Non-Resident New Mexico drawings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Txpepper View Post
    We were hunting in November. Not really sure how that worked but my guide was telling us we were hunting in both those units.
    You should report your outfitter/guides to the game and fish if they had you hunting both those units. 37 has very limited tags. 36 has the higher number of elk.

Comment

Only if you draw that is worth it. Drew 1 time over the many years trying. So I'm leaning to the no side for last 15years or so.

Comment

Nice.

GOHUNT lists 100% NR draw odds for the GMU 12 late archery elk season (December 9 through 13). GOHUNT lists 12 applicants for 10 tags. 10/12=/0.83. Not sure how NM handles party apps. I thought that the listed number of tags was a hard limit. They may have awarded 12 tags, if one of the drawn was a party app? Not sure....interesting.

Comment

Maybe we weren’t. Idk. But one thing I do know is that guide was full of ****. By the end of the hunt I named him “Big Fish” everything that came out of his mouth was crap.
          If you need a great guide for 34,36,37 PM me . He is awesome. I’d send my wife and daughters to hunt with him.

36 and 37 are almost opposite.

Comment

If you really want to hunt NM, find an outfitter with land owner tags available.

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
              Nice.

GOHUNT lists 100% NR draw odds for the GMU 12 late archery elk season (December 9 through 13). GOHUNT lists 12 applicants for 10 tags. 10/12=/0.83. Not sure how NM handles party apps. I thought that the listed number of tags was a hard limit. They may have awarded 12 tags, if one of the drawn was a party app? Not sure....interesting.
              I'm looking at the TopRut website for draw odds and I'm only seeing 2 non-resident tags given for GMU 12 Late Archery NM and it is says 2.8% draw odds in '22... That sounds way low to me, so questioning how this app calculates it.

Comment

Ok, just to clear the air, we only hunted in 36. I talked to my GF and she basically told me i was an idiot lol!! My bad.

Comment

So, I’m thinking of putting in for the drawings in New Mexico for Elk, Deer and Pronghorn. From what Ive read there’s only a 6% chance that a non-resident will draw out. Ive never done this so my question is, is it worth even trying or go to Colorado and get an OTC tag for Bull Elk. What are the best units that non-resident might have a chance at? It’s a lot of money to have on hold until they do the drawing and if you dont draw you lose the $79 that goes towards your license. Any help, tips or info would be greatly appreciated.
                  If you're just wanting to experience the great outdoors and don't care if you kill, much less see, an elk, then Colorado OTC is the way to go!

I did an OTC archery hunt a couple of years ago in an area I've been going to for almost 50 years but never hunted in (always summer fishing trips). Figured my inside knowledge would help me outsmart the crowds.

Nope! There were bowhunters everywhere in a fairly remote location. I did see some elk, fwiw.

Due to availability of information and quality of lightweight backpacking gear, plenty of hunters are willing to join the others going "farther and deeper." There's more than one Cameron Hanes wannabe out there.

All that said, if you just want to get away, go for it! Just don't define success as shooting an elk. If you can wait a few years, you might want to start buying preference or bonus points in the states that offer them. You'll eventually get to at least slightly better odds if you are patient enough.

Comment

Last edited by SC-001; 01-23-2023, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ORIONTHEHUNTER View Post
                      Unit 12 was nowhere near a 100% draw odds for non residents

Comment

It’s been ten years since I have drawn an elk tag in New Mexico… Just put in with expectations of not drawing, and if you happen to get lucky and draw, go buy a lottery ticket! I have been a little more fortunate with mule deer, but they haven’t been great units.

Comment

I’ve been putting in for in nm for 16 years and haven’t drawn a tag yet.

Comment

Originally posted by GWHunter View Post
                            It’s been ten years since I have drawn an elk tag in New Mexico… Just put in with expectations of not drawing, and if you happen to get lucky and draw, go buy a lottery ticket! I have been a little more fortunate with mule deer, but they haven’t been great units.
                            Originally posted by mattjproc View Post
                            I’ve been putting in for in nm for 16 years and haven’t drawn a tag yet.
                            Are y'all putting in for top quality tags or is this a fairly normal expectation across the board.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                              Are y'all putting in for top quality tags or is this a fairly normal expectation across the board.

I put in for middle of the road tags statistically and I haven’t drawn one in 12 years. They just don’t give out many NR tags compared to resident and outfitted tags.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                                Normal expectations. They are not friendly to NR in their draw.

Comment

Working...
                                X