No announcement yet.

What is the Glock of 300 Win Mag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If interested, I have a Weatherby Vanguard RMEF In .300 WM New In The Box, never fired. Would sell it to you for $550.

Comment

Originally posted by blaqkpanda View Post
      I would suggest a Bergara B-14 HMR. I think Bergara is making the rifles that Remington should have. They're right at $1000 on gunbroker.
      The HMR is heavy for a mountain rifle isn’t it?

Comment

Tikka lite and switch the stock out for a Bell and Carlson before even shooting it. Let him handle the scope.

Comment

I would look at a cvs cascade as well. Bergera barrels and threaded.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
            Ruger American for 600 bucks, comes with a brake
            Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
            If you want the Glock of rifles you want a Tikka... and he 100% does not need a 300 WinMag to kill elk. But he's a good shot, as I recall, so get him the cannon.
            These two, preference for the Tikka lite due to it being lighter. I really like the X-Bolt variations as well.

Comment

Tikka and let him get the scope. I have an old Rem 700 in 300WM that is still a shooter but it was built 20+yrs ago. No muzzle brake on it.

Comment

Thanks for the continued suggestions Peoples. Tikka seems to hold strong favor.

Comment

Check out Arken scopes. www.arkenoptics.com They came out with the EP5 lightweight and it's nice!

Comment

Okay. Thanks for the suggestion and link Mr Archer.

MrSackett, Thanks for the offer. PM sent to you.

Comment

Another vote for the Tikka… I have one in 300 win mag.. with Zeiss glass… I added a limbsaver pad.. and dropped the trigger pull a bit… That rifle is deadly…

Comment

Tikka is what I would get for him.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

There’s a Browning 300 WM on here for sale
                          Another very accurate shooting rifle
                          I do like my Tikkas also

Comment

Tikka with this trigger spring

Comment

I would go with a Bergera as mentioned above. They are a Rem700 action and have models that suit what you are looking for, Lightweight, Threaded, etc... Also, they are some FANTASTIC rifles for the $$$.

Comment

Browning, Tikka, and Bergara are all good options. Bergara has the greatest aftermarket support as its a rem 700 pattern action. The factory stocks are better than the tikka's (more rigid), but combined with heavier profile barrels that comes with weight gain. If he plans to get a silencer down the road, that's easier on a Bergara as almost all of their rifles come threaded.

Tikka makes a fantastic action. The main drawbacks here are rather flimsy plastic stocks (you can flex with hand), limited aftermarket part availability, and barrel profiles that are too thin to thread in some models. Some people also report that Tikka factory barrels are slower than others in terms of real world velocity although I haven't seen any data-driven testing of this with a meaningful sample size and it certainly doesn't impact out of the box accuracy - these rifles shoot. A lot of people going the semi-custom approach buy a tikka for the donor action, swap out the stock, rebarrel, and then put in new trigger springs as there aren't drop-ins available. Yodave and mountain tactical are the most popular options. Manners does Tikka inlets now for the stocks.

The Browning x-bolt series are an interesting option, with more configurations than anyone can keep track of at attractive price points. The x-bolt is a 3-lug action so you'll have a shorter 60 degree bolt lift versus the 90 degree of the bergara and the 70 degree of the tikka (2 lugs and a modified 2 lug, respectively). Limited aftermarket part availability relative to the rem 700 rifles but its improving and mcmillan inlets stocks for them. There are good options in the sub 1k price point here but some of the x-bolts are approaching entry level custom prices as well.

For scopes, it doesn't sound like the budget is that high so I'd recommend the SWFA SS series that has been brought up earlier. Before anyone tries to sell you on glass quality or warranty, remember that a scope is an aiming device, not an observation device. Its job is to put your bullet where you want it, and do so reliably. Warranties also don't matter in the field when your scope takes a crap on you because you took a tumble or knocked it over when it was on a bipod. There are an astounding number of scopes on the market that do not retain zero when subjected to side impacts which are what you'd most likely encounter in the field.

Sorry for the long post. TLDR; get a threaded Bergara or X-bolt in your price range and put a SWFA SS on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X