No announcement yet.

High Fence Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can practically pet some of the deer on one of our low fence places. Think it has more to do with pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by BCoop27 View Post
      .....High Fence Thoughts.....

Almighty and most merciful Father, we humbly beseech Thee, of Thy great goodness, to restrain these hi-fence entrapments with which we have had to contend. Grant us the understanding of fair chase among all men. Graciously hearken to us as hunters who call Thee that, armed with Thy power, we may advance from this perilous trend and establish Thy justice as hunters of fair chase. Amen.

Comment

I hunt predominantly on a 1000 ac high fence ranch, and the deer are just as spooky as a low fence place. There is lots of thick brush, and there are deer that we never see.

Now, the front porch deer...that's another story! No shooting allowed off the porch or in view of the front porch, and those deer get accustomed to eating the hand corn without being disturbed. They still are jumpy, but they get comfortable with us sitting on the porch enjoying them.

Comment

Besides obviously a controlled environment for management. The part I'll admit to enjoying a high fence hunt is less "that's hunting" scenarios. I don't have a high fence, but happily partake again and again if anyone's inviting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
            I hunt predominantly on a 1000 ac high fence ranch, and the deer are just as spooky as a low fence place. There is lots of thick brush, and there are deer that we never see.

Now, the front porch deer...that's another story! No shooting allowed off the porch or in view of the front porch, and those deer get accustomed to eating the hand corn without being disturbed. They still are jumpy, but they get comfortable with us sitting on the porch enjoying them.
            I agree with this 100% ,
            A exotic hunt is different than most white tail , because loads of exotics are bought at auction and turned loose to generate money for the ranch
            As a kid me and different buddies raised exotic rams and goats and sold them in Harper Texas they weren’t exactly wild , nor tame
            Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 10-17-2020, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
              You can practically pet some of the deer on one of our low fence places. Think it has more to do with pressure.
              I bowhunted Doe on a low fence ranch that had not been hunted in over 150yrs and the deer were 100% tame. Had to get out of the truck and push the deer up and out of the road to get around them. You could walk right up to 12pt bucks and shoot them at 10ft if you wanted to, doe were the same way the first couple years. By the 4th year the doe were spooky, bucks were still mostly tame.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                Come on spike!!!

You were probably thinking to yourself. "You know...I haven't seen any threads on high fence and how hard deer are to hunt on them since I registered and I've been looking for a topic to start a thread about that nobody has ever discussed on here"........... so you let it fly.....

Well....I got a little news for ya! There are some subjects that have absolutely been beaten to death on this site that we can't discuss without everybody pissing in each others cheerios. You just posted about the number one sword fighting thread on tbh... Good luck to ya! Let the nut-kicking commence!!

What about spikes? Once a spike always a spike right?? We should shoot every spike we see right??? [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The one high fence hunt I went on was a place that was close to 700 acres . I did kill the largest whitetail I have killed in 30 years of hunting but I will never do it again . I would rather go hunt a public land doe than do that again . It was about as challenging as killing my neighbors cows .

Comment

I've hunted several where the deer where just as wild as a LF and some that were even more spooky. Then others I have been to and around they would almost eat out of your hand.

Comment

I don’t have an issue with hf nor do I claim it’s much easier. But at the end of the day, if the animal physically can’t leave. It’s just not the same. I think the kill goes down with an asterisk. I wouldn’t say it’s cheating or unfair. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                        I know they have ruined my drive to the lease.
                        The 12 miles from the highway to the lease gate was once pretty nice now it’s nearly all lined with hf’s and more going up right now. It amazes me someone would spend so much money just to kill a deer
                        Most of those fences go up because they are tired of the neighbors killing anything that walks.

I’ve hunted some big high fence places. Just as wild if not more so than low fence.

I’ve hunted low fence that deer were like pets.

I’ve hunted small high fence that you’d be lucky to kill something on. I killed an axis buck at KJO (original place) and that wasn’t easy. That was 15-16 years ago.

The size of the fence has little to do with it to a point.

I will admit that after killing a true free range 164” deer with my bow I appreciate it a lot more. But I am certainly not opposed to high fence and will continue hunting them. Mostly for exotics. To each their own. Hunters need to support each other.

Comment

Comment

Why does anyone care where someone else hunts? Their money and their hunt. It's no big deal to me.

Comment

My neighbor to the south has a half section under HF and he has the spookiest deer i have ever seen. if i open the front door on my house i can hear his deer blowing and running from 500 yds out.

Comment

I hunted a 200 ac high fence place a few years back that was an acceptably hard hunt.. I’ve also been on low fence places that you could give the deer hugs. I think as a lot of other have said, it comes down to pressure and deer heard. Positives and negatives to both

Comment

Working...
                                X