Non-Resident New Mexico drawings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I’m thinking of putting in for the drawings in New Mexico for Elk, Deer and Pronghorn. From what Ive read there’s only a 6% chance that a non-resident will draw out. Ive never done this so my question is, is it worth even trying or go to Colorado and get an OTC tag for Bull Elk. What are the best units that non-resident might have a chance at? It’s a lot of money to have on hold until they do the drawing and if you dont draw you lose the $79 that goes towards your license. Any help, tips or info would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Txpepper View Post
    So, I’m thinking of putting in for the drawings in New Mexico for Elk, Deer and Pronghorn. From what Ive read there’s only a 6% chance that a non-resident will draw out. Ive never done this so my question is, is it worth even trying or go to Colorado and get an OTC tag for Bull Elk. What are the best units that non-resident might have a chance at? It’s a lot of money to have on hold until they do the drawing and if you dont draw you lose the $79 that goes towards your license. Any help, tips or info would be greatly appreciated.
    The draw odds vary unit to unit. Is it worth it? It definitely is if you draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Txpepper View Post
      You misread the situation a little. Non residents without guide only get 6% of tags. Not 6 % chance of drawing.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
        You misread the situation a little. Non residents without guide only get 6% of tags. Not 6 % chance of drawing.
        And 6% isn’t guaranteed. Only percentage guaranteed is Res no less then 84%

Op NM does a good job publishing their success and application data. But for a small fee to gohunt, epic, Eastmans, etc you can have it in a easier to use format

Comment

I have been pouring over the data in OnX (Toprut). It is a fun research project trying to figure out where you want to play or not play. This will be my 1st year actually applying for anything out West, so I need to figure out what is my actually plan this Fall.

Comment

6% of the tags are not great odds...but 100% guarantee that you will not draw if you do not enter. I put in every year and take my chances...you never know when lady luck is on your side...Good luck!

Comment

I have the GoHunt membership and have been researching as well. Unit 12 had 100% draw odds for non-resident elk last year with a 17% success rate. Unit 9 was 30%, 21B was 32% and 37 was 30% on draw odds for those. Of those units they are all less than 40% public land with the exception of 21B which is 62%. With all of that being said, I am not looking at putting in for any of those at this time.

Comment

Definitely a tough draw. You’ll have a hard time bud getting anyone to give out their unit of choice. Every name in that pot reduces your chance of drawing. I was hesitant to spend money on a GOHUNT subscription, but it’s been the best money I’ve spent to learn each state and their units. Bite the bullet and get it, then have fun researching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle_Milty View Post
                  I have the GoHunt membership and have been researching as well. Unit 12 had 100% draw odds for non-resident elk last year with a 17% success rate. Unit 9 was 30%, 21B was 32% and 37 was 30% on draw odds for those. Of those units they are all less than 40% public land with the exception of 21B which is 62%. With all of that being said, I am not looking at putting in for any of those at this time.
                  I hunted 36&37 for mule deer last year on a guided hunt. Never saw a mulie but saw more elk than we could count.

Comment

Originally posted by muleycrazy View Post
                    6% of the tags are not great odds...but 100% guarantee that you will not draw if you do not enter. I put in every year and take my chances...you never know when lady luck is on your side...Good luck!
                    Agreed!

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                      You are correct, I just didn’t word it correctly lol

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle_Milty View Post
                        Unit 12 was nowhere near a 100% draw odds for non residents

Comment

I need to add NM as well, getting tired of Wyoming turning it's nose at my applications and hunting the pumpkin patch in CO is getting old.

OP if anyone gives you a unit to apply for, don't do it lol, it's probably a trap. You're gonna have to figure out units on your own but hopefully we get some help with general NM application info and such.

Comment

nope no elk in NM dont waste your time lol

Comment

Originally posted by ORIONTHEHUNTER View Post
                              Unit 12 was nowhere near a 100% draw odds for non residents
                              Just going off what GoHunt had listed as the draw odds for NR. I questioned the validity of it as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X