Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Good Buck

First Good Buck

November 2004, and this is my favorite hunt of all-time. I had not killed a deer with my bow in 2 or 3 seasons and I was having terrible luck. I shot over a deer or two, and I had shot under a deer or 2.

John told me in his own subtle way that maybe I should start coming to some 3D shoots with him. Which actually meant, maybe if you practiced a little more you might hit one!!! So the summer before that season I shot every 3D shoot with John & Mark. We even travelled to Jasper and shot in a shoot. My confidence was pretty high.

John filmed a 9 pointer the last weekend of October that he told me he probably should have shot, he was 4.5 and probably scored in low 20's. He also told me that he really thought I would shoot that deer on sight, and I would probably be very proud to hang that buck on my wall.

John dropped me off at "The Palace" and told me the same words he told me before every hunt, "Drill One..." I got settled in my blind about 30 minutes before sun up. The feeder spun, and deer instantly poured in. I am guessing about 8:30 or so that 9 point wandered in. John was correct, I wanted him bad. I had a tree that was 15 yards out of my left shooting hole that I corned behind so the deer would eat and I could draw. When I got my first VE, Tyge (Fulldraw) coined that tree the "Kerrville Blindfold" which is what John and I called those types of trees from that day forward.

He settled behind that tree and started eating, and I drew my bow and steadied my pin. I released the arrow and smoked that hoss. I videoed the hunt and I replayed it about 100 times to confirm exactly where I hit him. Right behind the shoulder through 2 lungs.

I sat back in my chair, as hard as that was, and waited. About 30 seconds later it started raining, looking back on it now, it was no more than a drizzle, but I thought I would surely loose my blood-trail. I grabbed my video camera and started running down the road to John...

I cleared the first hill and the truck wasn't there. Where did he park it? I cleared the second hill and still no truck. What the heck was he thinking? I cleared the third hill, and there was the truck, just beyond the 4th hill. I could have murdered him. He parked down at the intersection of our 2 roads, which was way closer to his spot. I am sure he did that just to make sure I would have a good hunt, even though it greatly reduced his chance of a seeing a shooter. Again just another example of him wanting success for everyone else, that is all he ever thought about.

Well I drive up to his feeder just about 9, and he immediately knows I had shot something. John screamed, "Did you get him Matt?" I yelled back, "I drilled one Paw-In-Law!!!" He busted out of that blind and wanted to see that video, and he watched it one time and said, "Yep, Drill Job... He ain't going far!!!"

We went back to the area, and I started looking for sign, and my arrow, just like he had taught me. Well he decided to walk ahead and look for the deer, which he found. My buck had rounded the corner and went no more than 50 yards, he was dead in a bald open field. Meanwhile, I find my arrow, and the sign on the arrow looks good, but I find nothing where I shoot my buck except 2 little drops of blood.

So I drop to my hands and knees, again something he taught me. He then says, "Matt sometimes when you hit a deer good like you did on this guy, you need to come ahead and check the trail for bigger, better sign." The whole time I am thinking, he has never said that before, and that makes no sense to me. I stay on my hands and knees and continue looking for sign, I am still inching forward, not knowing John is looking at my buck.

He tells me again, "Matt sometimes you need to just forget what you know, and just check ahead for bigger, better sign!!!" I promptly tell him (because now I am getting upset with him), "John are you going to help me or not, because if you say no, I'll just find him on my own!!!" He then said, "Would you please just come here and look at this, I found some big sign!!!"

I walk to where John is standing, and I see my buck laying "dead as a door nail" in the middle of this field. He found him within 15 seconds of getting on the scene, but he strung me along for about 15 minutes. I didn't know whether to hug him or punch him in the mouth. He deserved both!!! LOL

Jubilation set in, and we hugged. I thanked him for dragging me along everywhere he went, for making me practice every day, and for being such a great Paw-In-Law. I found out that Sunday that Jennifer was pregnant, which meant he was going to be a Paw-Paw.

Definitely a life-changing weekend, and one I am going to cherish as long as I walk this earth. Best buck of my hunting career to that point, and finding out John and I were going to have a little hunting buddy, it doesn't get any better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
      John's brother-in-law, Jim Boeker, Uncle JB to me, asked me to post this for him...

