Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hogs will test your equipment

I suspect your “sweet spot” was a tad off and you hit some solid bone

I bought a pack of rage at a garage sale. Had 2 new heads and a practice head

Tried practice head and it hit where my other broadheads hit
    Took one and killed a pig with it. No complaints but I am not buying any at full price because I’m just not

I have been shooting pigs lately with whatever odd ball heads I have laying around

Don’t give up, there are plenty more pigs to shoot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I prefer fixed blade broadheads on hogs. They are tough(the hogs and the heads.

I double lunged a big hog with a 425 grain hollow point out of a .54 caliber muzzle loader and he did not drip one drop of blood. I just lucked up finding him in the palmettos.

That thick "plate" that big hogs have is tough on expandables.

Comment

No offense to the OP at all, crap happens and yes equipment fails, but I bet shot placement can be to blame for the majority of people saying that rage’s are junk... if they’ll kill a lion surely they’ll kill a pig. Just sayin
        Last edited by CP121; 10-19-2019, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CP121 View Post
          No offense to the OP at all, crap happens and yes equipment fails, but I bet shot placement can be to blame for the majority of people saying that rage’s are junk... if they’ll kill a lion surely they’ll kill a pig. Just sayin
          I typically lean this way as well. I have shot many different heads, and this has happened 3 times in my life. All 3 came from hypos. After this time I'm starting to wonder.

The shot was very slightly quartering away and straight up the backside side of the front leg. He actually stopped after a short run and stood there. My nock was shining bright, so it was easy to see.

I wanted this pig dead! Out of 1000 pics, I bet 500 were of him. He's keeping the deer away. Plus he's the biggest pig I've ever seen with a bow in hand.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CP121 View Post
            I've killed deer and pigs with Rages. I've killed a whole bunch of other stuff, including African plains game with Slicktricks. I think Rages are junk

Comment

Stick a Muzzy in him!!!

Comment

I am not a rage fanboy by any means, you can see by my earlier post i have only shot 2 deer with them. But if you look on the broadhead damage thread there are a large number of rage shooters and the heads tend to work according to the picks in that thread. I think that shot placement was off a bit, and the head was not to blame in this instance. If you look at it honestly, pretty much any head with some sort of point is going to penetrate more than 2 inches if heavy bone is not encountered, even a field tip

Comment

Grim reapers or slick tricks. Will turn a sendero red !

Comment

Expandables are not allowed on my ranch or my friends ranch. Way too many uncontrollable variables with them.
                    Last edited by LHPanther; 10-19-2019, 08:49 PM.

Comment

For big hogs I would use fixed blade heads. I have shot a whole lot of 200lb+ hogs and penetration isn't the problem. I only use expandable broadheads on turkey, so it maybe slows them down with the arrow still stuck in them. But for a hog you definitely want a pass thru. Slick trick 100gr mags will help with that. JMHO

Comment

A big hog is tougher than an elk.. I carry a fix blade in my quiver just for hogs.. light fast arrows and mechanical heads dont go together.. rage has its place but shooting hogs ain't it..

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                          A big hog is tougher than an elk.. I carry a fix blade in my quiver just for hogs.. light fast arrows and mechanical heads dont go together.. rage has its place but shooting hogs ain't it..
                          Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by Mertzon Man View Post
                            Stick a Muzzy in him!!!
                            This and fixed.

Comment

Rocket steelhead 125 is a great mechanical for hogs.even the Chinese nock offs are great
                              Killed a pile with them .
                              I also like the gravedigger 125 all steel

Comment

Cut on contact fixed blade only for big boars for me, even if I was using a souped up compound instead of my longbow!!!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X