No announcement yet.

Frio river flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are here now, anyone know how long the majors to 7 bluffs float is ?

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
      Right around 3 hours. If the river goes down much from whatever the flow was yesterday there will be a couple spots you gotta walk depending on how big, heavy, you are. I was dragging in a couple spots yesterday but still made it thru. My wife and son made it no problem.

I agree with what sackett said about the floats from 7 bluffs to frio country and frio country to Niels. It gets pretty crazy on the weekends, we just make sure we are in the river by 11 and have never had a problem. During the week, like yesterday we didn’t start floating till 1 and it was still nice.
      👍
      We are gonna do that float this morning @10. Probably head over to the swimming hole “Quince” at Camp Wood in the afternoon.

Comment

Floated 7 Bluffs to Frio Country today. Water flow was 68CFS today. Got off the tube to walk one time because I got in the wrong side and got pushed on shallow area, and another time over the 2nd road crossing. All in all it was a great time. We floated, did the longer rapids twice, a couple rope swings, and paddled some in open water with the wind blowing from the south 10-15mph. Our group still made the trip in 2:15-2:30. Thanks Coachmas

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
          When the water is right (70 cfs+) we like to do from 1120 - 1050 (start where Happy Hollow drops you off and keep going past Happy Hollow to the 1050 bridge) there's some beautiful stops along the way with several chutes the kids will do over and over. The kicker is at 1050, you have to haul all your gear up the steep bank and have a vehicle parked or someone picking you up. You used to be able to drive all the way down but idiots were accessing the river and driving in it with their trucks so they shut it down. The last stretch is slow and you may have to walk, but that doesn't bother me; the scenery and stretch of water along the way make it worth it. I used to love the stretches between Magers Crossing to Riverview (back when you could exit there) and seven Bluffs to Neal's, but now it's like The Guadalupe and Mardi Gras on Bourbon St with all the dumbarses thinking the whole river a half-mile in both directions needs to hear the music coming out of your radio cooler with 4, 6x9's a subwoofer and 1000 watt amp.

Partly why we haven't been in several years plus I don't enjoy floating in other's pee that much anymore .

Comment

Originally posted by coachmas View Post
            Floated 7 Bluffs to Frio Country today. Water flow was 68CFS today. Got off the tube to walk one time because I got in the wrong side and got pushed on shallow area, and another time over the 2nd road crossing. All in all it was a great time. We floated, did the longer rapids twice, a couple rope swings, and paddled some in open water with the wind blowing from the south 10-15mph. Our group still made the trip in 2:15-2:30. Thanks Coachmas
            Glad to hear it worked out. Was kinda rainy this morning so we drove the twisted sisters and saw tons of cool exotics. Then hit the river this afternoon. Unfortunately we head home tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
              Glad to hear it worked out. Was kinda rainy this morning so we drove the twisted sisters and saw tons of cool exotics. Then hit the river this afternoon. Unfortunately we head home tomorrow.
              We got one more day. Headed to GSP in the morning, hiking and a swim before lunch. Then maybe Frio Country to Neels or come back to Pecan Farm and swim. Then GSP dance at night. Heading home Thursday morning. Safe travels! Coach

Comment

We got one more day. Headed to GSP in the morning, hiking and a swim before lunch. Then maybe Frio Country to Neels or come back to Pecan Farm and swim. Then GSP dance at night. Heading home Thursday morning. Safe travels! Coach
                If you're at Frio Pecan Farm, do the float from there, down to the low water crossing past The Baptist Encampment off 1120. You'll need your own tubes or can rent from Pecan Farm. You'll also need to have your own trucks to shuttle.

Comment

If you're at Frio Pecan Farm, do the float from there, down to the low water crossing past The Baptist Encampment off 1120. You'll need your own tubes or can rent from Pecan Farm. You'll also need to have your own trucks to shuttle.
                  We’ve stayed here two years, didn’t know you could float from here down to anything. Last year the flow was too low I guessing. Thanks for the info. Coach

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKET View Post
                    We are here now, anyone know how long the majors to 7 bluffs float is ?
                    We had a large group yesterday that made
                    The float in 6hrs. That was with a few rope swing’s and a lunch break thrown in .

Comment

We’ve stayed here two years, didn’t know you could float from here down to anything. Last year the flow was too low I guessing. Thanks for the info. Coach
                      It is one of our favorite floats but the river has to be flowing pretty good in order to do it. There are some deeper sections that you will have to paddle through but we are never in a hurry when floating the river

Comment

Never done it. When you say you have to walk the low spots, at a water flow of of say 50, how far? 50 yards, half mile, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                          Never done it. When you say you have to walk the low spots, at a water flow of of say 50, how far? 50 yards, half mile, etc.?
                          If you're talking about the float from Pecan Farm, south, then there is some walking at 50 cfs and there are some deeper sections a little further down you might have to paddle through. But the scenery and lack of other people is well worth it. If you have a kayak it's even better. We run it with kayaks and tubes. Cooter's go on kayaks to keep the weight and the freedom of movement in a tube. There is a section of water falls through some cypress trees that we spend at least an hour at taking pictures and relaxing

Comment

If you're talking about the float from Pecan Farm, south, then there is some walking at 50 cfs and there are some deeper sections a little further down you might have to paddle through. But the scenery and lack of other people is well worth it. If you have a kayak it's even better. We run it with kayaks and tubes. Cooter's go on kayaks to keep the weight and the freedom of movement in a tube. There is a section of water falls through some cypress trees that we spend at least an hour at taking pictures and relaxing
                            Awesome!! Thanks

Comment

I grew up on that stretch of river. Love the float, fishing can be great, and less crowded. My grandparents had a house right there in Leakey springs estates, oh if those cypress trees could talk.

Comment

Flow got down in the upper 50’s yesterday, but back up to 67 now. Leaving tomorrow 👍

Comment

Working...
                                X