I am the blonde’s brother. Since Thursday when Brent (Blade to you guys) and I spoke hopefully to John as the medics put him in the helicopter for Lufkin I have spent many hours focusing on memories of John Dwight Lee, my beloved brother-in-law. The thoughts have come flooding back so chaotically that I began to gather them on paper so I could better arrange and understand them and get a handle on this healing process, since John’s passing has really hit me hard. After seeing the outpouring of love and respect the TBH community has shown John, I decided to share these memories with you folks so you can have another perspective of Tuthdoc, and at the same time, help me deal with this grieving process.

I have known John for almost 40 years, two thirds of my life (OK almost 2/3), so you can understand why I am struggling with this so much. He is the little brother I never had. Bobby and Mark were still kids and I didn’t get to know them until later, but I consider them my brothers too. I will be there any time they need me. They are quality people.

The first I knew of John was when I was in the Army overseas back in the day (67-69). My supply of cookies and cinnamon rolls my Mom used to send me regularly began to dry up. You see, my little sister Judy, the blonde, after culling a few others, started dating John. Little whippersnapper worked his way into Mama’s kitchen real quick like. He was so loved by the family he was served most of my goodies before they got mailed. When it was time for my return I think he was a little worried about his girlfriend’s Army brother coming home in a surly mood. When I first met him, I thought he was a little too polite to be real, so it took a short while for me to believe in him, but that reluctance went away rapidly after that. The kid was a keeper. Anyway, he was relieved that I accepted him and his nervousness was soon put to rest. So there was room for his red 65 Mustang with black top in our driveway. Mama made us a bunch of goodies then that we shared. John ate dinner with us often and Daddy even convinced John to try sour cream on his baked potatoes. I think that’s the last new food he tried and liked. After all, the man ate only meat, corn, and potatoes his whole life. No wonder he had an affinity for throwing corn in feeders. A real bonafide meat and potatoes man he was. Oh, and fried catfish and crawfish. Of course, you all know what he drank. I should have bought shares of Pepsico. I saw John take one sip of one screwdriver and that’s the only time I have seen him put an adult beverage to his lips in all those years. Man had self control.

So John and I hit it off pretty good. Looking back, who could not hit it off with John? I introduced him to skeet shooting and because he is so competitive he got terribly frustrated when he did not beat me. Of course, he was handicapped with a 16 gauge and I was going with a 12. I knew he had a history of hunting, but we had to refine his shotgun skills. We went skeet shooting several times a week back then at Charlie’s on South Main. One armed guy named Hook ran the place and loved it when we came in cause we were his cash cows. (You know how much John hated cows.) Anyway, ol’ Hook would just chew on his stinky ol’ unlit cigar stub and say “usual?” Yep, only two rounds at first to conserve money, followed quickly by two more rounds to heck with the money because John wanted to beat me. I told him I don’t mind him beating me, but he had to earn it cause I’m not gonna LET him beat me. Oh yeah, give us 25 pounds of 7 ½ shot, can of powder, and some wadding too, Hook. When you put cash on the table, ol’ Hook would put his stainless steel hand hook on the cash I guess to make sure we wouldn’t pick it back up. John and I were not about to cross anyone with a hay hook for an arm anyway, so we just looked at each other and waited for change. We reloaded shells back then and that saved a bit, but we still spent more than we should have on shooting birds you can’t eat. John later became an excellent wingshooter, and I like to think I had a small hand in that.

I remember our bird hunts at the farm when he was getting good with the scattergun. Once a lone goose flew toward us overhead way out of range. John asked if he could shoot it and I told him he could but he’s wasting a shell. He hit that dang goose with one BB from his old 16 gauge and the darn snow almost hit us, landing right at our feet with a big “palump” sound. It was then I knew this kid was coming along with his shotgun. Told him from then on he could shoot whatever he thought he could hit without wounding it. We both got so good at shooting quail that we could catch glimpses of quail flying below weed height through occasional openings in the weeds, sight swing through the weeds, estimate the right lead, and squeeze off at the next opening. The 7 ½ shot and quail would hit the opening at the same time. Feathers. One time John brought another dental student with him quail hunting while the birds were flying like that and after seeing John shoot, the guy just watched us and didn’t shoot anymore. John and I just knowingly looked at each other, smiled, and without telling his friend why, moved to a different pasture for easier quail. Man was kind to others without them even knowing it.

