No announcement yet.

Remedy diesel use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should be fine now. Just not during spring green out. You want the mesquites to be taking moisture and nutrients up from the roots. Once it gets hot and dry it kills the best

Comment

Originally posted by txagyotebuster View Post
      You should be fine now. Just not during spring green out. You want the mesquites to be taking moisture and nutrients up from the roots. Once it gets hot and dry it kills the best

So spring green out is bad/ I'd have never thought that.

Comment

OP, I like the brush on application as there will be little waist or overspray; however, I would be worried about rattlesnakes. I have never stored any Remedy as I buy several cases at a time and use every drop for that season. Another rule of thumb per my chemical guy is spray before Labor Day for the most effective kill.

Comment

I work for Dow and our AG business needs more revenue, please buy more.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            So spring green out is bad/ I'd have never thought that.
            I don't know all the technical reasons/terms but my BIL who sells chemicals says during green out everything is going to the leaves and big time photosynthesis is taking place. I guess during these times the plant isn't actively growing, just the leaves are. You want the plant to be taking nutrients from the roots and distributing them throughout the whole plant. If the plant is greening out it can burn off all of the leaves but it doesn't truly kill the plant.

Comment

Originally posted by txagyotebuster View Post
              I don't know all the technical reasons/terms but my BIL who sells chemicals says during green out everything is going to the leaves and big time photosynthesis is taking place. I guess during these times the plant isn't actively growing, just the leaves are. You want the plant to be taking nutrients from the roots and distributing them throughout the whole plant. If the plant is greening out it can burn off all of the leaves but it doesn't truly kill the plant.

Good stuff... thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Basal spray method works year round. (The method described above with 75-85% diesel and 15-25% Remedy, sprayed on the trunk)

Foliar sprays via broadcast or individual plant treatment should only be done when soil temp is above 75" and the foliage is healthy and all emerald green.This is because you're treating bud sprouting plants and want the plant trans-locating carbohydrates from the foliage down to the bud zone and not the other way around. (no light green fresh growth). For individual plant treatment on mesquite use 1% DOW Sendero, 1/4% surfactant and 1/4% blue dye to identify which plants have been treated. For mixed brush (blackbrush, catclaw acacia, granjeno, guajillo, huisache, mesquite, pricklypear, retama, skunkbush, tasajillo, twisted acacia) we add another half percent of picloram or remedy to the 1% sendero solution and have good success.

If you've been managing plants with mechanical methods like trimming or shredding, you need to wait a couple growing seasons before foliar treatments so that you can ensure enough chemical contact... if you just have a few plants, I'd recommend basal treatment with diesel remedy.

The Brushbusters publications are a great place to start learning. They also have a handful of youtube videos, just google it.

The link below describes different chemicals mixtures that you can use on varying plants and their success rates (indicated by L, M, H, VH). We're mostly managing roads and hunting areas, so we treat for "mixed brush"

As to the OP's original question, I've stored diesel remedy mixture in an outdoor shed for 2 years and it works as well as the day we mixed it.

Hope this helps

Comment

With at least 20% I've never had bad kill. I spray or paint when I can, any season. Since the weather has been good I'm still foliar spraying with remedy/reclaim on small (<12" ) tall trees.

For those just going to start using remedy diesel mix, a few words of advice. Mix often...every few minutes.

Comment

I’ve stored the diesel/Remedy mix for almost a year with no issues. Just shake it well before you use it again.

The diesel is hard on good sprayers, so I often make a point of using the cheap Walmart 1 gallon sprayers. They’re only $5-$7. Take off the crappy wand they come with, and put one of these on:

Or this:

You can stretch the tubing over the barb on that wand, and tighten it on with a cheap little worm drive clamp. If the diesel eats the sprayer up, take off your good wand/tip, and transfer it to another $7 sprayer. You’ll be real disappointed if you screw up a nice $100 backpack rig.

