Fish Fry Batter Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fish Fry Batter Recommendations

I’m not a big fan of the pre-mix zatarans fish fry batter. How many use just corn meal & flour? What proportion corn meal to flour is best?

Louisiana fish fry, I hate zatarans

Dip fish in egg/buttermilk mix then dip in batter

Comment

Best ive ever had is called Shore Lunch. Learned about it while hunting in Minnesota but it’s available down here and the best fish batter I’ve ever had.

Comment

Corn meal ,salt and pepper!

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
          Louisiana fish fry, I hate zatarans

Dip fish in egg/buttermilk mix then dip in batter
          This

Comment

Dust it w flour and then press the corn meal in. It’s all about trying different strokes Quickest way to find what you like is cook the batch different ways instead of doing the whole mess one way only. All fish don’t cook the same either

Comment

Corn meal and salt, nothing else needed. Just get the salt right. Always cook a piece and sample it till you get it. 350 degrees till it floats.

Comment

All depends on what you like. I’ve used instant mash potatoes, pancake mix and a few other things...really just depends on what you like in the end.

Comment

So I like my trout coated with yellow mustard then coated with crushed saltine crackers flour salt pepper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Louisana blue bag. Any wal mart has it. Great stuff!

Comment

Colonel Jims fish batter. It is a coarser batter like corn meal. Very good and the whole family loves it. I order it from William Georges in Palestine. It comes in 25 lb bags. I pour it into gallon zip lock bags and keep it in the freezer.

Comment

I use buttermilk dip then roll in Louisiana fish fry mixed with panko bread crumbs. Makes a good crisp batter. Peanut oil or peanut oil mix for frying

Comment

I use the Louisiana Classic Fry. It’s just cornmeal and flour. I coat my fish with mustard and Louisiana hot sauce, then batter and fry. I occasionally use mustard and Sriracha, and that’s really, really good.

Comment

I like everything I’ve ever tried except zatarans

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                              I’m not a big fan of the pre-mix zatarans fish fry batter. How many use just corn meal & flour? What proportion corn meal to flour is best?

I go like 3:1 cornmeal to flour and season to taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X