No announcement yet.

3/4 ton gasser, gas mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bust out your calculator and look at the added cost of the diesel engine plus maintenance and higher cost of fuel....it will take you a long time to make up up for a few extra miles per gallon. Of course if you tow every day and need the extra torque it's a different story.

Love my '17 F250 6.2L gasser.

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
      I don’t think worrying about gas mileage is a concern if you want a 3/4 ton. I accept that I’ll get 12 mpg and just move on
      Originally posted by Chew View Post
      Bust out your calculator and look at the added cost of the diesel engine plus maintenance and higher cost of fuel....it will take you a long time to make up up for a few extra miles per gallon. Of course if you tow every day and need the extra torque it's a different story.

Love my '17 F250 6.2L gasser.
      This.

Had to sell my 04 Cummins before I moved over here. As such I've been researching replacement trucks for the last couple of years in preparation for my inevitable return to the States. With the exception of towing HEAVY and doing so FREQUENTLY, I have yet to see any analysis on any forum where the diesel made financial sense within a few hundred thousand miles. With the initial $8-10k outlay for the diesel engine, the $.75-1.00 premium per gallon of diesel, 3+ gallon oil changes, fuel filters and DEF, it takes a LONG time to make up the low maintenance and 2 mpg difference of the gasser.

Having said that, if you just WANT a diesel, buy the suckah and have a nice, happy life. Ain't America great?

But if fuel mileage is a fella's only consideration when deciding between the two, that fella is really deluding themselves. Personally, at this point in my life, I've found life is too short to really worry about mileage. Just drive and be happy. You'll get what you get. Heck, outside of an occasional check to ensure the truck is running well and as designed, I don't even check my mileage much any more.

If the question is between a half ton and a 3/4 ton gasser, I think most folks will agree that your dollar will go much farther with the 3/4 ton in terms of capability and safety. That's not to say a half ton cannot tow relatively heavy, but the margin of safety will be much greater in the heavier duty truck. And in those situations, I think a fella would find themselves in a "tail wagging the dog" much more frequently with the half ton truck too.

All that to say I cannot wait to pick up my special order F250 6.2 gasser in March.

Comment

Work truck 2015 Chevy 2500 4x4 with short bed flatbed. Avg 8.8. That Is traveling lease roads everyday.

Personal truck 2016 Chevy 2500 4x4 4 door short bed. Avg about 12mpg. That's hwy and around town.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

2018 F-250 here....

and I average around 13. Mileage drops to about 10 when pulling ANYTHING.

Comment

I have a 2015 Yukon denali with the 6.2 and 8 spd that gets 19 empty and 13 pulling 6k lb

Comment

16 F250 4x4 6.2 with 35” Toyo RT tires I average around 10. Highway 12-13. Towing 9-10. I do a lot of stop/go in town driving so I know that hurts my average. I’m prob getting around 9 in town everyday driving.
              Last edited by skeeteroneal; 01-13-2019, 03:35 PM.

Comment

17 - GMC 2500 - truck says 11.6 mpg lifetime avg and has 29,000 miles - front leveling kit but stock tires

Comment

2012 f250 fx4 6.2 gas 10.5-11.5 from towing to in town

Comment

Working...
                  X