Anvil restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anvil restoration

In-laws found this 50Ib anvil at an estate auction for 10.00. It’s rough, but I think it could be a decent piece. It’s not a huge anvil, but I’ve wanted one for awhile. I enjoy projects like this, and figured I’d share the process with y’all.

Didn’t intend to work on it yesterday, but I was putting some tools away and decided to give the surface some work.

Still have some surface work to do, and a lot of work overall. But any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. This is a new type of project for me.

I’ll post pictures along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that thing could talk...

Very cool, please keep us updated on progress. Did you use a wire wheel for the cleanup?

Comment

Great score. I'll give you $20 for it.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

Heck I will give ya $2 a pound

Comment

So next question. I love a good patina and something with great character, but this is more rust than anything. Would y’all just refinish surface and horn, and leave everything else? Or knock down the major rust and keep it rough looking?

Comment

I'd knock off the rust and use it as is

Comment

That’s a great project!

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                If that thing could talk...

Very cool, please keep us updated on progress. Did you use a wire wheel for the cleanup?
                There was major pitting and some uneven areas. I used a gridding wheel to level it out and get rid of the pitting. Then used a grinding/polish wheel to start smoothing it out. I used an angle grinder brush attachment to knock the rust off.

Comment

heck of a find for $10.00!

Comment

I would just start using it. No need to use a grinder to get rid of the pitting.

Comment

When I first saw the post, I thought........restore an anvil.....how do you f-up an anvil to the point it needs restoration? My dad always told me boy "you could f-up an anvil". It looks great to me, go ahead and start beating some metal, forge something. Great find.

Comment

Anvil restoration

Small update. So I took some TBH advice and decided to knock the rust off and leave as is. Finally got some time to work on the anvil today, and I’m pleased with the results! Leveled and completed the face, smoothed the horn and table out, and knocked the remaining rust of the rest of the anvil. I also smoothed the base out, so it will sit flat on the bench. I like the rough look with a clean top.

After smoothing base, the rebound had improved greatly and really feels nice when working on the surface. Has a nice “ping” now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

sweet restore.

Comment

Nice find. The only left that I would do if'n it were mine is take it to a machine shop and run it across their head surfacing grinder to true up the face and have a perfectly flat working surface. Probably wouldn't cost much and helps a great deal when forging a thin flat blade.

Comment

That’s pretty good looking now.

Comment

Working...
                              X