AC system replacement cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC system replacement cost?

Had an AC guy out today and got a few estimates for different options on replacement system. Wondering what enveryones thoughts are as far as if hey may be somewhat high or not.

Currently have a 2006 model Frigidaire 3ton outside and Frigidaire air handler with electric heat. 1650 sq foot house in Bullard Texas with 0 shade.

Was quoted 3 & 3.5ton RUUD with electric or heat pump. Said I was borderline needing a 3.5 ton and I agree and thought it’s a bit undersized myself.

3 Ton or 3.5 ton with electric or heat, installed with new thermostat, wiring, electrical, copper tubing and setup. Ranged from $6,500 - $7,200. I was expecting more along the lines of $4500-$5500. Does that sound right? Going to get a few more bids but not sure what to expect.

And is RUUD a good brand, great brand, ****hole?
    Last edited by BBReezen; 07-12-2019, 01:32 PM.

Sounds a little pricey. I had new ducts, 4 ton coastal outside unit, new blower put in last summer for 1700 sf. $7k

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Comment

16 seer 5 ton. $7800 2 months ago. Had hell with rude/reem for 14 years. Went with Daikan.

Comment

Oh and they are listed RUUD 14 Seer

Comment

And is the heat pump worth it? I hear goods and bads on those

Comment

I am not in the trade, but heard RUUD is not a reliable brand. Cheaply made.

Comment

I personally don't like Ruud/Rheem. Doesn't seem too high if its a heat pump. A properly setup heat pump can save lots on electricity. Electric heat puts out 3.41 btu per watt input. A heat pump can put out triple as much. Don't install one without a lockout to prevent the heat strips from operating when the heat pump can carry the load by itself. Get some more bids from different dealers on different mfg's. Use the contractor that leaves you with the best feelings. I don't believe any mfgs make 16 seer 2 stg units in 1/2 ton increments, so you cant get a 3 1/2 ton. Bit that's ok, a 2 stg unit runs at 60% on the first stg, so it will be there most of the time.

Comment

Assume with parts and labor with a touch of overhead most companies will be around 2500 for 3-5 tons, using existing lineset and duct work. Anything above 3k is for sure profit so get to work knowing that.

On the other hand, some homeowners will pay 10k for that system and finance it happily so the company may not want to work with the informed.

Comment

Heat pump is great and very efficient until about 35 degrees, then your emergency heat (electric strips) come on. Personally, I would go with a trane unit.

Comment

That price sounds fair. We had a new heat pump installed 4 years ago for almost $9K with no duct work. Although, I am in the Austin area where everything is higher.

Comment

Well

I am in the business.
                      Tell me your preference of brand...because you’ve had one 20yrs with zero problems...and I’ll tell you 20 people that will cuss that brand in the ground because they had one and it sucked.
                      Ford/Chevy
                      John Deer/Kubota
                      Coke/Pepsi

To the OP...Those prices are NOT out of line

Comment

Price is ok depending on what all it is coming with.

Have someone VERIFY what size your house needs. Don’t buy from anyone not doing a Manual J to determine size. I find it comical that someone would quote 2 different sizes on the same house. It’s like admitting to doing it wrong.

Don’t worry too much about the brand. They all have their goods and bads and every AC guy will swear by the brand he sells.

Definitely go with the heat pump. Well worth it and saves a ton on heating costs, depending on how you use heat.

To me, must-haves on a new HVAC system are: Reliable trustworthy contractor installing it, heat pump, media filter (such as Aprilaire or IQ air), UV system, properly sized return, sealed ducts, parts AND LABOR warranty, and then 2-stage or variable speed if your budget allows.

Comment

jdavidson is right. any mfg can make a lemon, and a bad install can make any system a lemon. But I still don't like rheem/ruud, or any of the nordyne products.

Comment

Seems fair. I paid in Feb 2019 $5800 for a new 4 ton 16 SEER Rheem outside and 4 ton Rheem inside unit. Added 2 new drops in rooms.

Comment

I’ve said this before...when it comes to AC equipment...and I’ve installed every brand there is...it’s a race to the bottom. Tons of money invested in controls and gimmicks...then wrap it all up in the cheapest poorest quality cabinet possible...and then sell the homeowner a extended parts/labor warranty policy.
                              And then when it does break...find a reason to void that warranty.
                              Say and think what you will...but that’s the reality of today’s new breed of AC Techs

Comment

Working...
                              X