We used to hide in the cattails of the cattle tanks waiting for ducks to come in late afternoon. We would stand waist deep amongst the cattails freezing our behinds off waiting for the one shot opportunity that ponds provide. We always got ducks. Usually two for each of us, one with wings cupped coming down, and one with wings frantically climbing skyward after our first shot. If they came to one tank early enough, we would hurry to the next tank and do the same thing, repeating until shooting time was over or limits complete. Man was a trooper and I began to see he had staying power.

John showed me how to catch my first bass on Taylor Lake in east Texas. I was raised on saltwater fishing using shrimp as bait and there he was catching fish on weird looking contraptions called spinner baits. I laughed and asked him what the heck are we gonna catch on that? Told me they were H&Hs and just cast and crank. Worked. Every little 2 pound bass I caught John would enthusiastically say “allll right!” followed by that patented laugh of his and made me feel like the best fisherman in the world. When I caught a six pounder you would’ve thought he caught it he was so happy. Here was the young whippersnapper turning everything around and teaching me. Man was a natural born teacher. Every time I went fishing with John he wore me out. After about 2000 casts, I was ready to go. Not John. He wasn’t leaving until darkness or storm drove us off the lake. Man had persistence. He got so good that he won several bass boats fishing pro. He was getting so far along on the pro bass circuit that he felt he had to choose between staying gone most of the year catching fish or staying home and fixing teeth, so he just came on home and fixed teeth. I think he was worried the blond may lose her patience. LOL Man had wisdom. He put all that focus and enthusiasm into hunting after that and you all know the results of that focus.

Those trips provide fond memories of John. It was just him and me back then at the farm. I had a little brother! After that first year back from the Army I moved to San Marcos to finish school. Judy and John were finishing school in Houston and forging their own life. John continued hunting and fishing and became a true expert in the outdoors, along with his brothers Bobby and Mark. I got focused on other things and my interest in hunting and fishing was replaced with career drive, fast cars, fast boats and airplanes. Our interests had naturally diverged. Not a bad thing, just happened. John would invite me to go hunting occasionally and I would, and I was amazed at John’s passion and dedication to all things hunting. John didn’t go hunting – he was a hunter. My passion was hunting business deals, his was hunting for game. I think he always tried to get my interest back to the outdoors, but I was too busy with other things. After I had sons John was itching to take them along to teach. My oldest son Travis worked hard at 3d shoots and always got trophies for his shooting. Most of the kids got a trophy, but Travis got them for winning. Kid could shoot. At age 7, he worked hard enough to get to 40# draw so he could bow hunt. John would brag about how the 10 and 12 year olds at the shoots could not even draw back his 7 year old nephew’s bow. He was proud. After only a couple trips to the ranch, for some reason Travis lost interest in hunting and didn’t want to go anymore. John and I both missed him being there. A few years after that, John took Brent (Blade) under his wings when he got old enough. Brent loved going to the ranch with John. On Brent’s first long ranch trip with John, the “Blade” took a 6 point, a turkey, and a coon with his bow all on the same day, on the same hunt! When I showed up at the ranch, Brent ran to the truck to tell me all about it, and John was right behind him weaving the tale, laughing that special laugh, proud as a peacock. John was beside himself with joy. I know Brent felt that joy from John and internalized John’s love of hunting. John finally got me to dust off his old Safari and get a place on the lease. As long as I had a son interested, that was fine with me. John was so concerned that I didn’t get my fair share of game. But it didn’t bother me. I just liked going to the ranch and being with John, Bobby, and Mark, all the other hunters and all the kids. I sleep like a baby at the ranch, and that’s what I needed.

