Tree saddle hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
    Ya cause we all know real hunters sit in a barker lounger in a heated box with a thermos of coffee and a box of cinnamon rolls and stare at a feeder until straight up 9am.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Hahaha. This is Funny!

Comment

Ya cause we all know real hunters sit in a barker lounger in a heated box with a thermos of coffee and a box of cinnamon rolls and stare at a feeder until straight up 9am.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
      Dang right, and kill giants. However I do belly crawl to my box blind and keep the thermo on low to keep from spooking deer. Lol. I actually hunt out of a gametamer and use climbing sticks. I have gone to a seat pad in recent years. I’m just not fond of punishing myself when trying to have fun But if the saddle is fun for you, that’s awesome too.

Comment

Originally posted by asu-indian View Post
        Dang right, and kill giants. However I do belly crawl to my box blind and keep the thermo on low to keep from spooking deer. Lol. I actually hunt out of a gametamer and use climbing sticks. I have gone to a seat pad in recent years. I’m just not fond of punishing myself when trying to have fun But if the saddle is fun for you, that’s awesome too.

I find the saddle to be more comfortable than a portable stand. My back pain was the reason I made the switch in the first place. I have 2 disk subluxations and scoliosis in my back, and the regular stands were killing me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
          I find the saddle to be more comfortable than a portable stand. My back pain was the reason I made the switch in the first place. I have 2 disk subluxations and scoliosis in my back, and the regular stands were killing me.

I have back pain too. That’s one reason I hunt out of a gametamer. It has a chair with a back that swivels 360 degrees and an octagon platform. I practice shooting sitting down and have shot dozens of great deer out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by asu-indian View Post
            I have back pain too. That’s one reason I hunt out of a gametamer. It has a chair with a back that swivels 360 degrees and an octagon platform. I practice shooting sitting down and have shot dozens of great deer out of it.

I just started hunting out of a saddle late last year. Got it in January and hunted in it through February. I have bad back issues and have three GameTamers. I was to the point that I hated to hunt in anything else. Lock-on stands kill my back. With the saddle I was able to use the cheap hang on platforms and hunt for hours. Over the summer I altered a few hang one and just use the seat portion as my platform. I hunted for 12 hours in three sits this weekend and feel fine. No back issues and had deer walk right under me. For me it’s gametamers or saddle from here on out.

Comment

Sent from my SM-G970U using
              Best post on this thread......but you left out.....looking up from the Ipad to see that nice buck walking away.

No worshiping the 3 legged icon (feeder) here in Iowa. Hunting up here is like hunting Hagerman everyday. If you have ever hunted Hagerman you will know what I am talking about.

I have two ladder stands, 2 Game Tamers, 4 Lock On Stands, and a Tethrd Phantom, Tethrd Predator Platform, Hawk Helium sticks (Three 30" sticks) and a Back Woods Mobile Gear Versa Aider to increase my climbing height with the sticks.

I use all of these types of stands and methods for different applications.
              The two ladders and two Game Tamers are in semi permanent locations. Two of the Lock On stands are set for the set for this season. The other two Lock On stands will be moved around as needed. The saddle rig is strictly for hang and hunt on our farm and for WMA public land hunts.

BTW.....I ran into two of the Hunting Public guys at of one of the public land spots that I hunt. We were both scouting basically the same area. They said they took two bucks out that general area last year. The eastern edge of this 6700 acre WMA is 8 miles from my house here in Iowa.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                Best post on this thread......but you left out.....looking up from the Ipad to see that nice buck walking away.

No worshiping the 3 legged icon (feeder) here in Iowa. Hunting up here is like hunting Hagerman everyday. If you have ever hunted Hagerman you will know what I am talking about.

I have two ladder stands, 2 Game Tamers, 4 Lock On Stands, and a Tethrd Phantom, Tethrd Predator Platform, Hawk Helium sticks (Three 30" sticks) and a Back Woods Mobile Gear Versa Aider to increase my climbing height with the sticks.

I use all of these types of stands and methods for different applications.
                The two ladders and two Game Tamers are in semi permanent locations. Two of the Lock On stands are set for the set for this season. The other two Lock On stands will be moved around as needed. The saddle rig is strictly for hang and hunt on our farm and for WMA public land hunts.

BTW.....I ran into two of the Hunting Public guys at of one of the public land spots that I hunt. We were both scouting basically the same area. They said they took two bucks out that general area last year. The eastern edge of this 6700 acre WMA is 8 miles from my house here in Iowa.
                That's pretty awesome that you got to run into the THP guys out there. They have made me miss hunting public land. Getting back into it this year.

