Headed to Big Bend SP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed to Big Bend SP!

My 9 year old and I are headed to Big Bend SP on Sunday for youth rifle hunt and to say we are excited would be an understatement! We are about as prepared as I know how to be and I’m looking for advise from all of you who have hunted in or around this area, we both have decent optics including spotting scope and are prepared to cover some ground but I’m curious how passable the roads are, I have a late model 4x4 truck that I would really rather not scratch all of the paint off of, also we are coming in Sunday night does anyone have a lead on a good place to stay within a couple hours of the Sauceda ranger station? Any tips or tricks to find these deer, areas to focus on? Any tips or past experiences would be helpful! Obviously we don’t know what unit we will be hunting just looking for general info, thanks and I look forward to updating this thread as we go!

I go out there quite a bit but I have never hunted the SP. If you drive in the backcountry your truck will get scratched up. The roads are gnarly. There are sites along River Rd in the SP that you can use your RV or tent camp. If you are hunting in the backcountry Presidio, TX is the closest place. If you are not camping Air BnB might be your best option. Sauceda has limited accommodations in their bunkhouse area. Lajitas has a resort but this is the busy time of year. If you do the speed limit Sauceda is about an hour from the paved road. The closer you can stay the better. You will not have cell service. If you are going off the main roads be sure you have E rated tires and a good spare. I carry plugs and a compressor just in case.

Comment

Typical road off the main dirt road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I stayed in a motel in Presidio and it is a little over an hour drive to the park headquarters. I also stayed in the bunkhouse at the park and it is ok. Your truck will get scratched just have it polished when you get home. Get high and glass. Drive and drive to see deer. Most move just after dawn and late in the day. Find water and glass. We killed good deer and javelina. Take a camera for the views, wildlife, wild burros and cattle. Presidio closes down early so don't waste time if you want to eat in town at night. Take cans of fix a flat and a compressor that works off the truck. Take plenty of water as you will dehydrate easily in the high desert.
        Last edited by wilded; 11-27-2021, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys keep it coming, anyone else have anything

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Good luck! That place holds a special place for me was I was able to take a 170” mule deer in the early years of the park.

Comment

Well?

Comment

off the grid right now?

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                    off the grid right now?
                    We got it done in a big way! Pics coming

Comment

Following

Comment

Id really like to know more about this. I love it down there in that area. But the thought of hunting it to me was more of a dream. Would be a neat hunt for me and the wife. Or me and my dad to go on. Is it a draw hunt or what?

Comment

In for pics and story

Comment

Awesome!!!! In for the pics..

Comment

I like the sound of this......

Rwc

Comment

Working...
                              X