So what is it that made this man special? The last few days I have thought about that and came up with a few opinions, so here goes. John was RESPONSIBLE. I think he got that from taking his younger siblings under his wing at an early age. He felt responsible for them then, and does to this day. By extension, he feels responsible for everyone in his sphere. John was INTELLIGENT. Over my life, I have been around Army generals, famous heart surgeons designing heart pumps, and rocket engineers designing Liquid Oxygen valves for the space shuttle. John was smarter than all of them. How do I know that? John was smart enough that he did not have to advertise it to you. The other people I mentioned did. John KNEW WHO HE WAS. His life was brilliant in it’s simplicity. How many of you knew at a very early age EXACTLY what career you wanted and attained it? John did. He never needed the crutches of alcohol, tobacco, or profanity to search his way through life. I think I’ve heard a few “craps” out of him, but around me at least, he never cussed. John was LOYAL to those in his sphere. One could depend on John. Even though there would sometimes be long times between our visits, we both knew we could depend on the other without even saying it.

Did John have flaws? Of course he did. He could’ve not been so hard headed and go to the dang doctor for regular check-ups. Are you doing that by the way? I’m planning on it now. Was he a saint? No, but who cares? He was such a great guy to be around and made everyone feel special with that positive energy of his.

Why would God take such a fine man so early in life? I think God has made John a marker for all of us. Would we all be internalizing and feeling the pain of John’s loss if he was a drunken, cussing, poacher? I don’t think so. Instead, this man has a revered status to all of us because of the way he lived his life. We can see first hand that a good life CAN be lived, and all those touched by that good life benefit. Gives us hope for our own future.

Thank you all for letting me be so long-winded. I filled a two litre bottle of Pepsi with tears, but it sure has helped me get on down the road. Good luck to all of you.

God Speed, John Dwight Lee. I love you.

Jim

What an absolutely wonderful post.....great words for a great man.
      Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Awesome stories and great memories gentlemen. Keep em coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          . If Matt, or any of the family would like it, send my your address and it's yours! If not, it will ride in the truck with me from now on.

Awesome gesture, Dale!!

Comment

Thanks for sharing you thoughts, Jim. Wonderful tribute.

Mark, this is helping us too. Thanks to the Lee family for sharing their stories of John, with us.

Comment

Kyle, Jim, Tommy, Bobby and Matt, thank you so much for sharing those stories with us. We have come to know John over the last ten years of his life through his posts and tales that he's shared with us, but it's great to see family and life-long friends offer their perspective, and reinforce what we already know...John was a great man that truly impacted the lives of those he touched. Thank you for taking the time to post here. As Mark stated, we are a brotherhood here, and any friend or family of John's is family to us. Jim, I remember Blade's hunt and introduction to the site well! John was so proud!

GregE, thank you for posting and sharing the link. Eders was formed somewhere around the same time as TexasBowhunter.com, and I spent quite a bit of time observing and participating in discussions there back in the early years. Tuthdoc was one of the contributors there that I truly admired and respected. You were another. You mentioned that "his calm manner quickly settled the few hot head know-it-alls that seem to plague most Internet sites", and that is so very true. As I recall, you seemed to possess that trait as well, and it's one that I have attempted to emulate in an effort to differentiate this site from the others. Thank you for taking the time to honor Tuthdoc with your post.

Michael
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                These stories are priceless, can't wait to see this thread in the archives where I can read it whenever I want.

I envy you guys who knew John for as long as you did, I'm glad I knew him for the short time that I did.

Sunday night I dug out a "Tuthdoc" name tag, that I think I grabbed from Blaine thinking it was mine that she'd pilfered from me at Nanza this year. He must have brought it from last year, as it has the Pepsi Nanza logo on the back ('08). If Matt, or any of the family would like it, send my your address and it's yours! If not, it will ride in the truck with me from now on.

Thank you again for your stories.
                The Bownanza VI logo, with the Pepsi Logo design, suddenly holds a more special meaning.
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Wow! What great tributes by family and friends. I am truly sorry that I was unable to get to know tuthdoc as a person, but I, as well as others on this great website, "knew" him as a brother...and a wonderful brother at that!

It is a continuing sad saga that we rarely think to tell our loved ones how much they mean to us...until they're gone.

John Lee, you lived your life the way we all wish we could.

Comment

Name tag

Dale I know John would want you to keep it. I hope it brings you luck let it ride with you brother , let it ride

Comment

This is a great thread, please keep the stories about John coming

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
                        First Good Buck

November 2004, and this is my favorite hunt of all-time. I had not killed a deer with my bow in 2 or 3 seasons and I was having terrible luck. I shot over a deer or two, and I had shot under a deer or 2.