Comment

I have hunted public land for a long time. 10-15 years probably. Used to carry in heavy hang on stands and sticks, then moved to a climber, then carted my climber and gear in. I purchased some land a few years back and quit hunting public land. Started hanging permanent stands on my place, but got tired of sitting the same old spots and trying to move the heavy hang ons. Been wanting to make the jump into saddle hunting for a couple of years, but didn't want to spend the money. I made the switch late this summer and just tried it out for the first time on Sunday. I am running the Cruzr XC saddle, out on a limb ridge runner platform, hawk helium 20" sticks with amsteel daisy chains, and a versa aider. 90% of the time I'm in a stand, I am standing up. The saddle was super comfy, the only thing I was not a fan of was trying to adjust the prusik knot on my linemans and tether. I'm switching to a mechanical ascender on both to be able to adjust on the fly. My whole setup for saddle, platform, and sticks weighs less than 20 pounds. Maybe less than 15. It is light and mobile. It's going to be awesome hunting public land and my place in OK with this setup. If anyone wants to try it out and is in the Collin County/Grayson County area, hit me up.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                    That's pretty awesome that you got to run into the THP guys out there. They have made me miss hunting public land. Getting back into it this year.
                    Yes !! All the THP guys live over in Albia which is about 30 minutes from me. Almost all the guys have moved from other states to Iowa as their home base. If you live in Iowa you can shoot a lot of deer here and hunt whitetails in almost any other state. I have also run into them at Casey's getting breakfast.....gas station donuts.

I have hunted public land for a long time. 10-15 years probably. Used to carry in heavy hang on stands and sticks, then moved to a climber, then carted my climber and gear in. I purchased some land a few years back and quit hunting public land. Started hanging permanent stands on my place, but got tired of sitting the same old spots and trying to move the heavy hang ons. Been wanting to make the jump into saddle hunting for a couple of years, but didn't want to spend the money. I made the switch late this summer and just tried it out for the first time on Sunday. I am running the Cruzr XC saddle, out on a limb ridge runner platform, hawk helium 20" sticks with amsteel daisy chains, and a versa aider. 90% of the time I'm in a stand, I am standing up. The saddle was super comfy, the only thing I was not a fan of was trying to adjust the prusik knot on my linemans and tether. I'm switching to a mechanical ascender on both to be able to adjust on the fly. My whole setup for saddle, platform, and sticks weighs less than 20 pounds. Maybe less than 15. It is light and mobile. It's going to be awesome hunting public land and my place in OK with this setup. If anyone wants to try it out and is in the Collin County/Grayson County area, hit me up.
                    You got a great rig. You will enjoy it.

Get you a couple of Ropeman 1 ascenders and you will be set. They make using your lineman's rope and tether much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                      Yes !! All the THP guys live over in Albia which is about 30 minutes from me. Almost all the guys have moved from other states to Iowa as their home base. If you live in Iowa you can shoot a lot of deer here and hunt whitetails in almost any other state. I have also run into them at Casey's getting breakfast.....gas station donuts.

You got a great rig. You will enjoy it.

Get you a couple of Ropeman 1 ascenders and you will be set. They make using your lineman's rope and tether much easier.
                      I would love to hunt whitetails in Iowa. Need to look into putting in up there and hunting public land up there.

Comment

I would love to hunt whitetails in Iowa. Need to look into putting in up there and hunting public land up there.
                        There is some awesome public hunting up here. It actually has very low hunting pressure. Especially during bow season and especially during the week. You don't want to hunt it during firearms season, but during bow season it's awesome.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone have a used saddle they may want to let go of? Ive been wanting to give it a try instead of my hang on stand but the prices are decently higher. Seems like all the reviews are pretty good just depends on what fits you the best.

Comment

Been thinking of trying one out myself. Really leaning that way because I hunt private land my in-laws have, but I end up leaving my step and hang-on up all season. Worried about the weather compromising them one day.

Seems like with the saddle you can hang and go pretty quickly.

Comment

I'm down the street in Celina and would love to WATCH you setup and climb one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
                                I'm down the street in Celina and would love to WATCH you setup and climb one day.

Cool. I’m in Gunter. I’m sure we can setup a day here soon and we can try it out. I’ll show you everything I’m doing. This will be a learning year for the most part for me. Just need to get my system down and it’ll be easy.

Comment

Working...
                                X