No announcement yet.

6.5 Grendel AR slow Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would I be crazy if I was considering swapping ideas to a 6.8 SPC?

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
      Good round too.

I’ve got a PSA 6.5G and I’m plenty happy with it for what I paid for it and for its intended use (night hunting). I did drop a larue trigger in it and it made all the difference in the world. I work in Bullard. Let me know if you’d like to see/shoot it one day before you make your mind up and I’ll bring it with me.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a 6.8. If you’re building a hunting rig, the animals won’t be able to tell the difference. Dropped several at 200 yards with a 6.8. If you intend to shoot further, I’d go with the Grendel, though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys, well I have pretty still been undecided on it all up until about a week or so ago. Looking at the slim availability of parts fitting what I wanted for the 6.8 and 6.5 and a lot has to do with having to go back to metal mags(I hate metal mags BTW), I have pretty much decided to go the 300blk route and run a 16” for a bit and then SBR it and eventually get a can for it. Parts and options are so wide spread and I guess if I don’t really like it during the 16” “trial run” as I am referring to it, I can swap the barrel/gas/bolt and do something else. So I guess for now, Ima give the 300B a try and see what all the fuss is about on it.

But I am at least committed to building a gun now, I stopped by Superior Outfitters in Tyler the other day and bought a SOTA Texas edition stripped lower and they had a complete Upper to go with it. Put a Magpul K2+ grip on it and still just slowly looking for parts. Here’s what we got so far...
          Last edited by BBReezen; 07-12-2019, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5599.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	24584467

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ll be the first to tell you, IMO, you’re making a mistake on caliber. Either the 6.8 or 6.5 are much better ballistic choices. With that being said if the BO is what you want then by all means go for it.

Also you don’t HAVE to use metal mags, the Pmags will work with a small round count of 6.5 cases.

If you are really want some help with this guy shoot me a PM and I’ll be glad to help walk you through it via text/calls.

Sierracharlie out…
              Last edited by sierracharlie338; 07-12-2019, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Just want to share my $0.02.

I have 24", 18", 16", and a 12" 6.5 grendel. I also have a 16" 300 blackout boltgun and a 10" 300 blackout AR. I hunt with all of them.

I would recommend the 12" 6.5 grendel over any AR15 for hunting. The 300 blackout is fun but the only sub load I have found that is worth anything is the 200/220 grain maker bullets which are over $2 a pop. If I am shooting super sonic the 6.5 grendel wins hands down. I don't shoot supers out of the blackout anymore, the grendel is just flat out superior.

Have shots hogs, coyotes, and deer out to 250ish yards with the 6.5 grendel, works great.

The blackout is pointless unsuppressed especially with a 16" barrel. You will be much better off with a 12-16" grendel.

Now if you want a dedicated suppressed SBR for sub 100 yard shots and you reload, the 300 blackout is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                  I’ll be the first to tell you, IMO, you’re making a mistake on caliber. Either the 6.8 or 6.5 are much better ballistic choices. With that being said if the BO is what you want then by all means go for it.

Also you don’t HAVE to use metal mags, the Pmags will work with a small round count of 6.5 cases.

If you are really want some help with this guy shoot me a PM and I’ll be glad to help walk you through it via text/calls.

Sierracharlie out…
                  Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
                  Just want to share my $0.02.

I have 24", 18", 16", and a 12" 6.5 grendel. I also have a 16" 300 blackout boltgun and a 10" 300 blackout AR. I hunt with all of them.

I would recommend the 12" 6.5 grendel over any AR15 for hunting. The 300 blackout is fun but the only sub load I have found that is worth anything is the 200/220 grain maker bullets which are over $2 a pop. If I am shooting super sonic the 6.5 grendel wins hands down. I don't shoot supers out of the blackout anymore, the grendel is just flat out superior.

Have shots hogs, coyotes, and deer out to 250ish yards with the 6.5 grendel, works great.

The blackout is pointless unsuppressed especially with a 16" barrel. You will be much better off with a 12-16" grendel.

Now if you want a dedicated suppressed SBR for sub 100 yard shots and you reload, the 300 blackout is fine.

