Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
    Well, yes, of course!

I am not going to switch to a saddle for my fat arse at my mature age, but I have a question. If the deer comes in at a direction that requires a swivel around the tree to get in position, it seems that there is a high risk of too much movement several feet away from the trunk, sticking out like a sore thumb. In a gametamer type, you simply and quietly swivel a chair, close to the trunk with less silouett.

So for a permanent stand, a hang on makes more sense to me, but I can see where it makes sense for portability.

I rarely get picked in a saddle, and I think it is because the angle your body comes off the tree looks eerily similar to a tree limb. I have had other hunters jump out of their skin because they saw my climbing sticks and didn’t see me until I waved.

Another benefit is that I keep the trunk between me and the deer until it is time for the shot. Makes it extra hard to spot me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just bought the Cruzr Xc. Excited to get in the woods with it.

Comment

Just bought a used saddle a couple days ago. My linesman and tether are on order now. I’m following for more information.

Comment

Here is my gear list and a couple of pictures of my saddle hunting gear.

Tethrd Phantom saddle
          Tethrd Predator platform
          Tethrd tree tether with Ropeman 1
          DYI linesman climbing belt. 11mm static climbing rope with Trango carabiniers and Ropeman 1
          Three 30" Hawk Helium climbing sticks
          Backwoods Mobile Gear Versa Aider

I have a Tethrd Sys hauler on the left side of the saddle. I carry my tether and Versa Aider there. I have US Army Molle sustainment pouch on the right side of the saddle. I carry my linesman's belt, a second linesman's belt, and bow hanging accessories there.

My pack has all the normal whitetail hunting gear. Two knives, diamond sharpener, calls, leatherman, gloves, extra release, milkweed wind checker (harvested from my yard)[emoji846], flashlight, 3 headlamps, bow tow lines, bow and pack hangers, etc.

My pack and sticks are 26lbs. I normally wear the saddle walking in and out. I am not concerned about weight. I normally have about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile walk to the stand on my farm and the other farms that I hunt. If I am on public I might be hunting right near the parking area or a mile or so in. If I can't carry 30+ pounds for a couple of miles I need to quit [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Mighty comfy this morning. Even with the wind. 2nd season in the saddle. No reason to ever use anything else. Been hunting out of trees since I was 8. We've come a long way from. 2x4 steps and couple 2x6 in the fork of a tree.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
              I figure that if Warren Womack (73) and John Eberhart (mid 60’s) can hunt 50+ days in a saddle a season, I should have NO PROBLEM making it through an all day sit or two! [emoji23]

Im 59, love hunting from an elevated position. Always been intrigued with the treesaddle. Back in the day, it was called a Tree Web or some such.

May need to look into this. Takes about 10-15lbs off of what a climber hunt would max out. Research continues

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post

2.) The saddle will make you feel a lot safer. I’m 315 pounds, and terrified of heights. Facing the tree, and being under constant tension with either a tether or lineman’s belt getting up the tree make me feel a lot safer. With a saddle, you’re using a fall restraint device. A traditional harness is a fall arrest device. There’s a huge difference in the two. Like in medicine, prevention is better and more feasible than a cure.
                Curious what you’re using on your tether? I know a lot use the Ropeman there, but have also seen it not recommended on saddle hunter since it’s not a descender. I definitely see the appeal of it compared to a prussik

Comment

Thinking about giving a saddle a try. I hunt private land and most set-up are lean to stands. Do you guys use the with a lean to? The lean to stands make it hard to get a good shot unless you like shooting between your legs.

Comment

Im looking for a Versa Aider and a platform, to be fully rigged out. I have paypal ready if anybody has extra. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bigt6450 View Post
                      Curious what you’re using on your tether? I know a lot use the Ropeman there, but have also seen it not recommended on saddle hunter since it’s not a descender. I definitely see the appeal of it compared to a prussik

The ropeman1 concerns are guys reading rock climbing info... the potential failures on a ropeman1 are not possible in the context of saddle hunting.

Ropeman1’s aren’t approved ascender devices for rock climbing because at very high loads (think multi-feet falls) the ropeman1 can shear the rope sheath causing rope failure.

For that failure to happen in saddle hunting, the fall would have to be further than my tether is long to build the kinetic energy required.

Comment

I bought a Hawk Hammock at Academy. I know it isn't near the quality as some of the other saddles on the market but it was one I could get immediately and try out. Academy price matched Midway USA's sales price and took an additional 5% off. Got another 5% off by using my Academy credit card. Total out the door was $244. It retails at $329 so I feel I got a good deal. I was actually surprised by the quality when I opened the box. Not bad at all. I'm sure I'll upgrade some bells and whistles and maybe the entire saddle at some point but for entry level it's pretty solid. I have an old lone wolf stand that I am converting the seat into a platform for now. I already have some lone wolf sticks I will use. Looking forward to giving it a try.

Comment

I hunt out of a tethrd Mantis with lone wolf climbing sticks and i love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                            Well, yes, of course!

I am not going to switch to a saddle for my fat arse at my mature age, but I have a question. If the deer comes in at a direction that requires a swivel around the tree to get in position, it seems that there is a high risk of too much movement several feet away from the trunk, sticking out like a sore thumb. In a gametamer type, you simply and quietly swivel a chair, close to the trunk with less silouett.

So for a permanent stand, a hang on makes more sense to me, but I can see where it makes sense for portability.
                            If your old fat arse can get a GameTamer safely set up in up a tree you'd have no problem in a saddle. There is no comparison to the comfort and stealth of a saddle and you wouldn't know it unless you try it yourself.
                            ecfire1967 introduced me to the saddle. I told him no way in hell I'm getting in that death trap (I am getting up there in age). He finally convinced me and since i tried it out I havent looked back. No way I'd ever hunt out of a hang-on again. It's truly been a game changer for me.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                              The ropeman1 concerns are guys reading rock climbing info... the potential failures on a ropeman1 are not possible in the context of saddle hunting.

Ropeman1’s aren’t approved ascender devices for rock climbing because at very high loads (think multi-feet falls) the ropeman1 can shear the rope sheath causing rope failure.

For that failure to happen in saddle hunting, the fall would have to be further than my tether is long to build the kinetic energy required.

That's what I figured, but then again it's not something I'm familiar with and figure its better to be safe than sorry. I've got an Aero Hunter Merlin on order, so I'll make my tether decision once I get that and can play around with it.

Comment

this is my second season hunting from a saddle and I still don't do all day sits in mine.

I stand on my top stick and don't use aiders yet. I get to about 17' with 4 sticks. I cant see back pain ever being an issue from a saddle. Maybe knee pain because I lean more than I hang. I get some pinching on my hip bones if I hang, but other than that I hunt pretty comfy from my saddle.

**disclaimer**
                                Nothing is more comfortable than sitting in my Summit Climber.

Comment

Working...
                                X