Hinge cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hinge cutting

Hey y’all, I’m pretty new to the whole deer hunting thing but one thing I have realized in my few years on my lease is my section is more of a travel route come rut and a get lucky type a deal rather than bucks living and bedding there full time. Wanted to know yalls thoughts on hinge cutting.I harvested my first buck out there this year with a rifle. With so much rain these bucks traveled less on my section than last year. Passed on a mature 7 in bow range last year and really want to get it done with a bow next season so trying to improve habitat. My sectionof 210 acres is about 65 percent pasture and the rest hardwoods.

Thanks for your input. I’m hunting Cooke county if that helps.

Hinge cutting is a great idea. I have limited experience with it personally since my families farm has timber select cut periodically, but where I do most of my hunting it is common practice and very productive.

I would start with cover over food any day, although hinge cutting can accomplish both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

#1 make sure its ok with land owner
      #2 pinpoint likely buck bedding areas, on points of terrain hinge here
      #3 if you have cedars trimming one side up are good options.

Comment

Thanks for the input boys. Definitely gunna talk to the owner about it for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by J&M Hamilton10 View Post
          #3 if you have cedars trimming one side up are good options.
          I'd like to here more about this.

Comment

If you are seeing bucks with regularity, I wouldn't change anything. Is the property yours?

Comment

What is hinge cutting?

Comment

I did some at the farm in Leon county. Huge trees with full canopy keeps the underbrush to a minimum. I think every little bit helps, but it is a lot of work and a big project to make a huge difference. FWIW. I am not a biologist.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Lawhunter View Post
                  What is hinge cutting?

Comment

Used it a few places, definitely improves the quail and turkey habitat/populations when done according to recommendations.

Comment

I watched a video on hinge cutting on the Deer Hunter Forum (I think). There's a little more to it than just cutting trees. It was a good vid that not only explained how but why. You might find it on the googler.

Edit: I saw that vid on Bowsite. The title was The Perfect Hinge Cut. It's on the big game forum now.
                      Last edited by Drycreek3189; 12-22-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

The specs we used were written up by A&M quail guy Dale Rollins if I recollect correct.

Comment

I started a thread on this last year and hinge cut here on my place. Will do more here this year, as well as hinge cut our new hunting property

Does 3 things well! Bedding, cover and food. Anything over shoulder high is useless to a deer anyway other than acorns or fruit. Tree tops and blow downs are natural deer magnets.

Cut straight not angled at about shoulder high. Use help with a pole or hook to break it over. Try not to cut too far past half way to get them to life longer

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                            I started a thread on this last year and hinge cut here on my place. Will do more here this year, as well as hinge cut our new hunting property

Does 3 things well! Bedding, cover and food. Anything over shoulder high is useless to a deer anyway other than acorns or fruit. Tree tops and blow downs are natural deer magnets.

Cut straight not angled at about shoulder high. Use help with a pole or hook to break it over. Try not to cut too far past half way to get them to life longer
                            That's what the guy on the video said

Comment

Hinge cut about 50 elms today. I’ve never tried it with elms before, but that’s about all I’ve got for trees besides cedar. Some were smaller and may not live but I guess we’ll find out in the spring. This is part of my management plan.

Comment

Working...
                              X