No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone hunted elk around Pinedale, WY? I've got a contact up that way and am considering applying in that area this year or next, depending on the guys in my party.

Comment

I have not but you need to be careful applying up there. Non-Residents cannot hunt a wilderness in WY without a guide. The area around Pinedale (96 & 97) has quite a bit of Wilderness and I suspect that's where the Elk are during archery. A way around the wilderness thing is to of course hire a guide or your contact(assuming he is a WY resident) can go with you but he must apply for a guide license with the state. Gonna take a point in the regular draw to assure you draw in either of those units.

Comment

Looks like I am doing an Idaho trip this year, all OTC and doing points in WY and AZ.

Comment

Hope you got a good spot in ID. The Wolves have really punished the population. My buddy has hunted Dworshak and Lolo for many years and it it has gone steadily downhill. There are still Elk in there but far fewer he said. They are moving units this year or may not go at all.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
            Well, just got done putting all of my bivy pack gear in new spot in the garage, and got the feeling that is is getting into application time and it is always physical prep time of the year. Figured I would start a thread concerning anything and everything with the ol wapiti.

Always see LOTS of folks who chime in on the elk live hunts each year, and they always say that they would LOVE to hunt elk, but don't know how, who, what, where, or when. Well, hopefully this can build over the winter months and we can help each other out and learn a thing or two from the more seasoned elk hunters on here.
            Starting my 2 a days on Tuesday!

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
              Hope you got a good spot in ID. The Wolves have really punished the population. My buddy has hunted Dworshak and Lolo for many years and it it has gone steadily downhill. There are still Elk in there but far fewer he said. They are moving units this year or may not go at all.
              Yes sir, got a semi inside track on private and public land that hasn't had the same problems as most. They shot a lot of elk and deer out of it last year. But a lot can happen in a year, especially if they have another bad snow year.

Comment

If you've got a spot where predators aren't an issue you will be good. Weather doesn't hurt Elk much. Deer on the other hand.

Comment

Unless the elk are getting chased by the wolves in the snow! Ha ha ha

Comment

When do they start selling the OTC licenses in CO? Is it the same day that they start taking draw apps or is it the OPEN date of 7/10/12? I can't believe that they would wait that late. I'm going to take the plunge this year and stop wishing and just get out there.

Comment

Is there no other time to archery hunt elk than during the run from late Sept-early Oct.? If I get a rifle OTC tag, I can't use my bow instead?

Comment

How difficult will it be to try the DIY hunt on my own without anyone else? I really don't know anyone else that will want to do this with me.

Comment

Originally posted by marshrat View Post
                          How difficult will it be to try the DIY hunt on my own without anyone else? I really don't know anyone else that will want to do this with me.
                          There was a thread last season looking for hunters that might be interested in doing a small group DIY archery hunt in CO. It would be better if you can find someone to go with. It is easier to scout, call, haul game and camp as a group than as an individual.

Comment

Originally posted by marshrat View Post
                            Marsh, how do you want to hunt? High mountain passes and nasty nasty canyons with black timber? More open country and not so high, and has lots of sage but not as many elk? Do you want to pack into a Wilderness area where only foot or horse travel is permitted or camp at the truck? Let us know that first, and then we can give you more info. There are no dumb questions.

Comment

Plenty of guys hunt Elk by themselves. I hunt deer and Antelope by myself but Elk is different. Archery Elk hunting really lends itself to a partner and if you down one in a remote area you'll wish you had 4 partners. A small bull will yield about 200# of deboned meat plus the head. Few guys can comprehend the effort it takes to get that out of a steep, high altitude area.

I would take Ladrones advice and find someone looking for a partner as well. Do your homework, get the right gear and get after it.

Comment

There is a new Elk Hunting Magazine out. A couple of guys that left Eastmans', Ryan Hatfield and Nate Simmons are a part of it. Initial reviews are very good and it sounds like it is allot like Eastmans' only better. It will contain how to articles, gear reviews, Stories and just like Eastmans', a research section in the back that will give you advise on where and how to apply for Elk in Western States.

For guys just starting out these magazines can really jump start your knowledge level on Elk hunting the west. Huntinfool, Eastman's and now Elk Hunter are really good investments.

Comment

Working...
                                X