No announcement yet.

2020-2021 Chaparral WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter and I hunted it last weekend. 7-8th on the Y A/S hunt. Lots of deer were seen and she ended up smoking a big Javelina! Had a blast!!! She missed on a doe...

Comment

Got the e-mail for the GDE hunt in mid-December. I'm thinking they will go with the pre-selected compartments. Seems to make the most sense but as a single hunter party I hope that doesn't get me stuck in a poor location.

Comment

Originally posted by bdubb View Post
        Got the e-mail for the GDE hunt in mid-December. I'm thinking they will go with the pre-selected compartments. Seems to make the most sense but as a single hunter party I hope that doesn't get me stuck in a poor location.
        Same here, but it all looks the same from google earth.

Comment

Anyone find out their compartments for next week yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can't wait and I'm just going for the luck of the sb draw. My luck has got to get better. When I get drawn will be sleeping in my truck with generator running for Cpap.

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
              Same here, but it all looks the same from google earth.
              Don’t overthink it. Every compartment on the Chap has the potential for a wall hanger.

Comment

We were down for the mid November youth hunt. We were in the smallest compartment. #8 in the South Jay pasture. Saw several deer and my son shot a spike. (It was spike/doe only hunt).

There were a lot of deer and pigs taken. But the last 3 weekends were just doe/spike hunts. We saw a nice 10pt but couldn't shoot it. The box blinds are nice but not good for a bow shot. Xbow would work.

Someone took a 209lb wharthog as they escaped from a nearby exotic ranch and have grown in population on the chap.

We stayed at the microtel in Cotulla. Got it for 45$ night. Takes 27 minutes to get to our compartment from the parking lot. They have coffee but that's about it. Well worth it though. Good shower pressure.

The little Mexican restaurant in Cotulla on the east side of 35 is decent. Chicken quesadillas work. Other than that there is a Wendy's a dairy queen and McDonald's off the highway and stuff in the truck stops. Everything else was closed up when we were there in the old town area.

The Chap staff are excellent top notch ladies and gents. Really enjoyed it as it was our first time there.
                Last edited by reaganandkristy; 11-25-2020, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Any advice for compartment number 5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I assume you have to drive the paved roads to get to your compartment but then are able to drive the fence lines and senderos within your compartment?

Comment

Just got back from the management hunt this week, so I thought I would share my experiences and opinion on how to hunt. I brought pop-ups and tripods to get away from the existing stands, but that part didn't work out like I thought it would. There have been youth hunts every weekend for the last 4 weeks. The deer are used to being fed along the roads and senderos where the box blinds are. When we set up in a new area, we saw very few deer. I would set up a stand near the existing stands where the deer are used to being fed.
                      The evenings were better than the mornings for us. Saw 3-5 deer in the mornings and 15-20 in the evenings. There are some great buck there. Watched a 155-160 10 last night for 30 minutes and he got within 50 yds. We had a great hunt and an awesome time. Good luck to all the archery hunters next week.

Comment

Originally posted by WS_AG View Post
                        Just got back from the management hunt this week, so I thought I would share my experiences and opinion on how to hunt. I brought pop-ups and tripods to get away from the existing stands, but that part didn't work out like I thought it would. There have been youth hunts every weekend for the last 4 weeks. The deer are used to being fed along the roads and senderos where the box blinds are. When we set up in a new area, we saw very few deer. I would set up a stand near the existing stands where the deer are used to being fed.
                        The evenings were better than the mornings for us. Saw 3-5 deer in the mornings and 15-20 in the evenings. There are some great buck there. Watched a 155-160 10 last night for 30 minutes and he got within 50 yds. We had a great hunt and an awesome time. Good luck to all the archery hunters next week.
                        Since all the compartments are pre drawn...spill the beans where'd ya see the big buck.

we're gonna have a north sind next week.

Comment

+1 Campground - Check the forecast but I did not even bother with a tent. Cowboy camped on top of a cot, I had a tarp available if needed but I did not need it. It is nice being able to see the stars. Only negative is loud trucks using the road.

Comment

Am I understanding this correctly? Drawn hunters have already been notified of theit preselected compartments this year?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

3a/East Blocker

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                                Am I understanding this correctly? Drawn hunters have already been notified of theit preselected compartments this year?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                                Yep,

think it will this way going forward. I'm in SE South Jay.

Comment

Working...
                                X