Burning Cedar Piles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning Cedar Piles

What are you reseeding with after you burn cedar piles? It gets so hot it sterilizes the soil and nothing regrows.

Originally posted by Reel cajun View Post
    What are you reseeding with after you burn cedar piles? It gets so hot it sterilizes the soil and nothing regrows.

Rye grass? That stuff will sprout on concrete lol. Is it possible to remove the top few inches and replace with a load of topsoil or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Rye for quick cover winter
      Depending upon where you are? Side oat grama

Comment

What if you just cut and let lay. There should be grass grow back through them. The turkeys and other critters will thank you too.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
          What if you just cut and let lay. There should be grass grow back through them. The turkeys and other critters will thank you too.
          Till it catches on fire and gets out of control, and also it’s unsightly
          Up here in the Hillcounrty

Comment

i have not had any problems with anything regrowing where i have burned my cedar piles. about a month ago i burned more than 30 piles, 90% cedar, and threw oats down the following weekend and i have a stand of oats now right where the piles were.

Comment

If your piles are huge, that means the fire has that much fuel to burn, and kills all the seeds in the surrounding soil. Try smaller piles. Are you in rocky soil?

Comment

Excuse the ignorance, but how come you guys burn the cedar up there?

Comment

Other than shredding it, how else do you want me to get rid of it?

Comment

Sorry. I meant to ask how come the cedar is not wanted on the land?

Comment

Any spot I've burned piles it always grows back with nice grass. I've burned a bunch.

Comment

Piles

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                        I’m doing a lot of this too

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                          If your piles are huge, that means the fire has that much fuel to burn, and kills all the seeds in the surrounding soil. Try smaller piles. Are you in rocky soil?
                          Yes, rocky soil

Comment

Where you burning, where's your place

Comment

Originally posted by Whalerboy67 View Post
                              Sorry. I meant to ask how come the cedar is not wanted on the land?
                              Cedar has zero value as far as wildlife except for thermal cover and you only need patches of that, not the whole place. Nothing grows under it, it has little monetary value, so it’s just not desirable.

Comment

Working...
                              X