John told me in his own subtle way that maybe I should start coming to some 3D shoots with him. Which actually meant, maybe if you practiced a little more you might hit one!!! So the summer before that season I shot every 3D shoot with John & Mark. We even travelled to Jasper and shot in a shoot. My confidence was pretty high.

John filmed a 9 pointer the last weekend of October that he told me he probably should have shot, he was 4.5 and probably scored in low 20's. He also told me that he really thought I would shoot that deer on sight, and I would probably be very proud to hang that buck on my wall.

John dropped me off at "The Palace" and told me the same words he told me before every hunt, "Drill One..." I got settled in my blind about 30 minutes before sun up. The feeder spun, and deer instantly poured in. I am guessing about 8:30 or so that 9 point wandered in. John was correct, I wanted him bad. I had a tree that was 15 yards out of my left shooting hole that I corned behind so the deer would eat and I could draw. When I got my first VE, Tyge (Fulldraw) coined that tree the "Kerrville Blindfold" which is what John and I called those types of trees from that day forward.

He settled behind that tree and started eating, and I drew my bow and steadied my pin. I released the arrow and smoked that hoss. I videoed the hunt and I replayed it about 100 times to confirm exactly where I hit him. Right behind the shoulder through 2 lungs.

I sat back in my chair, as hard as that was, and waited. About 30 seconds later it started raining, looking back on it now, it was no more than a drizzle, but I thought I would surely loose my blood-trail. I grabbed my video camera and started running down the road to John...

I cleared the first hill and the truck wasn't there. Where did he park it? I cleared the second hill and still no truck. What the heck was he thinking? I cleared the third hill, and there was the truck, just beyond the 4th hill. I could have murdered him. He parked down at the intersection of our 2 roads, which was way closer to his spot. I am sure he did that just to make sure I would have a good hunt, even though it greatly reduced his chance of a seeing a shooter. Again just another example of him wanting success for everyone else, that is all he ever thought about.

Well I drive up to his feeder just about 9, and he immediately knows I had shot something. John screamed, "Did you get him Matt?" I yelled back, "I drilled one Paw-In-Law!!!" He busted out of that blind and wanted to see that video, and he watched it one time and said, "Yep, Drill Job... He ain't going far!!!"

We went back to the area, and I started looking for sign, and my arrow, just like he had taught me. Well he decided to walk ahead and look for the deer, which he found. My buck had rounded the corner and went no more than 50 yards, he was dead in a bald open field. Meanwhile, I find my arrow, and the sign on the arrow looks good, but I find nothing where I shoot my buck except 2 little drops of blood.

So I drop to my hands and knees, again something he taught me. He then says, "Matt sometimes when you hit a deer good like you did on this guy, you need to come ahead and check the trail for bigger, better sign." The whole time I am thinking, he has never said that before, and that makes no sense to me. I stay on my hands and knees and continue looking for sign, I am still inching forward, not knowing John is looking at my buck.

He tells me again, "Matt sometimes you need to just forget what you know, and just check ahead for bigger, better sign!!!" I promptly tell him (because now I am getting upset with him), "John are you going to help me or not, because if you say no, I'll just find him on my own!!!" He then said, "Would you please just come here and look at this, I found some big sign!!!"

I walk to where John is standing, and I see my buck laying "dead as a door nail" in the middle of this field. He found him within 15 seconds of getting on the scene, but he strung me along for about 15 minutes. I didn't know whether to hug him or punch him in the mouth. He deserved both!!! LOL

Jubilation set in, and we hugged. I thanked him for dragging me along everywhere he went, for making me practice every day, and for being such a great Paw-In-Law. I found out that Sunday that Jennifer was pregnant, which meant he was going to be a Paw-Paw.