Spend the money and get you a Conejet 5500 x-1 or x-3 tip. You will waste a LOT less mix that way, and at $60-$80 a gallon for Remedy, that can help.

Get a strainer/check valve to go inside the tip, also. If you don’t get the check valve, the tip will keep spraying for 30 seconds after you release the handle.

The x-1 tip has such a small orifice that it will want to clog more often. FYI, that tip flows so little, that you can spray for 45-50 minutes wide open before using a gallon. There’s a reason Brushbusters recommends it.

Remember, you’re just trying to get the bottom 12”-18” of the trunk wet. I can usually spot the trees I sprayed within 7-10 days. The leaves quickly go from green to yellow.
                    Last edited by Abctx; 07-11-2019, 10:07 PM.

Comment

I also have ruined a 100.00 backpack sprayer with Remedy/Diesel mix. I still use the 25% solution on cactus as I want it gone for good. I also still paint Hackberry,Chinaberry and mesquite stumps with the 25% solution.

You are correct in using a cheap sprayer for Remedy/diesel. I have switched over to RM43 for my backpack sprayer.

Comment

Does anyone mix with water instead of diesel?

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
                          Sendero or Remedy for Mesquite?
                          Sendero is very effective and great if you are spraying small mesquite over a large area. It is an expensive herbicide, but much less labor intensive because you can broadcast with a boom sprayer and not worry about the grass dying.

Remedy is effective but very labor intensive and will kill everything. You also need to worry about translocation to other tree roots, so you will not want to spray it under live oaks, pecans, or other desirable trees.

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          So lets say we want to spray small mesquites next year around our feedpens and shooting lanes. What time of the year is best an what ratio mixture of diesel to Remedy should I use? I probably have 50-60 I need to get dead and will probably find some more too. Tired of trimming them back every year. None larger that the size of a pencil .....

Is spring green up the best time?

I also have one large stump that's probably 6" wide that keeps shooting up new plants every year. I've drill holes in it to help it rot but that seems to just make it hold water better and grow. Somebody told me to put epsom salt on it and in the holes....
                          Jason, the best time to spray mesquite and huisache is when the leaves are dark green, which is now through August.

Epsom salt will work, but you can buy stump killer in a small bottle that is much more effective. If this stump is a mesquite, drill the holes and douse it with remedy (25%) and diesel.

The problem I have on my place is for 20 years before we bought it the previous owners just shredded it. Now I have stumps underground that are as big as my arm and the plant above ground is thin and about 2-3' high. There is no way I can apply enough herbicide to the top growth to kill the root so I actually dig up the soil around the root until I get the down tap and I make sure I get the side bud roots:

This is a recent mesquite I tackled.

Here's the side buds developing. This root is actually not that big but last year the small tree was cut when I baled hay in this pasture.

I normally just spray the tree and this root, but this time I cut it at ground level and sprayed it. Time will tell if it was effective.

I'm glad to read they now are recommending 15% Remedy. That will help with costs. I bought a cheap pump sprayer for application because I thought the diesel would tear it up but I've used it for several years without cleaning it and I've not had any issues. I store it out of the sun... Just make sure you label your sprayers with the herbicide and the dilution you used.

Comment

Try the Pronone Power Pellets for those big root deals. Not cheap, but not near as labor intensive.

I use a 4 ft piece of PVC so I can direct the pellets down to the base of the tree. Especially helps if there’s heavy grass cover or low hanging branches keeping you from getting near base of the trunk. Just drop ‘em down the tube.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                              Does anyone mix with water instead of diesel?
                              The water mix is for foliar (leaf) spray. Diesel is for basal bark (trunk) spray. The diesel allows the Remedy to “penetrate” the bark.

Conversely, spraying the diesel mix on leaves will burn the leaves off before they reslly have enough time to absorb the mixture and send it to the root.

Comment

Anyone try Crossbow? I think it’s like a 2-4D and remedy mix.

Comment

Working...
                                X