Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swisher pull-behind mower

Comment

I get 150 for the first acre and $50/acre after that so getting that shredded for $40 is like free. lol Most guys around here are 200 to 250 minimum plus 50/acre after the min.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
        I get 150 for the first acre and $50/acre after that so getting that shredded for $40 is like free. lol Most guys around here are 200 to 250 minimum plus 50/acre after the min.
        That's why this is kinda hard to hire out.
        Too small for commercial guys
        Too big for residential.

So I rely on my elderly neighbors to help me out

He's my third-cousin's husband so he's doing it for not even beer money to help a kind of a relative out.

I've been watching YouTube of the ford 3000 and i think that's the way to go.
        Couple grand for the tractor and I'll be set
        Hang a few tarps up until I can get a carport built to store it in

Comment

Woooooow. For bush hogging?

Comment

2 acres? Put 10 cows on it for 4-6 weeks. You will be overgrazed and it will take the rest of the year for it to recover.

OR - like Sika said - buy a mower and take care of it.
            Last edited by Dusty Britches; 06-17-2019, 07:13 AM.

Comment

I agree. $40 barely pays the diesel. It sure don't pay for the time or for anything you might run over and destroy the shredder.

Comment

Pay up and have someone cut it once or twice a year. Better than letting it go just because your $40 deal fell through.
                Buy a riding mower or tractor and be done with it.

Comment

Contact your local Ag Extension agent. Let him know what you are trying to do. Might be a good idea to reseed it with native grass and there might be a program to help with cost. Weed killer for a couple years and then maybe all you will have is grass.

Comment

Sell

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
                      Glyphosate...
                      This is what Monsanto got sued and lost about, to the tune of $2 billion.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/14/healt...ict/index.html

Comment

You get $600 for 10 acres?

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                          This is what Monsanto got sued and lost about, to the tune of $2 billion.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/14/healt...ict/index.html
                          Tap your meter.. I think it’s busted.

Comment

I think asking the neighbor who was mowing it to borrow his tractor is the best route. Pay him the $40 he was getting for doing it, and do it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                              Woooooow. For bush hogging?
                              I just mowed a gentleman's place on Saturday between coldspring and clevland. It was overgrown 4 acre pasture. I drove 1hr 20 min to get there pulling the deere and 6 ft mower on the trailer. Charged 350 to mow it and he thought i was underpaid so he gave me 4 which i was very appreciative.
                              Mowing acreage can be a nice side gig if you already have the equipment.
                              Last edited by bloodstick; 06-17-2019, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I haven't read all the comments, but when I had about an acre to clean up at my dad's place, I bought a few goats. They kept it clean to the dirt. The good thing about goats is they will provide you with a cabrito or two every year, and they're pretty tasty on the grill. If you're energetic enough, you can also milk them. I did this and made some dang good goat cheese. The only warning I would give is that you need a very good fence. I have read that if your fence won't hold water then it won't hold goats!

Comment

Working...
                                X