Definitely a life-changing weekend, and one I am going to cherish as long as I walk this earth. Best buck of my hunting career to that point, and finding out John and I were going to have a little hunting buddy, it doesn't get any better than that.
                        Matt, since he did that to you I feel I should tell another story on John.
                        Bobby used to drive a van with shag carpet and John gave him heck all the time about the girls and carousing in that van. We were up at Dam B camping with his family when John got to rummaging around in the back of the "shagmobile". To Bobby's dismay, John popped out of the van with a pair of pink panties on his head, we all cracked up and Bobby turned red as a beet.
                        Fast forward four hours, we're sitting on a pier fishing, people were giggling at us when they past by and John just couldn't figure it out. Turns out, some of us didn't tell him he forgot to take the panties off his head and he had been sporting a lacy head apparel all day.
                        Bobby walked up, cracked up, John said "what?". That was when Bobby pointed to his head, you've never seen a faster movement in your life.
                        You guys that know John know how red he got when he was upset....he was crimson, with that wide smile.

Comment

Ive known John, Bobby. and Mark for along time now and they have always been like uncles to me atleast for the younger years of my life. I remember along time ago when John had his office in Channelview, and i was like 12 my mom made my app. and i was nervous cuz i had been dippin for about a year and my parents didnt know, needless to say he noticed and he let me know real quick that he wasnt happy with my dissicion, with a stern talkin to... afterwards he just looked at me and grined and said i guess your followin in your dads footsteps. At that moment i knew he was tellin my dad and if you know my dad i was in for it. Day past and even months and John never told him, could be the reason im here to tell the story. As far as huntin goes ive never seen a man hunt like him and the second the deer hit camp he knew just how old the deer was. I only hunted when i was younger but when some one would kill a young buck just cuz it had a nice score John would just look and say "nice buck kinda young though" now im 26 and I wish i could of spent more time with the Lee boys and my dad cuz they had so much to offer a young man on life and on the outlook of hunting. Mark and Bobby my prayers are with yall as well as the rest of the family. If yall need anything dont hesitate to call my dad has my number.
                          chris h.

Comment

Anyone else keep checking this thread for more stories?

The Shagmobile and pink panties was classic!!!!

Comment

To start this I'm not a speller, writer,are a story teller but this is what I got.

Don't remember the first time I meet John. First time I remember talking to him was I had been stung by a honey bee on the wrist and sworn up bad. Mark says call John he will know what to do. His stateman DON'T GET STUNG AGAIN.

One of the first hunts with him was a duck hunt in the lake behine mine and Marks house. We was standing in waist deep water when I had a gold cap come out. I pulled it out and ask what I needed to do. His stateman DON'T LOSE IT. Later on it cost me a dozen arrows to get it replaced. This was in the early years.

Sense then we have been thousands of miles together hunting and fishing and just haveing fun. with John there was aways something fun going on.

One of the most memable one was we were hunting in New Mexico on Sept. 11, 2001. We were in elk that morning he set up to call I was to shot. All we could shot was cows (that was the only tags me and him could draw) we had a cow broke off come to us. I got drawn and held and held till she give me a broad side shot at 20 yds just as i released I jerked my 70 yd pin up and sent the arrow 30 ft over he backand almost hit a bull in the butat 90 yds. He looked at me and said are you shooting at the bull. I say NO He say you set NOARC ( could never say the word much less spell it) off with that shot. He starts calling again and she comes back and I shot under her pull hair out with the vanes. I thow my bow down and lay down and say I quit. John starts laughing and the elk leave. Wwe then go take pics of my 90 yd cedar tree and my 30 yd pine and have big laughs just looked at pics. When we got back to camp we learned of the World Trade Center.

I got to sink a boat and starded on and island with John and Bobby. ( He called this the three motor trip with only two motors)

I had the honor to set in blinds with him and ever got to see him make kills ( not harves) of deer in the early years of me going to the Junco with them.

There is not enough tme are space for all storys and good time to be wrote.

Will miss the storys
                              will miss the fun
                              Will miss him telling everone I have my snake boots on anytime I put shoes on.
                              Will miss him making me want to hide when he would start his dog storys with stargers.

BUT MOST OF ALL I WILL MISS MY BROTHER GO WITH LO0VE AND SAVE ME A PLACE

Comment

Originally posted by Archery1st View Post
                                Anyone else keep checking this thread for more stories?

The Shagmobile and pink panties was classic!!!!
                                Sure do. These are some great stories that give a different glimpse into John's great personality for those of us that never had the opportunity to spend time with him.

Thanks for sharing your stories during such a difficult time. Keep 'em comin' and God bless!

Comment

Working...
                                X