No announcement yet.

Acorns falling like rain...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been dropping for a while here in the SA area but still a bunch in the trees. Where I hunt in Kimble Co the deer activity at my protein feeder is dropping off. Oh well, at least it’s almost season even if they are eating everything but my corn[emoji22]

Comment

I’m located in Dripping. Live oak acorn crop is sparse. It’s bone dry. Deer are pounding the corn. The bachelor groups of bucks are breaking up. One of my young bucks from last year returned today and had significant improvement in both his antlers and body size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DamonJ View Post
        Oh one of the pleasures of hunting in STX, I do not miss the Acorns this time of year!!!

Little Green Devil Nuts!!!

Here comes the "Go hunt the Acorns" crowd!!
        And Dude they are thick this year.. I just got back and the shin oak are loaded.. Limbs are sagging.. Live oaks too..

Yea the "Go hunt the acorn" crowd just do not understand. Its all good because it makes for a healthy winter heard..

Comment

What if I told y’all that you can kill deer at the oaks and save $ on corn?

Comment

Threads like this make me glad we do not have oak on my lease.

Comment

They were starting to fall here and there a few weeks ago in Harper. We’ll see how it looks this weekend.

The whole lease is solid oaks and not a cedar one, so it’s a little tough finding a good acorn spot lol.

Comment

I prefer they fall early in the season. It’s hot and most of the deer are still nocturnal anyway. Let em fall now before the hunting gets better. It’s inevitable so might as well get it over with!

Comment

Acorns falling like rain...

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post

Yea the "Go hunt the acorn" crowd just do not understand. Its all good because it makes for a healthy winter heard..

Yup. 20,000 plus live oak trees on 4,400 acres and probably the same amount of shinoaks... littered with thick cedar and mesquite trees in between. Just set up a stand and hunt on “the acorns” they say [emoji23]. Flip a coin and pic the right oak mott for a target buck with a 40 yard bow radius... no problem. Oh you live 5 hours away you say? Even better you can scout every day then. Hope your coin is lucky.

The good news is ours seem to be stunted . Much smaller than normal but there are still some there. Deer activity on the Coverts have lessened a tick. But hopefully it stays productive around corn and timed protein.
                  Last edited by Smart; 09-24-2019, 05:41 AM.

Comment

start collecting

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                      What if I told y’all that you can kill deer at the oaks and save $ on corn?
                      I'd tell you I've got around 1200 acres to hunt and 1000 of them are covered in oak trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        Yup. 20,000 plus live oak trees on 4,400 acres and probably the same amount of shinoaks... littered with thick cedar and mesquite trees in between. Just set up a stand and hunt on “the acorns” they say [emoji23]. Flip a coin and pic the right oak mott for a target buck with a 40 yard bow radius... no problem. Oh you live 5 hours away you say? Even better you can scout every day then. Hope your coin is lucky.

The good news is ours seem to be stunted . Much smaller than normal but there are still some there. Deer activity on the Coverts have lessened a tick. But hopefully it stays productive around corn and timed protein.

Could I pawn off several hundred acres of waist high broomweed on you? They really love that ****...

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          Could I pawn off several hundred acres of waist high broomweed on you? They really love that ****...
                          Neighbor told us this was the worst he has seen it in 20+ yrs

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                            Neighbor told us this was the worst he has seen it in 20+ yrs
                            I've mowed a bunch around the blinds and tried to creat trails. Not sure it will help with the acorns, but I know they won't walk out in that **** when it's standing....and it takes FOREVER to fall after it freezes. The mowed areas make some new green forbes and stuff when summer weeds die as well.

I'm going dove hunting this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              Didn't you start a thread about the rain on the dove opener? You are full of all kind of good news this hunting season..
                              LOL!!!

that's definitely NOT good it's all this 90+ degrees for a straight month and no rain. Even the trees have had it.

Comment

Now the coons wont have as much competition at our feeders

Comment

Working...
                                X