet.

Heroin Addict Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prayers for everyone on this thread. My brother in law has also been affected by poor choices and narcotics. I have seen so many lives torn apart during my career in LE as well. So sad. It shows, that everyone has someone, or knows someone that has been affected by dope. Again, prayers up and know that you are not alone.

Comment

Check out the movie Beautiful Boy. Has a lot of what everyone is saying on here in the movie.

Comment

LaHacienda in Hunt, Texas has a pretty successful program. They are expensive though.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
          Nope nope nope. Give zero assistance. You’re just another enabler at that point. He has to run out of options. He either figures it out on his own or you get that call.
          Yep! Sad reality

The life he chose

Comment

Prayers sent for him that he decides he doesn't want to live his life as an addict. Prayers sent for you and all that love him for strength, resilience, and discernment between help and enablement.

Comment

Originally posted by Double C View Post
              Really floored by Everyone taking the time to reply and offer insight and prayers and suggestions. Appreciate it amigos.

We are just another family you have. Here to help, advise(good or bad you decide), and pray. Addiction takes a great toll on the family and friends of an addict as well. Make sure to take care or you and yours during all this, not just looking after your brother. Keep a close eye on family members and yourself. Don't be afraid to get some counseling to help you deal with the struggle of watching a loved one make these choices.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                Prayers sent for him that he decides he doesn't want to live his life as an addict. Prayers sent for you and all that love him for strength, resilience, and discernment between help and enablement.
                Amen.....

Comment

Sounds like your family has handled it about as well as can be. Prayers for y'all.
                  The key is the want-- just about any reputable rehab program can work, it depends on his desire and commitment. Without that nothing will work... not distance, not tough love, not enabling, not any of it... until he wants it.

Comment

Morning all- this is kinda hard to write into public forum, but I know several of you have real experiences with this and hoping for some advice. I won’t sugar coat it so you don’t either. I’ve spoken with my church friends but none of us understands like an ex-addict. PM me if needed.

My youngest brother, 30, Ex excellent baseball player, is a heroin addict amongst other opioids. I think he even snags meth sometimes. Whatever. Lives in panhandle area. Been in and out of jail and state run rehabs for 12 years. He got out from another 18 month stint in March and stayed with mom. Held a job for a couple months then fell off rails again, sleep all day, use, steal, lie, repeat. PO busted him and he went to another supposedly 90 day in corpus. Finagled his way out After 30. He’s a crafty emotional manipulator.

Mom has finally stopped enabling him by not allowing him in house or paying for phone and stuff. I’ve convinced her of the danger, plus she’s just tired of being used. Stopped taking his calls but he’s still at it trying to pull her heart strings for gain. But is breaking her heart- it’s her son after all. For last month we haven’t heard from him and we think he’s been mooching his way thru his remaining friends. (But still has cell smh)

That drug crowd is so bad.... all using each other and paranoid. I know the odds. I have prepared myself for the call. More worried about mom at this point.

We’ve continued to say we love and Emotional support , but that’s it.

So, here’s the reality; he’s used up most of people and now is about homeless. He hasnt replied to our text or calls in about 6 weeks. Last night I again encouraged him to rehab. He replied he’s ready to go anywhere and detox , but says the TDC rehabs are terrible with more drugs than the streets. I’m skeptical he just wants a place to stay and is lying for something short term (like a meal or hotel room).

my question; Are there any rehabs that work (if he truly wants it)? Recommendations? I want him as far away from his old crowd as possible, forever.
                    you have to let him find his own rock bottom and decide to quit. nothing you or your family can do.

my step dad has a son addicted to heroin. he's been in and out of the best facilities in the entire country. been to prison. yada yada.

my mom's brothers are addicts. they used my grandmother until the day she died and even manipulated her into changing the will when she was mentally deficient.

long story. but, it's up to your brother to do it on his own. tell him that you love him and that's it.

Comment

About to lose my best friend since middle school to drugs. When he was 25 he went to a bar in the Woodlands,Tx and another dude slipped something in his drink and raped him that night. He was never able to cope with anything again. We have done everything possible to help him but aside from money he doesn't want anything. He took a bus from Houston to Los Angeles and is living on the streets. We saw 2 pictures of him about 3 months ago and made our peace. He looked horrible in the pictures. I am litterly expecting a call every day to hear of his passing.

Comment

He lost his battle. Viewing is today. Funeral is tomorrow. I knew it was a matter of time. Doesn't make it any easier.

Comment

I’m sorry to hear. I lost a nephew the same way. We knew it was a matter of time before we got the call. Prayers sent.

Comment

my question; Are there any rehabs that work (if he truly wants it)? Recommendations? I want him as far away from his old crowd as possible, forever.
                            I haven't read the other comments. There are many good rehab programs. None of them can make the addict want to turn his life around. Rehab only works if the person is ready to make a huge life change. Absent the will by the addict to make a change, nothing works.

Comment

Rip

Comment

Originally posted by Hagen View Post
                                He lost his battle. Viewing is today. Funeral is tomorrow. I knew it was a matter of time. Doesn't make it any easier.
                                Sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your girlfriend and family.. Addiction is a terrible thing.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X