Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lots of these 8 pointers on the property... Genetics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tatom View Post
    If you let mature 8s walk and breed expect to see more and more 8s. High fences don’t breed 8s and expect to get big monsters by letting them mature. They’ll end up being 8s like the generations before. You’ve got to let the 10pt plus deer walk, kill all the 8s you can.
    IMO, Almost impossible to alter genetics this late in the game. Ok to pick a 8 to take off the feed bill, but killing 8s to alter there being no more 8s just isn’t feasible. The trait to imbedded deeper than just the 8-10 years a deer lives and breeds.

I try to let all deer get 4+ you never know what a potentially big 8 will throw extra.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
      IMO, Almost impossible to alter genetics this late in the game. Ok to pick a 8 to take off the feed bill, but killing 8s to alter there being no more 8s just isn’t feasible. The trait to imbedded deeper than just the 8-10 years a deer lives and breeds.

I try to let all deer get 4+ you never know what a potentially big 8 will throw extra.
      I agree. I let them go to 5+ and have seen two 3 yr old 8’s go from 110” to 130-140” at 5/6 yr olds. Low fence.

Comment

Each place has their own horn gene traights. Not much you can do about it. Who enjoys killing or has enough tags unless mld, to shoot 10 bucks every trip out. At our place that's what we would have to do.
        We have 3 bad straights at our place.
        1. Short G 2s
        2. 9 points
        3. I call them 2 inch 10 points. The G 4s are an inch long.

There is lots of time wasted talking about "that 8 point has to go". To much trouble.
        Just enjoy having bucks to look at. Many folks don't.

Comment

That deer is mature and needs to be shot. No where near 140, High teens-120 max.

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
            On your none are they 9+ or lesser than 8?
            9+. Lots of 10s. Our two biggest bucks have been 12s. The other place is just wrapped up with mediocre 8s. Youd think they were a hundred miles apart.

Comment

We have similar genetics, but worse is the big 6’s and even big 4’s that roam

How would you like to have several generations of those guy running around?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	FE5EEED3-7C3D-4212-A233-2E6B3FF1CEA2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	24633702

Comment

That buck is so fat, I would be more worried he would be passing along diabetes rather than eight points! Lol.

Comment

Start killing mature non desirable bucks and more deer will move in. Less mouths on the feed means healthier deer.

Killing as many 6-8 point bucks as you can and letting new deer move in WILL change genetics.
                  Last edited by trophy8; 10-17-2020, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daddypants View Post
                    That buck is so fat, I would be more worried he would be passing along diabetes rather than eight points! Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Larryf250 View Post
                      Per dr James Kroll studies show all mature whitetail bucks want to be an 8 pt.
                      Dead on....and well below 140"

I've read all of his books, several of his papers, and attended a speech many years back. I HIGHLY recommend studying his work (as well as MS State, TTech, etc) if you'd like to gain a much better understanding of whitetail deer.

Comment

On a low fence place you cannot change the genetic makeup of the herd with a bow or rifle.

If you want to kill 8s, kill 8s but don’t fool yourself that you’ve changed anything genetically.

If you want bigger deer, more age and better nutrition is the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                          On a low fence place you cannot change the genetic makeup of the herd with a bow or rifle.

If you want to kill 8s, kill 8s but don’t fool yourself that you’ve changed anything genetically.

Yep

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post

And there you have it. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Blows me away when hunters misinform others with anything but this, when they have absolutely zero statistics and studies backing their claims, and the culling aspect of a LF environment has been debunked over and over agian by many many biologist and universities.

Comment

Whaa, whaa, whaa.
                              Target rich environment!

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                                We have similar genetics, but worse is the big 6’s and even big 4’s that roam

How would you like to have several generations of those guy running around?
                                [ATTACH]1023757[/ATTACH]
                                As a cull hunter, i absolutely love it 😬🤣🤣

Comment

Working...
                                X