Definitely can’t argue the ballistics of the two choices, I know better than that. .

So will the Grendel still perform out of the 12” barrel? I have been watching some videos and reading and some say it’s all good, some say they have seen some performance suffer. Some may be due to ammo, some may be to matched equipment (optics?).

Who all makes a 12” Grendel barrel? All I have found is
                  Faxon - $175 lowest
                  Ballistic Adv. Hanson -$250 (out of stock)
                  Tactical Kinetics - $110 (don’t know how their AR barrels are, Glock barrels seem to be popular)
                  Haven’t found any other makers that I recall.

Comment

Have a buddy that has a Palmetto upper (12” barrel) that has made hits at 500 no problem. Any hunting out to 300 should be easy.

Adding a suppressor helps

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

So will the Grendel still perform out of the 12” barrel? I have been watching some videos and reading and some say it’s all good, some say they have seen some performance suffer. Some may be due to ammo, some may be to matched equipment (optics?).
                      Yes performs great out of a 12" barrel. The federal fusions are excellent, my favorite factory ammo for the grendel. The grendel will really shine with 100-120 grain handloads using the right bullet.

Who all makes a 12” Grendel barrel? All I have found is
                      Faxon - $175 lowest
                      Ballistic Adv. Hanson -$250 (out of stock)
                      Tactical Kinetics - $110 (don’t know how their AR barrels are, Glock barrels seem to be popular)
                      Haven’t found any other makers that I recall.
                      Tbox makes an incredible barrel, they have 12" grendel barrels. PSA sells uppers, they work fine. PSA is honestly a good value for the price I have killed plenty of critters with the 12" PSA barrel. Atheris rifle company also has 12" barrels but you will need to message them, I dont think the 12" are on the website. They respond quickly on Facebook. Tbox is the best, atheris is great for the coin, PSA is fine if you need a cheaper option.

Comment

So i see everyone is saying shorter barrels than i was looking at doing.
                        My question is why?

Is it weight? Adding Suppressor? just curious.

I want to build one and do not use a suppressor. Was looking at doing a 20" barrel as I figured that would get me full burn. but i see 18" and shorter mentioned here.

Thank you,
                        Justin

Comment

Originally posted by 4x4 AG View Post
                          So i see everyone is saying shorter barrels than i was looking at doing.
                          My question is why?

Is it weight? Adding Suppressor? just curious.

I want to build one and do not use a suppressor. Was looking at doing a 20" barrel as I figured that would get me full burn. but i see 18" and shorter mentioned here.

Thank you,
                          Justin
                          What are you using it for? Non-suppressed hunting 16" is my choice. Target shooting 18" is my go to. Suppressed hunting, cant beat a 12". Imagine hunting with a 18" barrel and a 7" suppressor, it gets old fast . Just easier to hunt with shorter compact barrels. You aren't losing a lot of FPS from 16" to 20".

Comment

just an all around gun. hunting, deer, pigs, and some target shooting for fun.

would like it accruate out to 500yrds, but likely not consistently shoot that far.

been looking at 20" as i thought it was optimal. but always prefer the shorter for manuvering.

Comment

Originally posted by 4x4 AG View Post
                              just an all around gun. hunting, deer, pigs, and some target shooting for fun.

would like it accruate out to 500yrds, but likely not consistently shoot that far.

been looking at 20" as i thought it was optimal. but always prefer the shorter for manuvering.

Im running a 16" barrel suppressed on mine. It is heavy, but I dont do a lot of spot and stalking. I am riding around on my golf cart or sitting in a blind. If I spot and stalk I like to take the lever gun in 30-30.

Comment

yah my hunting is in a blind. so not weight worried, just wanted the most optimal overall length. and thought it was 20", but his thread has me thinking 18' maybe fine???

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                                Im running a 16" barrel suppressed on mine. It is heavy, but I dont do a lot of spot and stalking. I am riding around on my golf cart or sitting in a blind. If I spot and stalk I like to take the lever gun in 30-30.

Comment

Working...
                                X